Awful game ideas.


Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
4,189
Age
40
Location
The Netherlands
Website
Visit site
You know what I like for short whiles? Onedimensional games.
There was this fantastic shooting game that had great music and moved your line you were on in 3D.
Then there was this 1 dimensional game that actually cheated: You also had color. So there were baddies and doors (and lootboxes). Shoot the baddies, once the shot baddy with the correct color blinks (it's a key), you grab the key and can continue through the door.
I guess those are 2 or 3 dimensional, it seems there is a strong time component.
 

FBnil

I promise to cut my personal CO2 emissions by 2060
Joined
Dec 14, 2012
Messages
4,444
Location
Yurp
@elw3 This is a pretty good game if you polish up the proof-of-concept. Attacks come in waves, a carnage counter, some background music, shield and beam sounds - I'll try to find something matching in the weekend.
the playing field is maybe too long, but not for the first 3 times I've played it to get used to the controls. I also need to know how many seconds I lasted when love exits (I can't tell how long I lasted)

What weapons I get:

1 a red beam. Hold long to shoot really far
2 A green Shield. Stays in one spot. I do not seem to get a supershield if I hold longer.
3 a blue beam. Hold long to shoot really far
4 white dash, kills off all baddies in the vincity, but only the way you are facing. (I'm missing this weapon!). Can only be obtained by a drop (baddy dies and drops a thin white object).

Shoot the baddies with the complementary color to kill them. Use your shield to slow them down, and they will change color in a way that mostly you can kill them with red or blue (but not always, for example: if you get an exotic color)
shoot your shield to get another color.

shoot your green shield with red beam: Yellow beam: kills off blue baddies. But red baddies go into rage mode and attack you at full speed.
shoot your green shield with blue beam: Cyan beam: kills off red baddies


This game is worthy of a dbp/pnd, It should be banned from the "awful game ideas" and get it's own development thread.

ps: can I give you your beer back now?
 

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Joined
Sep 15, 2015
Messages
2,498
Age
34
Location
North Carolina, USA
I was thinking a few days ago, you ever see one of those crane games that says “play until you win”? It surprises me that it took decades for them to turn crane games into something actually fun. I was thinking that there’s gotta be some video game genre that can be improved with the same concept, but I’m not sure which one. To be fair, I guess all video games could be called “play until you win”, but that doesn’t stop people from hitting walls, usually skill based ones. I guess what I want to eliminate is the part where you fail and load your auto save.

Here’s an example that’s appropriate for this thread: A baseball game, but your team gets unlimited outs in the ninth inning. I guess they would have to be the home team.
 

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Joined
Sep 15, 2015
Messages
2,498
Age
34
Location
North Carolina, USA
I had a strange idea. A life sim, but based on my guesses at the workings of the universe, as revealed by near death experiences. Basically, reincarnation would be a thing. Sort of a rogue-lite take on the genre. You would have a soul that carries certain things from life to life. Not knowledge, obviously, but affinities, and even issues. You would have a mission for each life, but in true universe fashion, it would not be known to you. From what I hear, completing the mission is an inevitability anyway if you survive all the way to one of your designated exit points, so I could just design the game like that. I also hear that the only two things that can cause you to fail to reach an exit point are suicide and addiction.

Yep, a life sim about avoiding suicide and addiction. I’m in the right thread.
 

Djoga'Ro

moonstruck
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
2,118
Try to define suicide non-arbitrarily.

Also, if addiction makes you fail, good luck trying not to use oxigen, water, food, sleep, not to keep yourself buisy, not to do nothing, not to use warmth, a certain amount of air pressure... .

You'll need to drop the premise of universal objectivity or doom the player to fail.
 

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Joined
Sep 15, 2015
Messages
2,498
Age
34
Location
North Carolina, USA
Here's an awful idea I had a long time ago, but didn't tell you guys about. It's an RPG called "I've Got 99 Skills". During character creation, you rank 99 skills based on importance. The top skill has a 99% chance of success, the bottom skill has a 1% chance of success, and the rest correspond to their ranking in the same way. There's no way to improve any of them during the game either. Just gotta work with what you've got.
 

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Joined
Sep 15, 2015
Messages
2,498
Age
34
Location
North Carolina, USA
I made a post in the Communication Cube once about possibly using Big Five as a basis for personality in a life sim. I rejected it because I was having a weird day. I was thinking now that it might actually be doable. My idea, which I almost got to before, would be to treat the five factors as separate personalities. You would basically get ten personalities, since only the extremes matter. Off the top of my head, the Big Five are openness to new experience, conscientiousness, extroversion, agreeableness, and neuroticism.

I took a quiz about this once and got low conscientiousness as my most extreme trait, so I guess my personality would be whatever that one is. "Scatterbrain"?
 

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Joined
Sep 15, 2015
Messages
2,498
Age
34
Location
North Carolina, USA
You know, all any game idea, good or bad, needs is some effort put into it to make it interesting. Case in point, this site: http://www.umop.com/rps101.htm

The guy not only came up with 101 hand gestures for rock-paper-scissors, but 5050 stated outcomes. If you didn't know that a turnip could defeat Satan by disgusting him, now you do.
 

netcat

Very Active Member
Joined
May 3, 2016
Messages
572
Location
city of thieves
I think you should contact Ed and tell him you cancelled the order under the influence and it was a mistake.

My game idea is Tetris Hold 'Em. It allows one to "hold" your current piece allowing the next one to drop. Essentially swapping the order of pieces. It's more risky obviously so there's more excitement and fun than the original.
 
Last edited:

TeDaDeS

Advanced Member
Joined
Jan 15, 2004
Messages
1,266
Location
The Netherlands
Website
Visit site
Totally non violent driving simulator, like GTA but whitout G and T ^^, but Youtube Friendly ^^
I think people would actually still enjoy GTA if they didn't emphasize the violence part. Just drive to your golf course and play some golf. Or do some taxi driving to make money.

I hope one day they'll release two version. The one with and one without (emphasize on) violence. See which one makes more money.
 

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2008
Messages
11,736
Age
37
Location
Germany,, Saarland, at home
You can play the GTAs whitout Violence, all you have to do is to get a 100 % Savegame, so you dont need the Missions, and you have to drive a bit carefully.. but then: Drive around, Fly whit your Helicopter, play Golf etc..
Most of the Time i played just to drive and fly around..
 

atari_afternoon

Very Active Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2012
Messages
751
Location
Germany
LOL exactly, that´s exactly what I have been doing with my 100% savegame (on the PSP) for years,and nothing else: earning money by stunts :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: rSl

kuru

Laptop und Trachtenjanker
Joined
Oct 8, 2008
Messages
3,061
Location
the mockracy
I loved driving around trucks in Operation Flashpoint. Steering with the mouse is so precise! Such a pleasure piloting a lumbering vehicle over single-track roads, taking tight turns perfectly.
There comes to mind that one motorcycle racing game for the NDS that has steering, acceleration and breaking all analogue via stylus input - it works like a charm and is, at least for me, much more immersive than a gamepad and totally possible on any touchscreen device.
 

matzesu

Forum Addict!
Staff member
Joined
Oct 24, 2008
Messages
11,736
Age
37
Location
Germany,, Saarland, at home
I dit a porting Request for Rigs of Rods, which is a realy cool Driving Simulator,
Or BemNG, although i dont know if this is Opensource or could work on the Pyra
 

Bosbeetle

Terminally lost
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
4,189
Age
40
Location
The Netherlands
Website
Visit site
Free roaming prison game, you are an inmate you get to go everywhere a real inmate can go. There are mini games during the air breaks, and when you do your job/work. But you will be locked up a substantial time of the game. You can choose to read while locked up but other activities are more prohibited. Once in a while you get to talk to an NPC from outside prison and you can interact with the NPCs inside prison. Escaping is imposible.
 
Top