Anyway To Minimize Ghosting?

Cheers Ed ive sorted it. And what's best about this machine multiple settings so when I wanna play sensi just click the right gamma profile. The colours don't jump out as much now but it's eliminated nearly all of the ghosting I was talking about. Woo hoo

MDave said:
Alright here you go. An increase of 2 looked pretty much identical. I don't think it would help ghosting much either :p

So I increased any sub pixels that are below 40, to 40. Except for blacks and near blacks, I raised those to 16.

Doesn't look too bad!

Would you have been able to tell the difference if it weren't shown side by side? And this is for the worst offending game of ghosting, right? :p So the differences would be even less for other games.

Is there any way to scroll picture files along on the Pandora? Might be a good test for ghosting!
It is noticeably more washed out. The Pandora LCD is not as high contrast as the monitorI am viewing these pics on either. I will stick with the ghosting.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
The only real way to get rid of all ghosting is to switch out the LCD for OLED :p
You know, I don't think I've seen an OLED yet that refreshed at faster than 60hz. I can see OLED refreshes, but I can't see LCD refreshes. So OLED screens look like shit to me. I don't really understand why they don't just refresh the screen faster since OLED's can switch so fast (the pixels themselves can change colors in like .1 ms I believe). If the screen moves at all or is in my peripheral vision, though, I can see the refreshes. I'm pretty sensitive to that though, I can't watch a lot of DLP projectors because I can see rainbow artifacts everywhere. Newer ones aren't as bad as they used to be though.

Then again, the contrast on OLEDs is stunning. My ONLY qualm with the tech so far is that the refreshes are just so damn evident!

rabidpoobear said:
DaveC said:
The only real way to get rid of all ghosting is to switch out the LCD for OLED :p
You know, I don't think I've seen an OLED yet that refreshed at faster than 60hz. I can see OLED refreshes, but I can't see LCD refreshes. So OLED screens look like shit to me. I don't really understand why they don't just refresh the screen faster since OLED's can switch so fast (the pixels themselves can change colors in like .1 ms I believe). If the screen moves at all or is in my peripheral vision, though, I can see the refreshes. I'm pretty sensitive to that though, I can't watch a lot of DLP projectors because I can see rainbow artifacts everywhere. Newer ones aren't as bad as they used to be though.

Then again, the contrast on OLEDs is stunning. My ONLY qualm with the tech so far is that the refreshes are just so damn evident!
You will see refreshes on a 60Hz OLED the same reason you see flicker on 60 HZ CRTS. Because the OLED pixels react so fast they don't persist and "fill in" gaps in scanning. They already are fading as soon as the scan line is done. The way to get around it is to electronically hold the image after scan and release just before it is refreshed again. I don't notice any flicker on the Wiz.

LCDs are so damn SLOW in response that they are still slowly returning to neutral by the time the same line is being refreshed again. This slowness acts like a buffer. The problem is then you get ghosting.

DaveC said:
You will see refreshes on a 60Hz OLED the same reason you see flicker on 60 HZ CRTS. Because the OLED pixels react so fast they don't persist and "fill in" gaps in scanning. They already are fading as soon as the scan line is done. The way to get around it is to electronically hold the image after scan and release just before it is refreshed again. I don't notice any flicker on the Wiz.

LCDs are so damn SLOW in response that they are still slowly returning to neutral by the time the same line is being refreshed again. This slowness acts like a buffer. The problem is then you get ghosting.
The first OLED I noticed it on was the 11" Sony. I was really surprised because it makes it look kinda cheap.

I'm not sure I understand your explanation. You're not referring to the update in the video card buffer but the actual scan itself? I.E. the controller board is going through and changing rows of pixels, and the row resets so fast that I can see a 'tear' essentially from the display redrawing? because it doesn't necessarily look like a tear, it looks like... if you move it back and forth really fast, instead of blurring, it looks like a bunch of after-images that are perfectly clear. Is taht because they aren't keeping the LEDs on all the time? I mean if I set up an LED and PWM it down and then wave it around, I don't see it do that. I guess because the frequency of the pwm is much higher than 60hz. So are they going to do this on new OLED's? Or have they already? (you mention Wiz doesn't have the problem. Are the new OLED phones also fixed in this regard?)

The Sony oled tv is also an earlier generation so it makes sense that it'd be a bit behind modern oled devices. I personally need to see some modern proper (RGB) OLED sets. I know the nexus one is oled but it I guess uses some odd rgb 2:4:2 configuration which is cheapo and ew and wouldn't give me a good idea of the capability of the technology. I'd like to see one of those newer LG sets to be honest.

rabidpoobear said:
You know, I don't think I've seen an OLED yet that refreshed at faster than 60hz.

Wiz can (and does) refresh at 120Hz without problem.

DaveC said:
MDave said:
Alright here you go. An increase of 2 looked pretty much identical. I don't think it would help ghosting much either :p

So I increased any sub pixels that are below 40, to 40. Except for blacks and near blacks, I raised those to 16.

Doesn't look too bad!

Would you have been able to tell the difference if it weren't shown side by side? And this is for the worst offending game of ghosting, right? :p So the differences would be even less for other games.

Is there any way to scroll picture files along on the Pandora? Might be a good test for ghosting!
It is noticeably more washed out. The Pandora LCD is not as high contrast as the monitorI am viewing these pics on either. I will stick with the ghosting.

Noticeably more washed out because you are looking at the original next to it! If I hadn't shown the original screen shot, are you saying you would have noticed?

I'd probably notice the blue tint in the land, but just blame it on poor screen quality... A lot of bad LCDs with over-blue darker colors (and completely explode with red/green the lighter colors).

Back