Are we at the GP32's end ?

Betty 2001

I'm just posting this topic to see if any fellow members think (like me) that the GP32 is coming to it's end ?

It seems to me that things have been slowing down on the GP32 scene for quite a while now. PLEASE don't get me wrong, this is not a criticism. It's just that I feel we have reached the end of what the machine is capable of (thanks to many talented programmers).

Are there any more suprises in store ? Apart from just tweaking the current emulaters ? (PLEEEEEASE for God's sake someone put save states on the Frodo Emulater !!! ...erm sorry I lost control there for a second ! :p ).

And promises of future games that are never finished or never turn up don't count !

Is anyone out there now looking towards the Zodiac ? Palm PC's ? PSP ? to continue the excitement that the GP32 created in the early days ?

I say again, this is not me moaning about the current scene or me being fed up with my GP32 (I still continue to use it with great pleasure) but is anyone else now looking at new machines and developments wanting something new ?

Cheers.

Even if the scene does slow down (I don't think it is... Look @ OSnes9xGP) everything for it will be fun enough for a long while...

I ll never look for something else than GP32....I think its the best handheld ever made... :)
maybe in times this one will disapear but its not for today
snes emulation is on the way to become fully playable
The divx player can improve again to allow divx 5.0, more fps, better quality...
the GBA dream might become true....with talented devrs of course
PCengine is near perfection but still need the save state
and there a lot of games that should come in a near future : gianas return, wanna be wizard (even in korean), maybe ASR in english
remember that gamepark bought some times ago the license for breath of fire...

So this is not I think (in fact I hope) the end of the marvellous GP32

see you ;)

At the end? Not quite - I think she's got some kick left in her.

Opensnes will keep getting better, and we've got fgen to look forward to.

Given the price of the Zodiac for example (not to mention is hardware faults), I think the GP32 has got a long life ahead of it. While the PSP will be nice (and expensive ;) ), it will be sometime before an emu scene develops - if it all, assuming the hardware is cracked.

Once we've got opensnes and fgen, I think the last great GP32 emu would be an Amiga 500 emu, which would take a hell of a lot of work from someone to come to fruition. I can only dream :)

And who knows - if an official euro launch gets off the ground, we might see a few more decent commercial games too.

Sup? Seriously are you fuckin retarded? Look @ all the new stuff that has been coming out (not all good, but most are). What do you that someone will create a whole rpg, seriously a dev is usually only one person. God people are dumb....

-Matt (go eat paste)

do you think there ever going 2 do somthing w/ the breath of fire licence?
I hope 'coz its one of my fav RPG :D

Sup? Seriously are you fuckin retarded? Look @ all the new stuff that has been coming out (not all good, but most are). What do you that someone will create a whole rpg, seriously a dev is usually only one person.

I dont see the point insulting poeple....but that not the worst...
what did you mean with this message? :unsure:
God people are dumb
You're one too.. :p .

see you ;)

To me at the moment the gp32 scene certainly seems far more active than the GBA and Zodiac scene.

I won't be getting a zodiac until I see something better than the GP32 emulators on it, which you don't have to pay for (the nes and sms emu cost money).

I think the GP32's natural end would be near perfect SNES and megadrive, then because of those the gp32 will be bought by people for years to come.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I agree, the GP32 still has potential. AND it is that Potential that people will try to harness as long as there is interest still in the old lil Korean system.

True, there may be slow times. Some very lagging, but trust me when I say GOOD things are coming to this system. As long as a few key events occur along the way, The rollercoast ride of the GP32 will still go on.

No way! Even most systems that make the mainstream never reach the limit of their capabillitys and thats with huge developement teams and oodles of cash thrown in.Most video game systems are simply superceded by something that shifts the expectations of game fans.

I think that the gp32 can improve a while yet as coders get more familliar with it and optimise their code.

Psp will be good,but at a price, and being sony I don't think an emu/homebrew scene is likely to happen.Sony will do all it can to make this difficult.

Zodiac seems too buggy yet from what I've heard. As a game machine it's expensive compared to gp32 and will be underpowered compared to the psp.

I will probably buy a psp eventually when used games start coming down in price and a platinum range arrives but my gamepark will always have it's place especially if genesis emu is perfected.And if a good amiga emu ever arrived to hell with the psp!

Don't forget the rumours of a European launch. It may still happen. The GP32 is still very viable in the market, and thus won't die for some time yet... it's been running for three years and believe me the scene has been a lot deader before now.

a GP32 is basically a grand handheld system, most programs for it are free, and open source, like many linux programs. With being open source, many people will come to it in the future also, due to it's immense capability, however limited compaired to other things it may be.

While most the things for PSP will probably be mainstream media, and the Zodaic runnnign Palm, in which RARELY is there a good free program, the GP32 will still bring in others. Although the GP32 hasn't came out with much*well, really good things* except GPDoom, in which people can make FPS game remakes *IE: Goldeneye* or own FPS storys;System Emulation, in which brings many people, making it have the capability of many systems, the GameBoy, well liked portable, has many games with a thoouch of a button you can acess *although most likly illegally*;Music Playing, although the small capabilty of holding alot of MP3s, you can squeeze in mroe songs with OGG, in which most MP3 players cannot play *Even though MP3 players do not ahve fancy options, playback is still great*

If we can actually get some great companies to make commercial games *if Euro launch goes through, more chance* we can have higher quality games, for most dev's are people either dovoted to the GP32 to make a great game, or in their spare time making the release a long long wait.

The GP32 will be on the market for a long time, and most likely a upgrade to it will appear, among other homebrew hardware devices

hell, if this coming year is even half (or evena third) as productive as last year, it will still be a helluva year.

don't forget about fMame, eveyrbody.. I'm sure it's still kickin'. maybe some months yet, but that's fine..

The real reason we see less emulator releases now is because there are less systems to emulate. This is a good thing, not a bad one. It means we can play all those systems. Right now people are working on the tougher systems, such as the genesis and super famicom, naturally, they take longer to finish.

Buying a Zodiac is pointless if you have a gp32, at best you can ever get snes emulation, if someone makes an emulator that is (which you can get on the gp32 as well). It is not powerful enough to emulate a system which the gp32 cannot, and mind you, the gp32 emulates 20 times the amount of system the zodiac does (and for free too).

If I ever buy a new handheld, it would have to be open dev kits similar to the gp32 and have a 400-500Mhz processor or equivalent so it is powerful enough to emulate the GBA and the amiga.

If you want to buy a handheld console today to play emulated games and systems, the gp32 is without competition, that includes all price ranges.

As a hand-held games console, it's still one hell of a portable gaming machine, and there's plenty of games that can still be written for it.

To be honest though, I didn't really buy a GP32 for the games or the emulators, but for the reason that it seemed to be the cheapest way of getting some kind of ARM development kit at home :) With the USART, USB, I2C & JTAG, it makes one excellent development kit! Proper development kits cost far more, don't contain as many features (never seen one yet with a TFT screen), and about the only advantage is hardware debugging (as processor pins are normally moved out to IDC headers, etc).

Although it falling behind now as a viable MP3 player (too little storage), it's still quite capable to watch films on, thanks to GpCinema.

Sup? Seriously are you fuckin retarded? Look @ all the new stuff that has been coming out (not all good, but most are). What do you that someone will create a whole rpg, seriously a dev is usually only one person. God people are dumb....

-Matt (go eat paste)
Just to clarify what this asshole was talking about, at least I think,

Hey ass, he wasn't talking about remaking Breath of Fire from scratch, if you did a little research before you posted, Gamepark did have some licenses from Capcom to do some games. Even if nothing was ever done, it still could be. Especially if there is a Euro release and the GP really catches on, i'd like to see these games that are on Gp32emu.com that are works in progress actually get released.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not dead, it's just resting... :lol:

I think we're just experiencing a bit of a dip in new releases, because people are taking a break. It's winter, people aren't on holiday (Does anyone here code GP32 stuff for a living? Nope, thought not) and a lot of what needed to be done has already been done to near-perfection (GBC, ST, SMS, Doom, C64...).

SNES just needs one final "push" of coding and it will be there; MegaDrive too (sound in both cases.)

I think the amount of releases will increase sharply towards the summer, especially if there's another 15 days competition during the holiday period.

Back