Are People Interested In Gp2X Modding Still?

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
After my N64 portable handheld project, and before doing more on my next and proper Multi integrated console system, I thought I would mod my GP2x, to paint job the case, add a d-pad, and Li-ion cells for powering the system. May keep the current casing, or may make one, not sure yet.

Question - I know the GP2x forum is not as busy as it once was and the GP2x is not "current" anymore, so was wondering who here is still interested in:

-1- reading it (the project will be fully documented so you guys can replicate the work if you like)
-2- doing a similar mod
-3- bothered if the original case is used or a new one is made?

If there isn't much interest, there isn't much point in documenting it here; so just thought I would pose the question...

-1- reading it --> Me, my Pandora still hasn't arrived obviously and I never upgraded from my F100
-2- doing a similar mod --> If the d-pad mod was simple (for me), I might be brave enough to do it
-3- bothered if the original case is used or a new one is made?
--> Hoping this will make the d-pad mod easier: please use the original case
--> Hoping everyone gets more fun: same case? That is not fun :p

Baceria, I say you document it both here and on benheck's board, they too deserve to have some fun same as us, but it is your call :)

Keep up the great work!

I always read things, just usually don't post :)

I am more interested in mods that don't use the GP2X TV out to power an LCD.. I consider those impractical.

Yes, i would love to see what you do. I would prefer if you used the original case, but thats up to you. I have a spare MK2 that just doesnt run right with the thumbpad( trouble getting diagonals or trouble with a single direction, cant remember which) :blink:

I was considering trying to do a dpad mod for it since nobody is offering a service anymore. I'd love to see your progress, maybe it would spur me to do some modding myself. :)

Even though I'm waiting for the first batch on the Pandora, I have no plans to sell by beloved GP2X, theres just too much mature software for it! B)

Great feedback guys, thanks.

sehs33 - No, will document it here, on Assember Forum and also RacketBOY forum; obviously on my own Wordpress site too (which takes preference).

Senor Quack - My mod will use the GP2x screen. TV out is bad on the GP2x after all.

Morpheus384 - I will aim to use the original GP2x case and provide a step-by-step guide to installing a proper d-pad mod. I will try to make it easy enough for anyone with a bit of confidence to do. The backing of the case will be modded though to take the Li-ion cells.

With any luck, I should be able to start this project in around a month or so.

Tell you what guys - as there is good interest here, and I know my project will get plenty of reads due to this, and "for old times sake"; i'll give the exclusivity of the project to this site! :)

I'll upload full work logs as the project progresses here, just use the odd pic here and there from it on my site; although when I make a PDF file to document the project in its final format, i'll have that on my site, other forums and also here too.

Can't say fairer than that - a mod exclusive for this forum! ;)

Thank you for the interest!

As mentioned, I will do this mod after finishing my N64 step-by-step video WIP log guide - anyone who is interested, a direct link on my site is:http://moddedbybacteria.wordpress.c...-modding-guides/nintendo-n64-video-guide-log/

Yay! I love reading logs, one exclusive to the boards sounds like a nice idea.
:). Good luck.

quote said:
Yay! I love reading logs, one exclusive to the boards sounds like a nice idea.
:) . Good luck.
Thanks.

I think this forum was the first one I ever joined if I remember correctly, and certainly where I first took tentitive baby steps on modding - I couldn't even solder at the time and what I did, although it did work, was really bad. My modding has "grown up" now so I thought it would be fitting to make the GP2x project on here fairly exclusive as a way of "thanks". I barely use my GP2x these days, so not sure if I will keep it afterwards or sell it, i'll see how I feel after finishing the project.

Last edited by a moderator:
well done bacteria man! hopefully your d-pad mod will be straightforward for any chump to do! :)

God how I would pay you to mod my GP2X into something playable! :)

I've spent hours filing, taping and glueing my GP32 joystick so that it works nicely. My Wiz is damn good without any modding. Thing is I bought my GP2X F200 secondhand complete with (and I may be blaming the wrong person here - Gruso mod :p ) and the 'dpad' was so unresponsive that I have pretty much destroyed it in trying to get it to work.

I thought about restoring the original controls but as the mod cut the cross out of the top case this would require a new membrane, new buttons and a new top case (which my cheeky request on this forum failed to provide ;) )

So, I have all the components of a GP2X but no controls and an abused case. If you would like to make something cool I would be willing to contribute, but with the joy I'm getting of the Wiz and potentially from the (reverse jinx never to be Pandora) I doubt I would use my GP2X for much and therefore I would also be happy to donate all my GP2X parts to a modding project for free.

Let me know.

Dave

Dave18 has very generously donated his GP2x.

I will therefore make two GP2x mods - both will have Li-ion cells and charger jack, D-pad, paintjob:

First: will be using the original GP2x. I will then offer that unit for sale on this board and offer Dave18 a percentage of the profit gained thereof. (assuming of course his donated unit works ok).

Second: (assuming his GP2x works ok, screen is ok, etc), i'll make for myself, rebox the GP2x in a slightly larger case (I make one) and use better buttons, etc.

For both projects, i'll document the work step-by-step on this forum as an exclusive.

Back