Are People Interested In Gp2X Modding Still?

So, what are you using to provide the charging circuit for the li-ion battery? I just got a small PCB from Sparkfun that automatically handles charging from a 5V DC jack or a built-in mini USB jack. Someday I will also do this mod for my F200 since it doesn't work off batteries anymore.

I have two PSP 3.6 amp 3.6v Li-ions, which I will put together to make 7.2 amps. Both cells will recharge at the same time via the same jack (like I do on my portables) - I have a PSP battery recharge small box that runs off the PSP recharge cable (ie its only 5v output, nothing special); that will recharge the cells safely as it contains the circuit needed to do so.

Not sure if this is within your skill level (or anyone's for that matter) but how about you hack in some kind of snes controller port?
I remember f00f00 did one for the gp32, and it was awesome.
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MHuDGbr3rrs

Really unique and special :) . Clean looking as well.

Edit: Not sure if he documented it... I'd look on acidmods, but that place gives me the creeps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember this one: Project Hack2X

Of course without so many stuff, like that wedge of light, and not even the built-in cradle, but better d-pad would be awesome. My F-100 lost it's joystick cap and I had to "remake" one but it's hardly a smooth experience. (as if it was ever really smooth...) And more power juice to draw from is really all I could really ask for seeing.

So, yes, you can mark me as interested.
Interested in following this project. Will you consider making the mod for interested people? Or you want to have it as a special unique mod? Just curious...

Edit: Actually, if it's really well documented I could try modding it myself... but it's just that I love my GP2X so much as to kill it myself! Let someone else do the killing is the idea. ;)

As you may have noticed on my Wordpress site, I like to document everything and give my guides, tips and technques to everyone for free; taking the "black art" out of console modding.

I will document every step of the modding process here on this forum with lots of pics for people to follow, so anyone who wants to can do the mods themselves, however, if someone prefers to commission me to do it for them, that is fine and up to them.

I much prefer however to engage others into modding as a hobby themselves; i'm in this hobby as a hobby not a money machine; so for me, getting the masses to start modding as a hobby is far more valued than making a few bucks! ;) My aim is to make my Wordpress site (see sig) ultimately a definitive console modding resource on the net, will probably take 2-3 years more to get to that stage I guess.

gp2.eXe said:
Of course without so many stuff, like that wedge of light, and not even the built-in cradle, but better d-pad would be awesome. My F-100 lost it's joystick cap and I had to "remake" one but it's hardly a smooth experience. (as if it was ever really smooth...)

This won't be the first documented gp2x d-pad mod y'know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that, D-pad mods for the GP2x have been documented before, however they use a cut up controller pad; i'm going to use a different method that should be easy to follow, using rubber topped tact switches which have a mushy feel. Has that method been done here before specifically for a D-pad mod for the GP2x? (I'm asking because I don't know).

Is there a big difference in the reliability between mushy and clicky tact switches ?.

I`m really only asking because, As far as i know, The GP32 used clicky tact switches
for it`s joystick, And both of my GP32 console joysticks are still working great
after around 5 ish years of reasonably moderate use. The buttons are still working
great too, And i believe that are the mushy type.

Just curious.

Trooper

My understanding is that the rubber topped tact switches don't last as long as regular tactile switches; however are still rated at considerable use (tens of thousands of presses), even as a fraction of the life of clicky tact switches. Also, when doing a mod, you don't want things to be "permanent" so you can't repair a few bits and bobs if they ever need it.

Hi all!
This thread was the occasion for me to start a battery mod for my gp2x. I decided to go with the folowing Polymer Lithium Ion Batteries :
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8484

My gp2x first edition never had a good battery life, even with good cell, I only got 2hours max

I just made a "quick" test last night, with battery-test, it last nearly 8h30! and that was overclocked @245Mhz O_O

I'm really satisfied, now I have to mod the back of my gp2x to put the batteries (size is approximatively 5x6x1.5cm) and find a good way to recharge it. For this purpose, I got this charger http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8293

Those batteries are not cheap, but really efficient.

@Bacteria: I'm realy interrested to see how your mod will be :)

Those cells are very expensive indeed. The PSP ones I am using are Chinese rip-off cells, cost about £3 each, plus charger; so about £11 all in. Yes, I will be interested to see how long a pair of these cells last, if they are what they are rated at, based on your findings, should be about 10 hours between charges.

You also need a battery protection circuit for yours, unless you want an explosion - just thought I would mention that factor...

Thought it a good idea to provide an update, as it has been a month before last post here; didn't want people to think "I did a runner" with the GP2x F200 I was sent by Dave18 ! (i'm not like that!).

Finishing off my N64 portable over next few days (assuming no further problems) and after tweaking my site more and also finishing the videos for the project, etc; will then start threads here - two GP2x projects as mentioned before; one to use existing GP2x F100 and keep same case but mod the case backing, add d-pad, Li-ion cells and respray the case; this item will be offered to sale at the end of the project, to highest bidder (assuming of course bids are at least "reasonable"!) although Dave18 very generously gave me his battered F200 for free, I will be giving him a nice percentage of the profit on the sale as "thank you" anyway (by "profit" I mean the cost of listing/sale fees, postage, the Li-ions, paint, etc; not the console as I will take that as "free" for this project): the second project will be with the GP2x F200 which i'll be keeping, and modding into a new case, otherwise will have similar specs.

Just thought it courtesy to provide an update post.

Sounds exciting... will any lunchboxes be harmed in the making of said mods?

Back