Awful game ideas.

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
One of the ways I kept ruining the Pyra IRC channel was to talk about all the awful game ideas I kept having. If I ever want to be let back in there, I'd better move that stuff over here to Off Topic. You guys can post your awful game ideas too.

My latest awful game idea is basically an entire game made up of the conversation system from Shin Megami Tensei. I call it SocialPaths. You join a fictional in-game social media network called SocialPaths, then try to collect all the in-game friends by first reading their profile to get info on them, then messaging them and having a Shin Megami Tensei style conversation where you pick the answers you think they like in order to convince them to befriend you.

I know I should talk less and code more, but like I said, this thread is just for awful game ideas. As far as you know, I also have good ones that I'm working on in secret. >_>

this is one of your more promising threads. let me fire up the idea-machine and i'll be back...

I had an idea for game where you have to look for buried pipes, to be called "Duct Hunt".

Even wrote a prototype, by the gameplay made no sense, so it was abandoned.

Even wrote a prototype,
Screenshots please! I am a visual person! The title IS catchy... you should do something with that.
How I visualize it: It is a sidescroller, like loderunner. And there are pipes in the ground you can dig up. Make a hole, jump in, and get out (which takes some time). Meanwhile, there are people walking around that should not fall in (lose points/get sued). Once you collect pipes in different shapes, you go to another minigame where you connect them together to get water away from your house. If all rooms are wet, you lose.
Maybe something like this:

Here is D-Railed. A game where you had to derail a ruby (on rails) by moving it along the tracks. The ruby has no wheels, but moves forward by itself. It made no sense the day after. Don't program at 3 am while half asleep.
drailed.jpeg
[doublepost=1518037644,1518036606][/doublepost]
conversation where you pick the answers you think they like in order to convince them to befriend you.
3. Hey, I went to your farmville and watered some plants.

i had the idea back in high school programming class to be the teacher of a classroom of kids trying to make their BASIC programs work. you'd go in and solve their bugs, drink coffee, that sort of thing.

my teacher was super excited about that concept (it was for the end-of-the-year project or something), but then i switched over to a game where you played as neo in the brawl scene from matrix 2, but with names changed to protect copyright. it was a 2d side-view game with a stick you waved around using the mouse, and you could slow down time and jump around. there was blood and stuff. i still have it hanging around, let me see if it will run under wine...

Screenshots please! I am a visual person! The title IS catchy... you should do something with that.

The idea was more that there's a buried cable, but nobody left any plans saying where it is, so you have to dig up the garden looking for it. Grass (green) tiles can be dug, paved (grey) can't. Aim is to work out where the cable is without digging too many holes in the lawn.

Each map is randomly generated, though very crudely.

Somewhere between Black Box and Minesweeper, I suppose...

Attachments

• ducthunt.png
    ducthunt.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 432
I was working on a game that has no graphical output but instead uses sound to tell you where an object is.
I have written the sound stuff so far but then realized that i have no idea what kind of gameplay i can insert there.

THAT would need a full fleged 3D engine tho, its rather pointless to write such and then have it not outputting anything....

I was reminded of another awful game idea I had a few nights ago. It's called Everything Fishing. It's a life sim that takes place in a world where people fish for everything. Want food? Go to the grocery lake and fish for it. Want a job? Go to the employment lake and fish for it. Want a fish? Noone knows where those come from, but if you fish at the investigation lake enough, you might just find out. >_>

I was working on a game that has no graphical output but instead uses sound to tell you where an object is.
I have written the sound stuff so far but then realized that i have no idea what kind of gameplay i can insert there.
That could use VR. You could shout or click towards things like a bat to work out your position in the world, and there could be instructions on the TV screen for your "friend" so that they may nudge you, when you bumped in to one of those high-def, pitch black walls.

So blindmans buff with 300€ blindfolds?
Joke aside, reflections like a bat are horrible for gameplay.

Recently, when I'm not super tired after work I am drawing up a cRPG game system for blind people (thinking about games, and in general interfaces for visually impaired people is exciting to me), coming out of the thought/mental excercise "How much would Betrayal At Krondor, engine and content-wise have to change to be playable without seeing anything?".

One guy supposedly completed Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time using stereo sound and banging on the walls with the sword (took him 5 years; there are some videos somewhere). Not sure if the game was modified in any way. Near-blind users seem to play a ton of moderate-to-hella action crpg's relying on their ears.

What I mean to say, Your "sound stuff" could have a ton of use. Definitely keep Your eyes open for some place where it could benefit others.

I had a device made for blind ppl which can play games and such, seems there exist bigger rpgs entirely spoken for it. This is why i had the idea in the first place.
When i try to load these games the device kinda bricks itself tho :/

funny, i was thinking about something similar for a while O_O i was wondering about games for blind people and came up with an audio novel supported by head tracking via htc's vive and a load of environmental sounds (plus maybe a carpet with different kinds of bumps on it so people know where the tracking area ends and a real-life wall starts XD). gameplay could involve pointing at stuff (idk, maybe you gotta connect two sources of ~noise-emitting energy~ by pointing one of the controller at one source and the other one at the other), a part-of-the-floor-is-lava kind of room (scan the floor with the controller; if it vibrates or smth, don't step on it), etc.

on-topic: a first-person shooter where you don't get guns immediately, but have to paint them color by numbers style. depending on how accurate your painting is, the gun's stats are either shit or awesome. you get ammo by using a stencil cutter on empty pieces of paper (or paper sheets for guns you don't want).

Back