ASDA selling Pandora accessories! (warning, 650kb of photos)

MattF

Still Fresh
A couple of things I picked up from my local Asda recently are great Pandora accessories. (Said local Asda is fairly large and is an open-24h one. I have no idea if either of these products are big-branch-only.)

First up, a very suitable USB hub. (Yes, tested - definitely makes a wireless-mouse receiver work properly when usually it fails due to being the wrong flavour of USB). I think it cost around £7, was blister-packed and somewhere on a shelf-end in the computer/audio-video area - near the digital cameras and inkjet ink cartridges and suchlike.

b1rwI.jpg

XD8jx.jpg

The other thing I picked up was a case. Also inexpensive, somewhere around £7 I believe.

Xrvyv.jpg

You may be thinking to yourself, "but Buxton, all the DS cases around now are sized for the DS Lite / DSi, which means they're too small for a Pandora."

Y4or1.jpg

And you'd be right.

But, this one is only unsuitable due to the size of that inner super-padded pocket. Easily fixed with a sturdy pair of scissors! (Cut down the side-edges of the pouch.)

9jv1M.jpg

It fits!

ctgsb.jpg

You won't be able to close the velcro on that inner pouch any more, but it reaches round well enough to offer pretty good protection apart from leaving the corners a little exposed.

IlM5X.jpg

The outer zip still closes pretty easily, and the outer shell is padded too so I'm happy with the amount of protection this would offer - certainly good enough for "keep it safe within a backpack" sort of good.

While I'm dumping tons of photos, here's the tags off the case so you can figure out if it's the same one I bought:

yYwFX.jpg

(post edited: realised I should use an image-host that I know will allow hotlinks, rehosted the images.)

Last edited by a moderator:
On the subject of cases, the case that came with the GP2X value pack fits the Pandora perfectly.

It's not a hard case, just a drawstring bag type thing, but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the GP2X value pack also came with earphones and a lanyard which you could also use with a Pandora.

Nice finds and I love the bag mod. Your not wrong about ASDA though as I took a chance months ago on a hub for a couple of £ and it works fine.

1000684o.jpg

1000685pz.jpg

I think the logitech mouse was also from there but sadly needs the hub. Has anyone found any nano usb mice that work direct, or is BT the way to go?

On the subject of cases, the case that came with the GP2X value pack fits the Pandora perfectly.

It's not a hard case, just a drawstring bag type thing, but it's better than nothing.

Edit: Forgot to mention, the GP2X value pack also came with earphones and a lanyard which you could also use with a Pandora.
I'm going to use a sock.

I think the logitech mouse was also from there but sadly needs the hub. Has anyone found any nano usb mice that work direct, or is BT the way to go?

I think you're always going to need a hub with a USB mouse, or an adaptor to use the smaller "OTG" port, because I can't imagine any USB mouse implementing USB2.0 Hi-Speed when they don't have any use for it. Bluetooth would probably be the way to go - and then as a bonus you don't have any plug-in stuff to deal with at all.

On the subject of plugging things in and being pleasantly surprised when they work, I present "Pandora as a DVD player":

uKuNQ.jpg

(that's a Samsung external usb2.0 DVDRW drive at the bottom)

I encountered the following issues:

1. The drive couldn't actually spin the disc up enough to read it when only plugged in to the Pandora - the screen backlight would dim and the drive motor would lose speed. So, I used the other plug on the drive's USB cable to hook up that USB power-pack, which sorted it
  2. Couldn't even remotely deal with CSS-"protected" content - I tried a normal commercial DVD movie and both VLC and Gnome MPlayer couldn't read the files. Got it working with a more "indie" type DVD (this one), which I know does not use CSS encryption
  3. Even then, it briefly stalled occasionally as it read from the disc - did not have any obvious problems with the CPU effort of decoding and displaying the video, though

I didn't buy that external dvdrw drive for Pandora usage though - I already had it in my Netbook bag, it works nicely with my Samsung NC10.

I'm going to use a sock.
It seems like every time there's a thread about cases someone posts this :lol: Is it just you trying to promote how universally great socks are, or am I missing a running joke?

Back