Is the GP32 any good ?

Betty 2001

I recently read the GP32 review at CDworld.com and I am seriously thinking of getting one from there.

I have looked around at various GP32 web sites but seem to find that most emulaters are incomplete. If I was to buy one what games could I enjoy playing fully and straight away ?.

The PC engine emulater looks good and playable but what about the others ? (NES, Snes, Spectrum etc).

Also can the GP32 show .bmp or .jpeg files.

Thanks very much.

NES: Needs work. Average compatibility, framerate is a bit too low and the sound is horrible.
SNES: Very early stage of development...SNES9XGP is a direct port and is slow as...well, a snail or something...SNESemu is better but has no sound or save support, and runs 12-25fps on average (games like Megaman X run best). Don't buy it for this alone!
Spectrum: 48k compatibility is very high, 128k support not available yet. Files HAVE to be .SNA, which can be a problem cos' SNA and Z80 files are uncommon these days, replaced with .TZX's mostly. I prefer the .SNA/.Z80 format, myself. Also the sound is a bit iffy.
SMS: 90% accurate. In SMS32, PCM sound channel missing but that's all, very high compatibility (the only game I know of that doesn't work is Golden Axe) and special controllers (light guns, etc) probably aren't supported.
C16/Plus4: 90% accurate again. PlusIVe is about as good as any PC based emulator for the system.
C64: The beta of the Frodo port was released on Friday, and has been updated once already. It looks very promising and runs quite a lot of games decently already.

Overall you'll probably find yourself playing the most complete systems the most, at least I do...there's plenty to keep you satisfied in the meantime while new emulators get made!

The GP32 is a great piece of hardware especially if you are interested in emulation, the community is rapidly growing and there are some amazing things being written for it.

Getting stronger and stronger

Thanks for the replys guys !

I'm going to go for it !

P.S Ralp99, great speech over at GBA emuboards I was seriously going to say something along those lines myself but you did it far better than I could have done !

Cheers guys :)

ha ha thx betty

(man this scene is tiny eh!)

yeah it's a shame things are as quiet as they are, no wonder I've 'jumped ship' huh..

I expect things to pick up soon...things picked up recently cos' craigix's review got major coverage on mainstream emulation sites. But that's not really the same as knowing someone who has one. I also expect that since Yak's little blog spiel about the GP32 will reach a wide audience also, all of whom respect him greatly, then well...that should have a significant influence in time, too :)

Back