Bard's Tale 1,2,3 & Wasteland

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
Would it be possible to port these games to the Wiz. I tried searching for any open source files for these games but pretty much came up empty. The only thing I found was the engine for the Bard's Tale Creator kit that was released after the trilogy. I realize they can be played with an emulator but ports are usually better. If they can't be ported does anyone know how the playabilty of these games is with the C64 emu?

Thanks in advance for any info!

A port without source code would be a pretty tall order - you'd be starting from scratch and that means a lot of work.

The good news is that The Bard's Tale was available on a host of computers and consoles!

Not only was there a C64 version there's also some nice 16-bit versions including for the Atari ST, Amiga, PC and Macintosh.

Have a look at the Atari ST version - that would be the easiest to emulate and offer decent graphics and speed of play.

Orion4874 said:
[...]If they can't be ported does anyone know how the playabilty of these games is with the C64 emu?
In Bards Tale 1 & 2 you had to type the magic-spell names, like ARFI, VOPL etc., so an emulator with excellent virtual keyboard support would be needed. Unfortunately there is no one, correct me if I´m wrong.
Bards Tale 3 had a menu-like system for spell- / inventory selection, so this would be the one with the best usability. As there are several other keys in use, an emulator with custom key-mappings is needed, so DosBox would be the choice.
There is also a NES version of Bards Tale 1, but the gfx are crap and there are many many things ripped from the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Orion4874 said:
Would it be possible to port these games to the Wiz. I tried searching for any open source files for these games but pretty much came up empty. The only thing I found was the engine for the Bard's Tale Creator kit that was released after the trilogy. I realize they can be played with an emulator but ports are usually better. If they can't be ported does anyone know how the playabilty of these games is with the C64 emu?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Hi all, I am a new member of forum. Would a newcomer be warmly welcome here? Good day you guys!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anna Lee, I think warmly welcomed is putting it a bit strong as you need a bit of a thick skin here. There's a bunch of griefers and retard around, but generally this is a nice geek enthusiast site. And the typical thread hijacking rules apply, try off topic -subforum.

Orion4874, I didn't try it, but there's a set of preconfigured dosbox configs floating around that supported wastelands, you should take a look at that. And I see no reason why it shouldn't work with c64, but generally I don't bother with games like this on it, due to the lack of keyboard. Been waiting for amiga and Atari ST to get mouse support for this purpose, but it's still missing.

Back