[Application] RISC OS on the Pandora

I have another question. Does RISC OS offer the ability to enable a "mass storage mode" for the SD card(s) that are inserted?

But our USB Host can also USB1.1 Devices ;-)
Did you test this on the Pandora or only on the beagleboard - I always thought that the Pandora can't handle USB 1.1 devices because it lacked the internal hub ?

USBit I have to use to backup and restore my card. It works with internal and external card reader under WIN.

Please try a other card.

I'm not sure I understand the question correctly. Card changes are detected. You can use FAT and ADFS Devices. ADFS is limited to 256GB, FAT to 2GB and 256GB with FAT32FS (?).

USB 1.1: Of course - the Pandora (Panda, Beagle, RPi there somewhere;-)) I have keyboard, a mouse and an old stick. that work with Angstrom and Slackware only via a hub. RISC OS can handle directly.

I was able to use the card in Angstrom Linux. Maybe the permisions are geting messed up somehow.

Have you try USBit?

You can try the old Image with USBit.

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/PandoraOperatingSystems/RISCOS4GB.imz

If you take this to a SDCard, take this to the right slot.

Left take a FAT Card and take autoboot, CMOS2_1 (rename to cmos) and riscos in root.

If you take this to a USBStick use cmos_scsi (rename to cmos)...

A little Problem. The most Paths inside are setting to SDFS... Stick is SCSI... But it should work.

Edit:

I will try to use dd to write the Image on the card. Only use the Pandora...

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tried burning the image to a different brand. The write-protect error message happened on that card (which is a Sandisk 32 GB Ultra SD card).

I have keyboard, a mouse and an old stick. that work with Angstrom and Slackware only via a hub. RISC OS can handle directly.
Seriously? :eek:

How the heck would THAT work... if that's really true, it would be awesome news... :eek:

Is your card writeprotect?

I have a card... the slider is moving to protect if I insert this...
What kernel are you using for RiscOS?

There seems to be some bug on the Pandora PCB (on all units). Quite a lot fail to detect the write-protection switch and will always set the SD Card as writeprotected, no matter what you do.

Therefore, this switch has been disabled in the normal Pandora kernel.

If this is the one you use, it can't be the physical switch.

If you're using your own kernel, then this switch should be disabled as well.

Someone should make a PND that makes a SD card that can boot into the RISC OS and has a collection of emulators, etc. already installed.

EDIT: I tried using the stable image. The error still occurrs along with one stating that the ramdisk size is too small.

Have you try USBit?

You can try the old Image with USBit.

http://mcobit.openpandora.org/PandoraOperatingSystems/RISCOS4GB.imz

If you take this to a SDCard, take this to the right slot.

Left take a FAT Card and take autoboot, CMOS2_1 (rename to cmos) and riscos in root.

If you take this to a USBStick use cmos_scsi (rename to cmos)...

A little Problem. The most Paths inside are setting to SDFS... Stick is SCSI... But it should work.

Edit:

I will try to use dd to write the Image on the card. Only use the Pandora...
So, where's the Image that was made using dd at?

@EvilDragon

The other (de) Forum wouldt be better for me ;-)

I have no use the old devices since our pandorakey is working. It was before the Firmware is changed. At the next days I will try this.

RISC OS is not using a Kernel like Linux. Ok the ROM has a comparable function. RISC OS is a "complete" OS and needs her own driver and have a own HAL.

The Desktop is in the ROM. If you only use the autoboot, riscos and cmos an a FAT partition and you start the Pandora, you see the CLI (command line interface). Type *desktop ... Now you can change the card or what ever. But FAT has a 2GB size limitation.

With RISC OS the write protection works. I remember it was a little bit problematic an I became not the same results with the Batch1 and the Rebirth Pandora. It was in July last year.

@Zero3K

I have anwer your post at the ROOL Forum.

dd can use the same .img for Win32DiscImager. Try dd --help in the terminal.

Yesterday I don't have enought time to try this. I hope today.

Have you tried any of the console/arcade emulators available for it? If so; how fast are they? If they are fast enough; I suggest that they should be added to the image you're providing.

What specifically? This is not my preferred doing ;-)

Edit:

Hatary, DOSBox, VScumm are inside. BeeBit not, Vice is unstable, FMSX works only under ArcEm...

Very cool, I will try risc os tonight :)

How is performance like compared to angstrom? Any benchmark we can run? How about battery life?

It boots in 15s on my Batch1 and round about 5s on Ingos 1GHz...

Battery life is the same as under Angström. Benchmarktools are not inside. I will try some for the next issue.

Well that was fast, I just used USBit and the .imz posted at the beginning, no problem installing RISC OS. I'm using a Transcend 4GB x150 SD by the way.

Very nice job Raik, I like the userguide at the beginning. I see folders for a few freeware games - any of them working? Freeciv seems to only have some datafiles.

Now to work out how to download Apps and transfer them accross :)

Back