Backlit GBA etc

HelenF

Very Active Member
From https://pyra-handheld.com/boards/threads/what-have-you-bought-recently.76032/page-53#post-1447803
@Gren @matzesu How's it going for you?

I hadn't used my backlit GBA for a while, and the Start button isn't working properly. I guess I'll need to open it and clean it out. The buttons on the old GBC aren't working too well either.

Curiously, the tiny hiragana in Link's Awakening are way more legible on a real GBC/GBA!
I never really noticed before, but it seems to be rounded pixels with gaps in between, on a black background. (And it's the same on a GBC, even though the screen is not black when turned off). The artists must have taken this into account.

Attachments

matzesu

Hardcore Member
Staff member
Im quite impressed whit my Backlight GBA, i allready finished Super Mario Land on it, but whit the Everdrive GBA,
A bit bevor the last Level, my Battery was Empty, so it’s quite noticeable the higher Energy Draining cause the Backlight..
Maybe it’s also because the Gameboy Emulator from Everdrive..
I should maybe test this again whit the GB Everdrive or the Original Cardridge..

Ditnt had that much time to test more Games yet

The last picture Is a comparison against an AGS 001 GBA SP

Gren

Website
Visit site
I've not played too much yet - I realised last week that my rechargeable AAs were not in great shape (last used probably circa 2006!!)
So I ordered a new Energiser 1 hour charger with 4 2300mAh AA batteries, and that came yesterday.

I definitely prefer the ergonomics to the GBA SP, although I still feel getting to the shoulder buttons is still tricky even for my small hands. But mostly this isn't too much of a problem, and I definitely appreciate the clickiness of the new shoulder buttons. The DPad (as mentioned previously) is a bit spongy, although after testing my GC controller, it is indeed very similar!! (I guess the DPAD was used less in the "new" 3D world around that time!)
I'd love to mod a GBA SP Dpad into the refurb GBA, but I have the DIY skills of a sausage-fingered buffoon.

The small screen is a bit of a shock; I've only really portable gamed on a Vita/3DS XL recently, and 3" takes some getting used to again! But the screen is lovely, bright, clear and sharp - pretty much identical to my AGS-101.

The upgraded sound seems quite loud and clear, although I'll probably use headphones for longer gaming sessions. One annoying thing with the mono output of the GBA is the placement of the speaker - when your hands are over the A/B buttons, you are effectively blocking the sound coming out of the speaker! But at least the original GBA has a proper 3.5mm audio jack unlike the GBA SP that bizarrely required an adaptor!!

Overall I'm very happy with the machine, and over the coming days/weeks I will give my Everdrive X5 a workout on some of my favourite games. First up (already started) is Mario Golf Advance Tour :cool:

I'll update here if I have anything of note to add.....

Gren.

PS - I paid £129.99 for the "top of the line" GBA refurb Super Famicom edition. The upgraded shoulder buttons, audio and screen increase the base cost from £59.99, the vast majority of which I guess is the "new" backlit screen.

HelenF

Very Active Member
I finally got around to opening mine and cleaning all the gold button contacts. It seems to be working much better now. I attached some photos of the inside. (This one is older and from a different source than the ones which spawned this discussion.)

Attachments