Arora Rift

Blackcurtain

Website
www.blackcurtainstudio.com
This is my first game developed for the Caanoo which I released commercially in January this year. It's been around on the BennuGD forums for some time already, and now I think it's time it got some attention over here as well. I will most likely release a Pandora version soon.

You can read a review of the game by the BennuGD administrator josebita, here.
You can also find me and my game studio on

AroraRift_PresentationTable2.jpg

Additional sreenshots:

screen_5.png
screen_0.png

screen_6.png
screen_8.png

Gameplay trailer:

Buy full game here using PayPal.
The price is USD 4.00.
If you are having errors with the PayPal payment, just transfer USD 4.00 to the email blackcurtainstudio@gmail.com. Make sure to provide your registered email.

A small Caanoo demo is now available here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,38,690

Download a small PC demo here
NOTE that the demo is just a very small portion of the full game and is missing gameplay features and elements.

Controls:
---
Move                                    : W,A,S,D or Arrow-keys
Shoot                                   : Ctrl or Space
Shoot secondary (energy shot) : ALT
Quit                        : ESC
---

Why didn't you post this earlier?!

Bought!

(At $4.00 it was worth an impulse buy)

And I like the fact you haven't used the godaweful FunGP store either, (which is not only barebones for use non-koreans, but its also stupidly hard to get any credit for it either...).

RetroVortex said:

Bought!

And I like the fact you haven't used the godaweful FunGP store either, (which is not only barebones for use non-koreans, but its also stupidly hard to get any credit for it either...).
Well I've been busy and haven't been very active on these forums :)
I hope you like the game. All purchases are being reviewed manually by me so be patient until I've activated the game for your account. I'll send confirmation mails once finished.

Last edited by a moderator:
BlackCurtain said:
RetroVortex said:

Bought!

Well I've been busy and haven't been very active on these forums :)
I hope you like the game. All purchases are being reviewed manually by me so be patient until I've activated the game for your account. I'll send confirmation mails once finished.

Already got, downloaded and installed.

Very fast service. Lets hope the game is good too eh? ;)

(I wish more devs would directly sell their stuff. Might encourage GamePark to step up their game a bit, (especially considering they haven't done anything in aaaaaaggeeeesss!!))

You are welcome to give feedback and critique, so that my next game can be better.
I decided to give this game commercial quality because I think the Caanoo deserves some more attention and a wider library of quality games. It's a good console.

Its not a bad game, but it is a bit quirky.
Its kind of hard to make out what I'm shooting at, and I think the collision detection is a bit off as well, (on the second boss I was well past his projectile, but yet I still took damage...).
sometimes the game seems to suddenly change as well which seems a bit off putting.
Also apart from the space level it felt a little bit on the slow side.
If you have ever played After Burner Climax or Star Fox 64 then you know what I mean.

I think the music is pretty good though.

I'd say its about a decent mobile phone game quality title that I might play a few more times, but I wouldn't say its a necessary must get app though.
(It may be due to BennuGD's limitations...)

RetroVortex said:
Its not a bad game, but it is a bit quirky.
Its kind of hard to make out what I'm shooting at, and I think the collision detection is a bit off as well, (on the second boss I was well past his projectile, but yet I still took damage...).
sometimes the game seems to suddenly change as well which seems a bit off putting.
Also apart from the space level it felt a little bit on the slow side.
If you have ever played After Burner Climax or Star Fox 64 then you know what I mean.

I think the music is pretty good though.

I'd say its about a decent mobile phone game quality title that I might play a few more times, but I wouldn't say its a necessary must get app though.
(It may be due to BennuGD's limitations...)
Thanks for the feedback. Collisions are pretty hard to get accurate and right when using this type of view, I've noticed. I've tried my best getting them as good as I can. I might try to improve them further when I get the time and release a small patch.

BlackCurtain said:
Thanks for the feedback. Collisions are pretty hard to get accurate and right when using this type of view, I've noticed. I've tried my best getting them as good as I can. I might try to improve them further when I get the time and release a small patch.

No problem, in fact its very good that you actually tried something different.

I mean it would be very tempting to make a top down or side scrolling shmup which are pretty easy to make in comparison to a Space Harrier type game.
(I'd argue that they have become a little too popular with indies these days)

Though if it was me, (though i will be honest and say that I can't code for toffee and I haven't actually finished making any game), 3D models would have been better than scaled sprites for this type of game, because its sharper and easier to make out as sprites tend to blur into the background.

When you look at Space Harrier the game compensated for this, by making the background and stage as simple as possible and ensuring the enemies have a strong contrast to their surroundings.

RetroVortex said:
Though if it was me, (though i will be honest and say that I can't code for toffee and I haven't actually finished making any game), 3D models would have been better than scaled sprites for this type of game, because its sharper and easier to make out as sprites tend to blur into the background.

When you look at Space Harrier the game compensated for this, by making the background and stage as simple as possible and ensuring the enemies have a strong contrast to their surroundings.
Maybe if I do a sequel it will be in 3d. The DGE by GPH is too limited and lacks too many features to be called a game engine, so I decided not to use that and go with BennuGD. Unfortunately, Bennu doesn't support 3d on the Caanoo yet.

beautiful! caanoo need a similar commercial games! :D thanks you boy!

Tried purchasing it but I keep getting an error from Paypal. It just won't let me finish this transaction for some reason. Is there any other way I can buy it? Maybe send the money to your E-mail address?

Orion4874 said:
Tried purchasing it but I keep getting an error from Paypal. It just won't let me finish this transaction for some reason. Is there any other way I can buy it? Maybe send the money to your E-mail address?
An error? I don't know anything about that, sorry. I don't control their system so I can't help you. I simply chose to use Paypal because it's easier and secure to do transactions.
If you can do the transfer in some other way, that's fine, just as long as I know which email the purchase belongs to.

BAFelton said:
Same problem here, couldn't buy it :(
What's the error?

EDIT: IF you are having errors with the PayPal payment, just transfer USD 4.00 to the email blackcurtainstudio@gmail.com. Make sure to provide your registered email.
I will investigate what's causing the error.

Very strange, it won't even let me transfer money. I'm thinking it may be because my Paypal account is unverified. I started the process of verifying it but it takes a couple days. Did you by any chance choose some kind of option only accepting payments from verified accounts? I sometimes see that on Ebay and other sites when I use Paypal.

Orion4874 said:
Very strange, it won't even let me transfer money. I'm thinking it may be because my Paypal account is unverified. I started the process of verifying it but it takes a couple days. Did you by any chance choose some kind of option only accepting payments from verified accounts? I sometimes see that on Ebay and other sites when I use Paypal.
I don't see such an option in any of the settings, so I think not. Fro what I understand you should be able to transfer money from an unverified account.

how can I buy your game?only via paypal?
you could make a little demo for caanoo?

kayuz said:
how can I buy your game?only via paypal?
you could make a little demo for caanoo?
Yes, you can buy it with PayPal. It's easier and safer for both me and you.
There's a small PC demo in the first post which you can try out, but it's limited and doesn't contain all game features.

Back