Backgrounds by FaeMinx - First pass

FaeMinx

Rainbow Liberation Instigation
As *vaguely* promised, my primary aim is to create content for the Open Pandora.

I know I gave the impression I was going to work on the 'official' mascot/s, and I still intend to (I already have some material tucked away that's not ready for public viewing), but after getting to know more about the community - i decided my concepts needed to be reworked. On that front I'll keep you posted.

However, now that I have my *OWN* Pandora, I couldn't resist putting together some backgrounds (one of the first things I did upon receiving it).

These were quickly made with my own artwork already semi-processed. Some are good, and I'm sure most could use some more love. There's not much I enjoy more than image editing my own creations, so even though I have a mighty learning curve ahead of me regarding true intimacy with my Pandora - if you have any suggestions to improve any of these backgrounds I'll leap right onto it.

ChinkyLinks01.png

DreamCloud.png

Firefly01.png

Matio-Dark.png

RainbowBrite-Grey.png

Rift01.png

Rift-Dark.png

Hi

I see these are .png can .jpg be used also ?

Hi

I see these are .png can .jpg be used also ?

I was under the impression .PNG was the required format - the reason I saved these files as such. However, I'm completely new to this so can't give a definitive answer.

I assume you have some .JPG you intend to use?

Hi

I can save them as either :)

JPG can be used also, but I don't know why you would want to lower the image-quality by going with JPG, when PNG is available. :p

Those are some pretty nice backgrounds there, by the way. Also, do my eyes deceive me, or do I spot Rainbow Brite in one of them? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Prometheus, check the picture name :)

PNG vs. JPEG short story: PNG does lossless compression, JPEG does lossy. JPEG is fine for photographs and generally stuff with lots of noise, but horrible for vector graphics and other "clean" images.

On topic: those wallpapers are really nice :)

Those are some pretty nice backgrounds there, by the way. Also, do my eyes deceive me, or do I spot Rainbow Brite in one of them? :D

Yep! :) This drawing is a tribute to one of the pivotal cartoons of my childhood. You'll notice that apart from the more refined features and dynamic stance, I've modernized her footware too!

im loving the evil dragon, much better then EvilDragon's version of it, no offense to the man himself though

There is a resemblance I admit, but Chinkylinks is a character I thought up long before I knew about the Open Pandora. :)

I promise to do an Evil Dragon one of these days.

Very nice, I like them.

The one with the hand looks a bit weird, mostly because only three fingers are sticked in the surface which makes an unusual gesture, I think - still very nicely drawn.

My favourite is the third one entitled firefly, I like the drawn character over the photographs of the different kinds of papers and effects :)

This thread is now about cheese the Pandora background repository that ED promised.

Very nice, I like them.

The one with the hand looks a bit weird, mostly because only three fingers are sticked in the surface which makes an unusual gesture, I think - still very nicely drawn.
Also because although there are 3 fingers sticking through the surface, at first glance only 2 of them seem to be there looking through the surface, which makes it kinda surreal. Closer inspection shows what might be considered another finger but to my mind that could also just be part of the background.

I can't help thinking there's a wrongness to having a character called Rainbow Brite done in grey... which I reckon says more about me than about the artwork, which I actually quite like.

My favourite of these images though is probably Chinkylinks.

The reason for that was at the time I was obsessed with an alternate parallel reality in which I was a furry little creature with - yes, forepaws totaling three fingers and a thumb each. :)

Back