Bards Tale Series

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
Back in the 80's there was a chain of stores in the U.S. named Crazy Eddies which sold various electronics. The owner turned out to be embezzling millions of dollars from the company and eventually caused the chain to close it's doors. Anyway, while they were going out of business they had big clearance sales so I rode my bicycle to one and cleared out all the Commodore 64 games. Three of these happened to be the entire Bards Tale Trilogy and which in turn caused me to become the big RPG fan I am today. Whenever I see an old school dungeon crawler I always think of those games so if you've never tried them I highly recommend them!

220px-Bards_Tale_Box_Cover.jpg

bt-amiga-guild.gif

220px-Bards_Tale_2_mac_box_art.jpg

imagesCAPUQZKW.jpg

220px-Bards_Tale_3_box_art.jpg

imagesCAVIZG7K.jpg

I tried Bards tale 1, very tough! Can't beat the atmostphere though, Hey have you ever tried Dragon Wars? Its made by the same people, I copied my old save from my computer to Dosbox on the Wiz, hope to beat it someday.. Those old games are so much tougher than alot of modern RPG's

I just had the datasette for my C64 and I don't know if a tape version exists, but I guess the gaming experience would have been quite bad. Maybe I should try the Amiga conversion(I guess your pics are taken from that version). Anyway, I can't remember playing any RPG on my C64. That started with my first Amiga and games like Eye of the Beholder, Ishar, Dragonflight and some others. For some reason, I've never been a fan of the Ultima series, though a lot of my friends liked them a lot.

Man , Ultima 5 was my first and favorite rpg ever and Wasteland for the c64 was awesome as well. The c64 had some real epic RPG's
Alternate Reality
Magic Candle
Bards Tale series, Dragon Wars , Wasteland (precurser to the Fallout games !)
Mars Saga
D and D gold box sets
Might and Magic 1,2

If you like the 3d type like Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Master etc, the Amiga was great as well

Oh hells yeah, WASTELAND!!!!! That was one of the others I picked up for $2 at that store. I can't wait for the sequel to come out, I backed it on KS a few months back.

I remember seeing a show a year or two ago about smart criminals and that "Crazy Eddies" guy was featured. He only got caught because his family turned on each other.

I never played any of the games, but wasn't there also a Bards Tale Construction Kit?

Back