Attention All Personel, Incomming N00bz

DaveC

Internal Development
I have been noticing lately that this forum is being bombarded with newbz, lots of 'em. Not that it is bad.

Just wondering what is happening. I haven't seen this much new activity here for a LONG time. Is this GP32 or GP2X getting some publicity from somewhere that we don't know of?

So if you are a newb maybe you could tell us where you heard of the GP32/GP2X?

Kind of curious. Maybe this will give a clue of where to "advertise" the system better.

I like to think of 'em as "newbs" unless they prove otherwise ;)

TelcoLou posted on Sep 20 2005 at 02:39 AM said:
I like to think of 'em as "newbs" unless they prove otherwise  ;)

Newbs, n00bz, newbies, same thing, different "spelling"..

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was all the same thing as "newbs".

I think you are referring to "nobs" or knobs" as the retards.

Anyway the intention was nothing derrogatory. I was just curious where everyone has heard of this site all of a sudden. It seems like the last month or so it is getting more popular. I see more "newbs" than regulars almost :)

It is a good thing that it is getting better known.

I don't know where they're coming from; it seems that every once in a while a wave of new users just show up all at once. Regardless of how they get here, I love seeing the community grow. :)

And any newb can always be directed to Gamepark newbie. Currently, the GP2X section is in need of some major updating, but I'll get on that in the coming days.

"Noob" is more of a sarcastic derivation of "Newbie" which generally denotes a slur towards an unwanted element.

Yeah I know, Internet lingo is a b1+ch.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Sep 20 2005 at 02:52 AM said:
n00bs tend to be retards we all mock for the fun of it. newbs are people new to the scene, so personally, i think they're different B)

STFU n00b :lol:

No seriously answer the question, where did you hear about GP2X??

I'm guessing a lot of people are talking about it in other dev forums. As much as we talk about the DS, PSP, and whatever else is out there they have to be disscussing our systems too. Many of these communities are pretty incestuous. :p

I personally, like handheld gaming. I am also a fan of 2D gaming. I own around 8 different handheld systems. I began to see the name GP32 casually mentioned, but no info, on some of the gaming sites that I was visiting and became very curious and began searching the net for information. When I found out about the emulation and homebrew stuff, I had to have one. I consider it one of my top handhelds.
My handhelds are, GP32, Turbo Express, Swancrystal, Lynx, Nomad, Gameboy SP, Nintendo DS, and SNK Pocket Color. Not to mention the old Gameboys, of which there are several.

Most of them are probably coming from /. , a.k.a n00b central, due to the GP2X (and us) being referenced twice as front-page stories in the last 4 months or so.

darkman posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:43 AM said:
I personally, like handheld gaming. I am also a fan of 2D gaming. I own around 8 different handheld systems. I began to see the name GP32 casually mentioned, but no info, on some of the gaming sites that I was visiting and became very curious and began searching the net for information. When I found out about the emulation and homebrew stuff, I had to have one. I consider it one of my top handhelds.
My handhelds are, GP32, Turbo Express, Wonderswan, Lynx, Nomad, Gameboy SP, Nintendo DS, and SNK Pocket Color. Not to mention the old Gameboys, of which there are several.

What gaming site did you hear of it?

iignotus posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:44 AM said:
Most of them are probably coming from /. , a.k.a n00b central, due to the GP2X (and us) being referenced twice as front-page stories in the last 4 months or so.

That must be it as the GP32 has been around for a long time and is mentioned on other sites alot. There has never been as much action then as there is now though.

Alpha2 posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:23 AM said:
Yeah I know, Internet lingo is a b1+ch.

I guess I am not l337 enough yet :p

DaveC posted on Sep 19 2005 at 09:54 PM said:
darkman posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:43 AM said:
My handhelds are, GP32, Turbo Express, Wonderswan, Lynx, Nomad, Gameboy SP, Nintendo DS, and SNK Pocket Color. Not to mention the old Gameboys, of which there are several.

What gaming site did you hear of it?
portagame is one such site. I can't remember some of the others. I will have to go back through my bookmarks.

Well, I for one have been mentioning the GP2X in discussions on various other sites that I go to. I doubt it lured many people in (if any at all), but perhaps a lot of GP32 users are now doing the same thing, since a successor handheld is quite big news. Maybe it's a cumulative effect. :)

Hello all. I know to the community I am a newb (hopefully not regarded as a n00b).

I've not had a GP32, as I didn't want to invest in Smartmedia anymore. SD for the GP2X is a welcome addition to me. I haven't done any programming for next to anything but a 6502 processor to be completely honest. I have a PSP, but I've found that the community is disagreeable to me. There is too much bickering and speculation, making progress difficult for developers I'm sure. I've been keeping up with the GP32 since the first time I saw it, and I hope the GP2X doesn't bring any community elements from the PSP camp. I pre-ordered a GP2X, and can't wait to receive it. It'll be nice to get to develop on the system naturally instead of having to deal with exploits. Anywho, everyone, have a good one.

Wow, I wasn't aware of the semantics between "noob" and "newb". But hey, I haven't settled on whether I'm a trekkie or trekker yet either. But call me a newb then, I guess. I'm certainly not retarded but I am new to this system.

It was rhetorically wondered what caused a new influx of us newbs to your site. Speaking for myself, it was actually an interesting situation. It's my 27th birthday this friday and I was wondering what to suggest as a gift idea. I stumbled on Wikipedia, and finding that site fascinating I looked up public opinion of my as-of-now-EX favorite handheld, the Nomad. Long story short, that linked me to an article of the Pocket Famicom, and when I was looking up sites on that it linked me to GBA flash cards, which eventually linked me to another P.F. review, which casually mentioned the GP32. Looking at the specs and reviews of the system on Lik-Sang (and its status as out of stock) led me to ebay. Winning that auction for a considerable chunk of cash, I decided to learn as much as I could about the system by the time I received it. Thus, I found this site and it's been exemplary in helping me to understand and prepare for using my new investment.

Thanks for saying we're not all bad though. I have 20 years of gaming under my belt but in the late 90s technology jumped past me and everyone found out about the intricacies of this stuff, so it's nice for those behind like me to have a place to be assisted and advance past newbility. Sure, there are some who say "OMG CAN SUM1 SELL ME THE 32xP CHEAP ILL PAY 100 DOLLARS AND CAN U GIVE ME SUM AGMES CUZ I CANT FIND ANY!!!" But I at least try to be polite and coherent, because some of us really fit that second definition- we're like you, but we're just new.

shinneri posted on Sep 20 2005 at 03:06 AM said:
I don't know where they're coming from; it seems that every once in a while a wave of new users just show up all at once. Regardless of how they get here, I love seeing the community grow. :)

Totally agree with you, what we should do is make them feel welcomed. We all used to be 'noobs' previously.

More the merrier if people are getting into the GP32. What we dont want what i've seen in the past is noobs being attacked for asking questions which have been asked in the past. Too many online people act like 'Rambo' whereas in person they are normally a coward. The majority of people in forums dont really search for an old question which has been answered in the past and instead ask the same one again. Just a fact on forums.

Anyway the influx of people is great here

Totally agree with you, what we should do is make them feel welcomed. We all used to be 'noobs' previously.

Hear hear. When I first inquired (on a totally different board) about the likelihood of finding Dracula X, someone told me to get it in some specific portal or something akin to a filesharing network. When I asked him how I was supposed to do this, his next few pms were increasingly billigerent. First he asked what I was doing there if I didn't know what he was talking about, then later he told me to write to him if I "can't figure it out and need to be baby-stepped through it". Finally after admitting my lack of experience but asking him to take it easy, his last email was dripping with condescention. "First GO TO (site name). Can you do that? Now CLICK (X link). Can you do that?" This went on for a paragraph or two, and made even less sense that it had before. Not daring to ask him to explain more politely, I instead told him to fuck himself and left the site. Hey, he had it coming. You can all see from my queries here that I don't act like a prick.

So thank you guys for remembering what it was like to have all these fantastic possibilities in front of you, barring only your lack of understanding how to use it. Think of it this way- you're the elders passing on your secrets to a hungry young new generation. You're doing your part to keep these words of wisdom alive, and cultivating further interest in this sweet system, and that can only be good!

Oh and Rambo kicks ass- at least "First Blood" did. But I got your point.

Back