Release Application : HackerBooks

Latest version is out : 0.14

http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=hackerbooks

Many small changes:

- Added icons on buttons

- Download button becomes a progress % indicator when downloading (a trick I am a little proud of :) killed two birds with one stone)

- Expanded the window a little

- Most buttons now have keyboard shortcuts

- New books added

- many other small things you will not see.

In case you do not see any of these changes after upgrading you may have to erase your appdata folder first (and potentially restart your Pandora to reflect the changes). I had to do that on my Pandora, and I am not too sure why this is happening.

ANyway, it should be worth the hassle to update.

Please let me know your impressions !

Are all of these books only in english or do other languages (for example german) exist? When it comes to detailled technical stuff, I prefer my mother language. ^^

Are all of these books only in english or do other languages (for example german) exist? When it comes to detailled technical stuff, I prefer my mother language. ^^
All in english. There may be resources in other languages but I seriously doubt you would find the same wealth and quality of documents in other languages. This being said, most of them are written in a very accessible Emglish.

New version in the repo with a few more fixes / features and added books.

By the way I am reading recently "Free as in Freedom" about the life of RMS (available through HackerBooks) and it's a very interesting read. I recommend it to everyone interested to know where the whole GNU / FSF came from. 

Just for me as little info:

Are there books included for those not familiar with programming (me) and want to learn C/C++?

What's the difference?

I'm not a bloody beginner as I made some characters for Super Smash Bros Brawl.

It was some extreme simple programming language I could use there.

(I know how loops and if terms work and such stuff)

What's the difference?

Well C is much more low level than Python.

It's not just about loops and if..then stuff.

If you want to display a window in C it takes tons of lines, and it goes much deeper in the inner workings of the system and libraries. You are usually more concise and efficient in Python (but you lose speed).

I mean it's up to you. You can try C first, but my recommendation is to start from high level languages first then move to C when you have a better understanding of how memory management works. You may find pointers a difficult concept to grasp in C, for example. 

And sorry to say, but until you do something in the target language, you ARE a bloody beginner :) Everyone is. Programming is a neverending learning journey. Don't assume you will ever "know" stuff. 

Programming is a neverending learning journey. Don't assume you will ever "know" stuff.
could not agree more.
awesome little app there. perfect as an "on the fly" reference while your "in medias res". ive been thinking about something like that for a while myself. i usually prefer real world books, but you just cant take em with you all the time.

What's the difference?

If you want to display a window in C it takes tons of lines, and it goes much deeper in the inner workings of the system and libraries. You are usually more concise and efficient in Python (but you lose speed).

I mean it's up to you. You can try C first, but my recommendation is to start from high level languages first then move to C when you have a better understanding of how memory management works. You may find pointers a difficult concept to grasp in C, for example. 

And sorry to say, but until you do something in the target language, you ARE a bloody beginner :) Everyone is. Programming is a neverending learning journey. Don't assume you will ever "know" stuff. 
Thanks fr your advice :) .

So I'll try to go for python in my holidays :) .

What's the difference?

Thanks fr your advice :) .

So I'll try to go for python in my holidays :) .
Glad it helps. Anyway if you realize Python is "too easy" for you, you can always jump to C :)

Edited title to reflect the non-upcoming-ness of hackerbooks.

(The forum editor isn't working well for me right now; consider the above to be in green bold :) )

Thank you ekianjo, I really like that program. Haven't read much books but just the first one which I caught a glimpse of made my day.

You rejected this earlier in the thread but I too find it useful to have a possibility to load personal books.

Thank you ekianjo, I really like that program. Haven't read much books but just the first one which I caught a glimpse of made my day.

You rejected this earlier in the thread but I too find it useful to have a possibility to load personal books.
I didn't reject it, I said it would fit into a separate application better :)

Yes I know ;) . Your concept is a central library for all and personal books on the shelves at home. Makes perfect sense.

I'd like to have a central library with a shelf in it labelled "For my eyes only", just filled by me.

Back