Atari Jaguar and Sega Saturn

C

CocoCreekFisherman

Just curious if these emulators will ever be refined?

Seems to be a close but no cigar status at this point yes?  :lol: _,.,. 

Yeah. apparently the saturn has too many chips cobbled together or something.

they changed the saturns architecture in response to the ps1 having full 3d capabilities i believe.

Correct me if im wrong but its something similar for the jaguar I think. Funny chipset or such. Makes it hard to emulate these systems.

Well i know it was not truly 64 bit, it had 2 32 bit processors i think, which is not the same thing i think.

Still with the cd drive add on you also got the dual use of using it as a toilet seat.

Anyone want to mod an atari jaguar with the cd drive add on and convert it to an actual toilet that allows you to play games.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious if these emulators will ever be refined?

Seems to be a close but no cigar status at this point yes?  :lol: _,.,.
As said many times, saturn emulation is difficult. Dont expect anything to move there. For the jaguar whats the point? Tere are only shitty games on that sytem.
I have to disagree. There are some outstanding Jaguar games such as, Alien vs Predator, Tempest 2000 ,Protector SE,Cannon Fodder ,Raiden,Runier Pinball and a fine version of Rayman. I do not consider these to be shitty games and I would love to be able to play them on the Pandora.

Last edited:
None of them are exclusive. Apart from tempest 2000 and i am not even sure about that.

If there is something to gain from emulation the obvious choice should be as follows:

1. Saturn (tons of exclusive games)

2. 3DO (has much more good games than Jaguar and more exclusives too)

3. Jaguar

/>
CocoCreekFisherman, on 16 Jul 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

I have to disagree. There are some outstanding Jaguar games such as, Alien vs Predator, Tempest 2000 ,Protector SE,Cannon Fodder ,Raiden,Runier Pinball and a fine version of Rayman. I do not consider these to be shitty games and I would love to be able to play them on the Pandora.
Many of these games are available on Amiga and are playable at full speed.

/> CocoCreekFisherman, on 16 Jul 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

Many of these games are available on Amiga and are playable at full speed.
What I said. Many are not not exclusive. That's precisely why the Jaguar died so quickly: nobody wanted it. 

Some games may be on other systems or even games with same title but that dosnt mean its the same game, Jaguar could push great graphics in high res, something no other system of the day could match. The Jaguar was also developed for being a 2D game system first and foremost I think, it DID have a 64bit cpu but I wonder if that even matters, the amount of bits only mean scale of numbers you can process wich dosnt matter for most games anyway, its the frequency and other things that matters for a cpus capability, normal PC cpus was 32bits till quite recently, and because of high frequencys they blew away any 64bit console cpu pretty much I think. If you can operate on 2 or 4 instructions simultaneously with 64bit registers then thats ofcourse a bonus.

The Japanese devs were all behind Playstation and some Saturn, and Nintendo behind the N64, I think thats the reason things played out the way it did, that and the lack of a CD based core system for Jaguar. ATARI never had a competitor for SNES and MD so for a long period of time it became a shadowy name of the paste, atleast outside of USA I would think. Wasnt Jaguar even made as a competitor for precisly SNES and MD? I think I heard such a statement sometime, just compare the hardware capabilities then! Full 480 lines res with however many colors it could do, incredible effects capability and lightning fast cpu! :) To bad it didnt come a couple years earlier, but it probably wouldnt have gotten Japanese devs behind it anyway.

To bad it didnt come a couple years earlier, but it probably wouldnt have gotten Japanese devs behind it anyway.
I seriously doubt that. You obviously dont know how the Japanese networks work in the country. They would never support a foreign brand unless they really have to.

And for the record, Matsushita had to buy exclusives from publishers when they launched the 3do in Japan. Even though the 3do was clearly better than everything on the market during that year.

Some games may be on other systems or even games with same title but that dosnt mean its the same game, Jaguar could push great graphics in high res, something no other system of the day could match. The Jaguar was also developed for being a 2D game system first and foremost I think, it DID have a 64bit cpu but I wonder if that even matters, the amount of bits only mean scale of numbers you can process wich dosnt matter for most games anyway, its the frequency and other things that matters for a cpus capability, normal PC cpus was 32bits till quite recently, and because of high frequencys they blew away any 64bit console cpu pretty much I think. If you can operate on 2 or 4 instructions simultaneously with 64bit registers then thats ofcourse a bonus.

The Japanese devs were all behind Playstation and some Saturn, and Nintendo behind the N64, I think thats the reason things played out the way it did, that and the lack of a CD based core system for Jaguar. ATARI never had a competitor for SNES and MD so for a long period of time it became a shadowy name of the paste, atleast outside of USA I would think. Wasnt Jaguar even made as a competitor for precisly SNES and MD? I think I heard such a statement sometime, just compare the hardware capabilities then! Full 480 lines res with however many colors it could do, incredible effects capability and lightning fast cpu! :) To bad it didnt come a couple years earlier, but it probably wouldnt have gotten Japanese devs behind it anyway.
Yes I do agree that 2 games may have the same tittle and they will not play exactly alike.Sometimes there are additions/omissions. Burnout for the Jaguar is an excellent example and one heck of a great racer. One of the best if not the best old school racers ever.

But...with all this said I guess the original answer to this topic I posted is NO. :unsure:

Last edited:
Apart from tempest 2000 and i am not even sure about that.
It does have a port... for Saturn. B)

There's no 64-bit CPU on the Jaguar. It has a 64-bit bus and the graphics chips can utilize it. But the CPUs consist of two 32-bit custom RISCs and a 16/32-bit 68k. Some Jaguar fans will argue night and day that this makes it 64-bit but no one in the computer industry ever used the term this way (and indeed even the original Pentium had a 64-bit data bus to main RAM but no one considers it to be powering 64-bit systems)

But like you say, it doesn't really matter, 64-bit CPU is nearly completely pointless for these systems. N64 would have been just fine with a 32-bit processor instead (except for its marketing campaign), in fact most games spend most of the time only using it like a 32-bit processor.

Personally I think Jaguar had enough real design problems that crippled it and kept it from having any real chance in the market, although it's true that developers were under-utilizing it. What I don't agree with is that Saturn, PS1, and especially N64 kept Jaguar from taking off. It was out nearly two years before PS1 made its American debut and it was bombing pretty hard long before then.

True, especially when late snes games like Starfox or DonkeyKong Country showed that you can have on par graphics on a 16bit system.

Yes, but it looks worse imho ;) .

It is not about raw performance, but what visuals you can achive with this performance.

Yes, but it looks worse imho ;) .

It is not about raw performance, but what visuals you can achive with this performance.
We are saying the same thing. Its art direction. This being said, while starfox is fun to play, i never considered it beautiful. The ship is a fricking triangle!

Umm maybe 3DO could be more achievable in Pandora? at least there is a decent open source emulator for it (4DO)

Back