Attention All Personel, Incomming N00bz

DaveC posted on Sep 20 2005 at 02:36 AM said:
Just wondering what is happening. I haven't seen this much new activity here for a LONG time. Is this GP32 or GP2X getting some publicity from somewhere that we don't know of?
So if you are a n00b maybe you could tell us where you heard of the GP32/GP2X?

We've been slashdotted... again ;)
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/05/0...tid=184&tid=106

Last edited by a moderator:
mrdark posted on Sep 20 2005 at 07:49 AM said:
Totally agree with you, what we should do is make them feel welcomed.  We all used to be 'noobs' previously.

Hear hear. When I first inquired (on a totally different board) about the likelihood of finding Dracula X, someone told me to get it in some specific portal or something akin to a filesharing network. When I asked him how I was supposed to do this, his next few pms were increasingly billigerent. First he asked what I was doing there if I didn't know what he was talking about, then later he told me to write to him if I "can't figure it out and need to be baby-stepped through it". Finally after admitting my lack of experience but asking him to take it easy, his last email was dripping with condescention. "First GO TO (site name). Can you do that? Now CLICK (X link). Can you do that?" This went on for a paragraph or two, and made even less sense that it had before. Not daring to ask him to explain more politely, I instead told him to fuck himself and left the site. Hey, he had it coming. You can all see from my queries here that I don't act like a prick.

So thank you guys for remembering what it was like to have all these fantastic possibilities in front of you, barring only your lack of understanding how to use it. Think of it this way- you're the elders passing on your secrets to a hungry young new generation. You're doing your part to keep these words of wisdom alive, and cultivating further interest in this sweet system, and that can only be good!

Oh and Rambo kicks ass- at least "First Blood" did. But I got your point.

Im far from being a noob, altho its been over a year since i sold my gp32, but the community is by far the most friendly since the heady days of the Amiga. After selling my gp32 i went over to pocket pc and the `community` is shocking, no life to it and no fun. Maybe thats down to the fact that most owners are suit wearing stiffs (crap im wearing a suit today as well lol)

Another great thing is the generosity of the comunity at large and the quality and range of the freeware software. Got REALLY sick of every piece of software, regardless of if its yet another bloody puzzle game being sold for £10-20 a shot, 99% of the stuff is such a rip off
so welcome all, get your preorders in and enjoy the worlds best kept secret

i'm newbie, and i have heard og gp2x via google,
i was looking for a linux embedded game console, and i ordered gp2x in 30 minutes.
When will the ship begin????

i'm an SDL linux GPL coder really anxious to have that toy.

is the kernel released under GPL?
which license is used?

Yeah the original was the best but i enjoyed the second one, the third one was totally OTT though !

Probably cant make films like that anymore, people are too PC and will moan how the image of arabs or vietnamese etc are negative in these pictures bla bla bla.

Pity, for a kid of about 13/14 these films were great !

psj3809 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 10:38 AM said:

Yeah the original was the best but i enjoyed the second one, the third one was totally OTT though !

Probably cant make films like that anymore, people are too PC and will moan how the image of arabs or vietnamese etc are negative in these pictures bla bla bla.

Pity, for a kid of about 13/14 these films were great !

80`s action movies blow anything away made these days, van dame,arnie,segal,stallone - They proper action movies!

These days moviestudios are too interested in making as much money as possible and castrating what should be nice and violent movies, chopping out all the good bits and making them pg and 12 movies just so they can earn a bit more cash.

Oh and Rambo 4 is currently in preproduction (along with Rocky 6) - Lets blow up some evil arabs

newbies are good, but it all depends... what type of newbies we get:

1) Technically competent and/or gaming knowledgeable newbies, preferably 17+. (yes I know some younger teens can be awesome, but in general...)

or

2) Annoying, ignorant kiddiesZ from the PSP warez scene, who will demand things like "why is there no Super Smash Bros emulatorZ or Windows98 emulatorZ yet!!!! I want it!!!"

I can't stand the PSP scene kids. So I really hope they stay with the PSP. ;)

incomingbaby5og5tl.jpg

Run for the hills!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :( :( :(

DaveC Please edit that post to something less offensive. I know what you mean but it sounds all wrong.

Anyone who gets a GP2X will be new to it. It will be a different device from the GP32. It will work differently, It will attract people from Linux/SDL community, that will know more than you about the device and how it works.

Jarska333 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 01:50 PM said:
incomingbaby5og5tl.jpg

Run for the hills!!! :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: :( :( :(

thats just the coolest pic ever

Cyclops posted on Sep 20 2005 at 01:54 PM said:
DaveC Please edit that post to something less offensive. I know what you mean but it sounds all wrong.

Anyone who gets a GP2X will be new to it. It will be a different device from the GP32. It will work differently, It will attract people from Linux/SDL community, that will know more than you about the device and how it works.

Stop trying to make DaveC look bad, his post was perfectly fine, nothing offensive, there are plenty of newbs coming here, he was pointing that out and asking them specifically where they came from. How that's offensive I don't know, but regardless "STFU n00b".

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 20 2005 at 04:25 PM said:
I think Cyclops meant timeslip, not DaveC...

Me ? what did i say!

No I meant DaveC topic, and I'm not trying to make out what he's said is bad. I think what he says is misleading, and sounds bad. As I said I know what he meant.

Gruntfuggly posted on Sep 20 2005 at 04:25 PM said:
I think Cyclops meant timeslip, not DaveC...

So then mr gruntfuggly what exactly did I say that you found offensive ?

x68000 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 04:47 PM said:
what timslip said is true - no use denying it is there?

Damn right! if i had the chance i`d do it again i tell yah

Come on guys, I'm a newb and I wasn't offended. I think it was a good point- I'm on the Gamespot forums a lot to catch up with console information and it's ridiculous how many immature goons are there wanting to just argue their systems' holiness or make stupid comments.

I think the main point was that the system's getting a sudden resurgence, and he's wondering why this is. At least, that's my perspective, being new to the system.

But again, I wasn't offended by anything. Alas, it takes a great deal to offend me online so maybe I'm different.......

Eh, newest noob here. I don't take offense to the designation, but do hope that this is a friendly place, since I found out about the gp2x today and instantly placed my pre-order. Hopefully the trolls will stay away and let us new customers enjoy the forums and the learning process of what this killer gadget can do.

And my guess about all the traffic is that it's coming from your link on today's boingboing. That's where I found out about it.

Can't wait to get my new toy-

Jason

newb>n00b Newb is new guy, willing to learn from his (numerous) mistakes. n00b just ignores advice, and tells people with different viewpoints than him to suck monkey balls.

n00B is the most likely candidate to use the word n00B. It's in the statistics.

Back