Basic website

How many clamshell miniature PCs including Gaming Controls and Linux, with FullHD screen and current ARM SoC are out there? :eek:
You get the point! Our biggest advantage is this. Thus we have to take every opportunity to breg about these features whenever Pyra is brought up. 

We need to plant these ideas of Pyra= the "clamshell miniature PCs including Gaming Controls and Linux, with FullHD screen and current ARM SoC" into people's brain with our web page. 

We have to convience people how a clamshell miniature linux pc with gaming controls is 1000 times better than an android phone with bluetooth keyboard and game pad attached on. (Please, no one mentions the cursed device that never came out and scammed our money)

Our website is like an elevator talk, we have to 1. make an impression. 2. tell the customer what's in for him/her. 3. convey our ideas clearly and honestly. (no making up marketing terms, as you've said)

I think the second point is the most important one that companies tends to miss by a mile. Good looks, or professional industrial design is not what the customers are looking for. We have to show them what the Pyra can be used for, and how it will improve their life qualities by a notch - may it document processing on the go, convinient GPS access, powerful hardware with second to none software support that can satisfy all their retro gaming needs. We can do a bit of research for them if it's possible, like showing them other similar products that provide some of our functionality, and tell them why they should pick the pyra not those. (do not just giving them promises on future potential)

This could be achieved by asking them a few problems that the pyra provides solutions, such as: do you want 20 hour battery life for your laptop? do you want to process documents in your pocket? have you got retro itches that have not been scratched for a long time? do you want to join the best retro gaming/ tech geek community that's both friendly and insightful? 

Most electronics these days are solutions looking for problems. Showing potential customers how pyra can realistically improve their lives sounds plausible to me. 

The possibilities are endless. If you are interested, you can always make a few threads and gather the wisedom of our community. 

We can reach our marketing goal without lying and giving out false promises, if honesty is what thou seeketh. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Fzero's layout is very nice (with the sidebar), but then, it feels a bit spaced-out and low-contrast.

Cloudef's stuff (with black or white (not grey) text) is much easier to read

Both sites do a good job of coping with different screen sizes :)

I like Cloudef's layout best. Fzero's design looks nice too, but I think it's a bit too "heavy", I prefer a more sober and functional style. And it certainly does not have enough contrast -- gray on slightly darker gray, that doesn't work.

The only problem I see with Cloudef's layout is that it lacks some distinctive element. Maybe using a strong color in a non-standard font for the headers like in my design? It currently uses only shades of gray and standard fonts, which makes it look a bit generic.

hmm... using nav links scrolls fine on mine, though only used it in Opera Mini, IE10 and Chrome

I like Cloudef's layout best. Fzero's design looks nice too, but I think it's a bit too "heavy", I prefer a more sober and functional style. And it certainly does not have enough contrast -- gray on slightly darker gray, that doesn't work.

The only problem I see with Cloudef's layout is that it lacks some distinctive element. Maybe using a strong color in a non-standard font for the headers like in my design? It currently uses only shades of gray and standard fonts, which makes it look a bit generic.
Here is Cloudef's design with some touches of red added; I also changed some of the text a bit:

http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/pyra2

The titles and header looks good. Not sure about the big red box though.

Edit: Actually looking at it longer. I don't see anything wrong with it :p

Edit2: Yeah this is really good, makes me want to kill myself less. Good job.

Don't let the looks fool you. It's not just yet another gaming console.

[...]

Don't let the fools lock you. Have the advantages of free and open source software in your pocket!
I really like this symmetry.

DragonBox Pyra. Don't let the looks fool you. Don't let the fools lock you.

Don't fear the white space :) ... Looking at it, I'm suspecting you mean the area on the left and right of the headings by the vast empty spaces?

Could enlarge those headings, or even make them within image banners which span the full width ... but IMO that would lose some of the cleanness and confuse the content more. Some space is needed.

Bear in mind only a little bit of content there, there would actually be more bulked out paragraphs for each section - I just typed a couple lines of blahblah for each page, just to example this layout style and colour scheme idea.

@ _wb_, I like that with the gradient and red touches.

Still think would be nicer to have those bullet point list items roll-up into an expandable container when screen is shrunk to a mobile size - Just seems a bit much of a block right up top of the page.

Alternatively, might look nicer it the image was wrapped on top of those bullet list items instead of being underneath them. So would see the logo header.. then the image... and then the list items

Side-by-side comparison of space usage between the two designs:

Compare the amount of content that appears on the first screenful of the page.

v8ud.png

Yeah, I see what you mean then.

At an instant their is all the main info you need given there. ...My one is more about the sections/pages.

I guess if you want it all on one, Cloudef's layout gets it all shown

Great work FZERO.. that is the perfect kind of splash page we need.

The more people are interested, the more they will continue to scroll. You can drop feed them information with some images.... I think that's better than having a big block of text

Red gray black white colourcheme on the left appeals and is easy to read. I like the right hand one better. Menu system on wbs one i liked

All very good, and i think its fabulous to produce something so fast, no less so considering where the current pandora landing page is at.

How about something like: http://occupyflash.org/  with less of the flashiness.

First an image, menu option nr2 being the tech specs. Like the fzero one.

• Also, if meaningful info text could be hosted on the wiki there wont be a need to totally revamp the whole thing, especially not relying on only ED, since he is taxed very hard.

Long term it would be nice to have an exploded view, or some interactive model you can click around on to learn more.

Back