Backlit GBA etc

HelenF

Very Active Member
From https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/what-have-you-bought-recently.76032/page-53#post-1447803
@Gren @matzesu How's it going for you?

I hadn't used my backlit GBA for a while, and the Start button isn't working properly. I guess I'll need to open it and clean it out. The buttons on the old GBC aren't working too well either.

Curiously, the tiny hiragana in Link's Awakening are way more legible on a real GBC/GBA!

I never really noticed before, but it seems to be rounded pixels with gaps in between, on a black background. (And it's the same on a GBC, even though the screen is not black when turned off). The artists must have taken this into account.

Attachments

• 20190206_223752_crop.jpg
    20190206_223752_crop.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 241
Im quite impressed whit my Backlight GBA, i allready finished Super Mario Land on it, but whit the Everdrive GBA,
A bit bevor the last Level, my Battery was Empty, so it’s quite noticeable the higher Energy Draining cause the Backlight..
Maybe it’s also because the Gameboy Emulator from Everdrive..
I should maybe test this again whit the GB Everdrive or the Original Cardridge..

Ditnt had that much time to test more Games yet

12cdaa4baf8be1e793fddbd452a54810.jpg
eae364bf29a1a6aa86dce7d60e3ea676.jpg

The last picture Is a comparison against an AGS 001 GBA SP

I've not played too much yet - I realised last week that my rechargeable AAs were not in great shape (last used probably circa 2006!!)
So I ordered a new Energiser 1 hour charger with 4 2300mAh AA batteries, and that came yesterday.

I definitely prefer the ergonomics to the GBA SP, although I still feel getting to the shoulder buttons is still tricky even for my small hands. But mostly this isn't too much of a problem, and I definitely appreciate the clickiness of the new shoulder buttons. The DPad (as mentioned previously) is a bit spongy, although after testing my GC controller, it is indeed very similar!! (I guess the DPAD was used less in the "new" 3D world around that time!)
I'd love to mod a GBA SP Dpad into the refurb GBA, but I have the DIY skills of a sausage-fingered buffoon.

The small screen is a bit of a shock; I've only really portable gamed on a Vita/3DS XL recently, and 3" takes some getting used to again! But the screen is lovely, bright, clear and sharp - pretty much identical to my AGS-101.

The upgraded sound seems quite loud and clear, although I'll probably use headphones for longer gaming sessions. One annoying thing with the mono output of the GBA is the placement of the speaker - when your hands are over the A/B buttons, you are effectively blocking the sound coming out of the speaker! But at least the original GBA has a proper 3.5mm audio jack unlike the GBA SP that bizarrely required an adaptor!!

Overall I'm very happy with the machine, and over the coming days/weeks I will give my Everdrive X5 a workout on some of my favourite games. First up (already started) is Mario Golf Advance Tour :cool:

I'll update here if I have anything of note to add.....

Gren.

PS - I paid £129.99 for the "top of the line" GBA refurb Super Famicom edition. The upgraded shoulder buttons, audio and screen increase the base cost from £59.99, the vast majority of which I guess is the "new" backlit screen.

I finally got around to opening mine and cleaning all the gold button contacts. It seems to be working much better now. I attached some photos of the inside. (This one is older and from a different source than the ones which spawned this discussion.)

Attachments

• pcb_back.jpg
    pcb_back.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 176
  • pcb_front.jpg
    pcb_front.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 182
  • pcb_lifted.jpg
    pcb_lifted.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 187
I want this thread to be a bit higher on the Board, as i currently meassure how long my Retro Six GBA Plays whit the Rechargeble Batterys.. , .. also in comparassion to the GBA Micro that bought when it was new in a Local Electronic Shop
Maybe in 2004 or so..

Are there still good Protective Cases for the GBA Classic ? If this Thing losts longer than i though first, then maybe its cool for Traveling ^^

Maybe I should time mine too.

I was saying in another thread that the battery warning light comes on prematurely when using rechargeable batteries, so I have a choice between either sacrificing battery life or risking that it cuts out at the wrong moment. (Unmodded GBAs are the same, so it's not the fault of the mod.)

I wonder how long the Pyra will run Super Mario Land DX, ..
I dont think the GBA will my Everyday Carry Handheld, its just a nice to have Retro Collectors Item where i can play a bit whit my Original Cardridges, on a Authentic Envroivment, but as i have also the Pyra in hopefully some weeks, and this Thing would be EDC, i think when i want to play GBA /GB GBC Games, this thing would be the Way to go.., ..
But whit the Everdrive, i dont have big issues whit carrying the Gameboy Micro when i carry a Switch Lite and the 2DS XL whit me.. (which is not evey day)..

Are there still good Protective Cases for the GBA Classic ? If this Thing losts longer than i though first, then maybe its cool for Traveling ^^
Mine will fit in a DS lite case at a slight squeeze or a somewhat oversized 3DS case I bought with my original unit (oversized for my 3DS that is). But currently my original GBA is in bubblewrap, because my actual GBA case is being used to store my GBA and GBC games.

I'd have thought a Pandora case (currently on offer at the dragonbox shoppe) would be a good fit for a GBA first gen, though I don't have one.

I know its now a bit to short until the Pyra will get delivered, but out of curiousity: is Retrosix also selling the GBA SP whit the Newer Screen and the Headphone Jack, and a new Batterie ?
And where do i get a Replacement batterie Cover for the GBA Classic, as this was the only flaw i had on the GBA when i got it from Retrosix..

EDIT: Ok they have also a GBA SP, as a "Prestige Edition" whit everything in it, also a new 800 mah Batterie, the better screen etc, but in Yellow and for about 200 Pounds ^^ https://retrosix.co.uk/Game-Boy-Advance-SP-Prestige-Edition-Pikachu-Yellow-p238112918

I think i will wait for the Pyra and play on my allready maxed out GBA Classic ^^

Last edited:
Saved the Yellow Prestige Edition GBA SP from Brexit ^^
I wonder how well this thing will perform..
And in comparassion to my 2 GBA SP i allready have, which are the AGS 100 Models ^^
If this arives, i will make another Video..

Reactions: rSl
No Shipping mail yet, hopefully they get this Thing out of Great Britain as long as this Custom Free Thing is ..
If i remember correctly, its until Dezember 2020, then you have to pay custom fees for guts from Great Britain like you would do from USA or other Non European Countrys.., and as this Thing is around 200 €, ..
They dont modded a Headphone Jack in, but i have a Dongle Cable, as its not my First GBA SP..

How many MAH dos the Battery of a Original GBA SP have? they meantioned that they put a 850 mah Batterie in, so unlike the GBA Classic whit the AGS 101 Display Mod, i hope this will run a lot longer.., and as you charge the Batterie in the GBA SP whit the Including USB to GBA Charging Port Cable, it should be Vacation Friendly..

Thanks for the Answer although I could also unscrew the battery compartment of my badest looking gba sp (the blue one which is already scratched) an look for myself (and post a picture)

Send from something, i guess ^^

3450e6c86b6daa170b8bf525c902e241.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, its now on its way, and should arrive tomorow
this blue gba sp on the Picture was from a Sell and Buy Shop, and my second GBA after the GBA Micro.. , its also a AGS 001 and did cost me about 40 € or so.. when i bought it i also bought a lot of used Gameboy Games, including Super Mario Land 2, 2 Game and Watch Gallery Games, and i think some Konami Collections where Castlevania Advantures, Gradius etc where in..

It’s finally arrived, I ditnt made a unboxing video because I’m to tired,
Also there is no retrosix brandet Box but a Retrosix carry case which is just a bit to wide, maybe it’s for a normal Gameboy?
I found some key attachments and stickers, but not the USB Loading Cable they meantioned in the description..

The screen is a bit wider than a normal GBA SP screen, and it should also be brighter than the AGS 101 in the modded GBA Classic..

But I didn’t found the time for a test..

I don’t mind whit the cable, I have lots of wall plugs for the GBA SP..

Edit: the sticker on the GBA said that it needs 3,3 Volts Input to charge, but I only have a Original GBA SP Charger , and the Original GBA SP AGS 001 takes 5,4 Volts, so can I use the Charger?

Last edited:
As long as the sticker doesn't say it needs no more than 3.3V to charge I guess it's probably okay. As long as the charge port fits I would guess it's okay, but if I weren't so sure, I would connect it momentarily, then connect it a bit longer and check nothing becomes too warm on the case nearabouts the charge port, before finally admitting it's all okay, but maybe that's just me.

Edit: I got that first sentence backwards the first time I wrote it. Now fixed.

Last edited:
I asked the support to be sure,
But I also think that 5 volt may be fine, because they meantioned a USB Charging Cable, and USB is 5 Volt ..

Ok, i got an answer from the Support: 3,3 Volts will not charge the system, but the GBA SP/DS Charger AGS 003 will work ^^
If i get some time today, i think i will post some pictures, and my Video maybe tomorow or on Sunday, if tomorrow is more sutable for Bike Tour..

Back