Atari 800 [v0.8] For Gp2x

mamewarrior

Still Fresh
Found this today... :)

Download: -

http://www.scrameta.net/a800.html

Changes: -

* Merged GP2X and GP32 versions (mostly)
* Added ZIP file support
* GP2X:Added clock speed change (Fast forward uses 250, let me know if it crashes for you)
* GP2X:Fixed crash when displaying onscreen keyboard
* GP2X:config now go in /mnt/sd/roms/a800 (i.e. move it from gpmm/a800 to roms/a800)
* GP2X:Switched to 8-bit mode
* GP2X:Added X and Y buttons
* GP2X:Stereo works (thanks to Rlyeh again)

I've probably forgotten loads of games, but also Ultima 1-4 is available.

Leave a message here anyone if your looking for an atari 800 game. I have means of copying via my old atari to my PC etc.

mamewarrior posted on Dec 25 2005 at 12:15 PM said:
Found this today... :)

Download: -

http://www.scrameta.net/a800.html

Changes: -

* Merged GP2X and GP32 versions (mostly)
* Added ZIP file support
* GP2X:Added clock speed change (Fast forward uses 250, let me know if it crashes for you)
* GP2X:Fixed crash when displaying onscreen keyboard
* GP2X:config now go in /mnt/sd/roms/a800 (i.e. move it from gpmm/a800 to roms/a800)
* GP2X:Switched to 8-bit mode
* GP2X:Added X and Y buttons
* GP2X:Stereo works (thanks to Rlyeh again)

Awesome! Got my gp2x this morning under the tree and can't wait to get this on there. Star Raiders and MULE here I come!

~telengard

Last edited by a moderator:
I keep trying to get this one to work, but the readmes are not formatted in a very friendly way. where are you guys putting the executables and directory tree? One file will not read from the directory tree. it's a 0byte file called 'roms' directly under the 'atari800' directory next to 'gpmm'

I have a feeling it's my directory placement as the emu runs okay, it just hangs on the menu screen

rescue on fractalus and the pinball construction set await. now I need an adapter for my koalapad

Great! ZIP support is essential for my 128MB SMC. Great and smooth enough emulator btw, I use to watch demos with it, don't know which Atari800 games should I try, but I've seen some really impressive demos on this 8bit machine :)

Optimus posted on Dec 25 2005 at 09:44 PM said:
Great! ZIP support is essential for my 128MB SMC. Great and smooth enough emulator btw, I use to watch demos with it, don't know which Atari800 games should I try, but I've seen some really impressive demos on this 8bit machine :)
128mb SMC? This is a GP2x version no?

PSyMastR posted on Dec 25 2005 at 10:24 PM said:
Optimus posted on Dec 25 2005 at 09:44 PM said:
128mb SMC? This is a GP2x version no?
read the top post. theyre basically the same thing ;)

Wow, someone noticed. This has been out for weeks:) Anyway happy Christmas everyone.

Anyway here are the directory details you need.

The GP2X dirs are hardcoded to (GP32 are under gpmm/a800 etc):
/mnt/sd/roms/a800/state
/mnt/sd/roms/a800/menu
/mnt/sd/roms/a800/disk
/mnt/sd/roms/a800/rom
/mnt/sd/roms/a800/exe

As a minimum the menu dir must have the ui.men and default.men files. Also you really needs the os roms in the rom dir. There are available on my site in the atari800_parts.tar.bz2 on my site. I will upload a stripped one at some point with just the bare minimum.

Basically the ui.men is needed for the menu controls. Without it there is no control definition and you can't do anything! This is the "freezing" at the menu issue...

Several people have had trouble setting this up. I will probably put defaults in the next version. Or at least display a big fat error message telling them what to do.

Good luck,

Mark

-----------------
Something else important...
WARNING
*** Be careful with the gp2x version***
The atari800 gp2x version writes temporary ATR files to /tmp when using ZIP, ATZ or DCM files. This should be fine since Gamepark Holdings wouldn't have been stupid enough to put /tmp on a soldered in limited write device such as Nand right? WRONG!

I am going to move my temporary files from /tmp in a later version when I get home.

Some suggestions for people who mostly know what they're doing with Linux:
I recommend you remount / with ro,noatime options. This can be done at the start of profile and prevents apps accidentally writing to the nand (including patches, so you have to change it for that...). Also it is worth changing it to mount the sd card with noatime. Without noatime it writes to the NAND or SD on every file read. This obviously wears them out quickly.

I should also add that I did this version with an early version of the clock speed changer. It will probably mess up LCD syncs etc if you change clock speed (or on exit!).

I'm going to do an update tomorrow probably.

Mark

I have been using this version since you released it. When this "news" was posted I thought it was a new version until I realized it was "old" after downloading ;)

I would advise not writing to any of the flash devices automatically. Even the SD card has limited writes so it will wear that out. While replaceable I don't want to have to replace an expensive SD either.

I think maybe 5200 analog emulation could be looked at too. You could fix the speed and make the speed user configurable plus use all 16 directions for analog games (like missile command, centipede).

For other games maybe you could make the bias user selectable too (see chart in my sig). For normal games a case 2 (orthagonal bias) could be selected but many might benefit from 4-way (Pacman) or diagonal only (Q*bert) etc.

Otherwise it is a great emu to have. Thanks for all of the great work

DaveC posted on Dec 26 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
I would advise not writing to any of the flash devices automatically. Even the SD card has limited writes so it will wear that out. While replaceable I don't want to have to replace an expensive SD either.

Yep, writing to SD or NAND unnecessarily is nasty. Have you remounted with noatime at least?

Version 0.8 was done before I realised /tmp writes to the NAND. I don't know why GPH aren't patching the atime/tmp and rw issues. It would be dead easy for them to mount NAND read only and enable /tmp on a ramdisk... For me to fix is more of a pain. On GP32 it was easy since I just patched newlib to support memory files. On GP2X I would have to patch glibc, which looks more complex. Or re-write all the disk file routines, also not appealing. I'll try to think of something sensible tomorrow!

I think maybe 5200 analog emulation could be looked at too. You could fix the speed and make the speed user configurable plus use all 16 directions for analog games (like missile command, centipede).

For other games maybe you could make the bias user selectable too (see chart in my sig). For normal games a case 2 (orthagonal bias) could be selected but many might benefit from 4-way (Pacman) or diagonal only (Q*bert) etc.

I agree. Perhaps in the next one I'll get around to this. Depends how the /tmp and clockspeed stuff goes.

Mark

this emulator is absolutely beautiful now that I have my directories in the right place. These games are all comming back to me now. Zipfiles aren't my friends with this yet, but this is most certainly a 'killer app' for the system. You've just decreased my overall productivity in life by at least 50%.

I must have wasted a good hour playing Getaway. I'm afraid of what bluemax will do to me. Must find the analog magazine disks now... away to search.

foft posted on Dec 26 2005 at 10:23 PM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 26 2005 at 07:02 PM said:
I would advise not writing to any of the flash devices automatically.  Even the SD card has limited writes so it  will wear that out.  While replaceable I don't want to have to replace an expensive SD either.

Yep, writing to SD or NAND unnecessarily is nasty. Have you remounted with noatime at least?

It only writes to flash if you use zip files right? I just won't use zip. The games are so small anyway that I doubt zipping a 64K file will do much.

Remounted with noatime? I don't even know what that is or how to do it so I guess the answer there is no. I just copied the files to my SD card with a reader and set up directories.

Back