Atari St Emulator On Faulty Liksang's Unit

PiNa1971

Website
Visit site
Hello,

I just read about new LCDs being probably the reason of strange blue bars in some appz on the newest batch of GP32s sent by LikSang and I recalled strange thing I noticed yesterday when testing Castaway emulator on my faulty GP32.

Most of the games I tested, have the first row (1pixes thin) shown as the last row on LCD just bellow the black zone dedicated to virtual keyboard. Unfortunately I dont have my camera here so I cant take a picture but I am sure you will get it. I will do that in the evening.

It's like 1st row is missing and it's shown at 240th position.
I noticed that with my favourite Head Over Heals game. You can grab the game here:

[url removed]

It would be really helpful and interesting if someone with fully working GP32 could test it. I will later also add what version of Castaway I used.

Thanks ...

rom link, quick delete it, unless its not a commercial rom.

pAiN posted on Dec 9 2004 at 02:11 PM said:
rom link, quick delete it, unless its not a commercial rom.

Relax mate, it's not a rom link, it is a publicly available archive of Atari ST disks - Automation Compact Disk Catalog. But if it offends anyone, it can be removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's a link to a site that lists all Automations discs... Automation being one of the famous groups of game crackers on the ST. I strongly doubt that the publishers of all the games Automation cracked have released the copyrights so... link could well be considered as breaking the rules. Sorry.

J(ohn)

Here come promised pictures. I checked 13.x versions of Castaway and all of them with the same result.

gp32_hoh.jpg

there is no need to load any game, just simply launch Castaway and check if there is a red line at the bottom of the screen.

gp32_line.jpg

I think all of us are still gathering intelligence on this .. ie: perhaps a live-patcher in alternate firmwares can fix homebrew without having to recompile them or the like, or who knows what..

I can pretty easily make a new build of CaSTaway/GP that starts rendering one row down from where it thinks it should, so that it looks okay. ie: I could build another binary for it, or perhaps add an option to the runtime menu so you could toggle an offset.

I'm sort of hoping theres a better solution, but this can be done.

Thoughts?

It doesn't sound too annoying though right now, but if GP isn't going to make a fix, then I know I can at least work around it on CaSTaway.

jeff

Not that it'd help me in particular, but I must say, I'd be happy to see fixes start appearing for this piece of what I'd basically call idiocy on Gamepark's part.

Good idea Jeff, and thanks :)

Shouldn't be necessary really, if Gamepark had their heads screwed on in the first place...

Back