Anyone Not Have Any Problems?

Gekkonidae

Still Fresh
It's typical that people generally only post when they have issues so I wanted to find out how many of you have no problems at all with your GP2X. Maybe all the hardware issues are on just a select few. If your GP2X has been flawless so far then please reply..

Thank you!

flawless

I just gained connectivity with my computer via USB hub. the only 2 things I want fixed now before the 2x is perfect in my eyes is the battery life, and the >1 gb sd compatibility. Everything is sweet :)

Gekkonidae posted on Dec 3 2005 at 04:20 PM said:
It's typical that people generally only post when they have issues so I wanted to find out how many of you have no problems at all with your GP2X. Maybe all the hardware issues are on just a select few. If your GP2X has been flawless so far then please reply..

Thank you!

I love my GP2X. As for issues, I think I might have a higher tolerance for problems than others. For example, on the black "GP2X" loading screen there are some wavy lines around the logo, but they go away when the loading screen goes away, so who cares? Although I can't get USB to work on Windows, I have a card-reader for that and USB works just perfectly on my Linux box, which is what I use at home. I've not tried it properly on Mac OSX yet because when I tried it, I didn't realise that you need to start the USB app in the Settings menu to effect a transfer.

I bought the thing to see what development on the platform is like (I teach on a university games development course) and so far I've released two small games using my simple sprite classes. So it's proving very easy (and a lot of fun) to write games for the device. Therefore, for my purposes, the thing is perfect.

Try my games:

Pong
Plasma Defence Commander

Last edited by a moderator:
My GP2x has a major problem that I need to discuss here. It's so many, I mean, so many games to play on it, already, my other consoles collecting dust which invested way more money on. No good. :D

[Edit] p.s. Yes, I'm including emulated games, especially for NeoCD, which rocks my world at the moment. :)

my gp2x rocks as well .. i've got no problems i'm really worried about (i know everything i'm worried about is about to get fixed) .. and i'm playing tons of games on it .. 'tis definitely fulfilling its role as a 'turn on and play for a few minutes' style unit, and its only getting better and better in the week that i've had it.. the emu's we have --already-- are enough to keep me happy for years. when MAME shows up to the party, i think i'm gonna have to go find a place to lay down .. and play GAMES!!!!! :)

Yeah, lovin' it myself also :D

A few qualms with regards to the lack of USB connectivity (but I have a card reader) and battery life (but I have loads of rechargables), and it takes me a few attempts to get anything to work (just got Metal Slug sorted a couple of days ago, but still can't work any other NeoCD games or the SNES emulator)...

All in all, I'm happy with it, and my Neo Geo Pocket's happy that it's having a rest now :rolleyes:

should have been a poll!
absulutely flawless for me (apart from that sucky stick, but thats supposed to be like that)

Mine just arrived today (woot!) and so far I've almost no problems. I have a single dead pixel, and that is the only problem I've had, and that's not nearly enough to bug me.

Out of the box, it recognised my SD card without any problems (Lexar 1 gig, if you're wondering) and I was able to upgrade the firmware without any difficulty.

Played around on the SNES emu a bit, along with the video player, Frodo, Quake, and Hexen. I'm impressed by how quickly the SNES emulator came around and is already starting to feel good. Quake was definately playable... I'm really happy =)

-OCA|

flawless, well almost.. I have some dust behind my protector however with knocking at the screen for some while I got rid of it and it's in the left corner of the screen now, behind the black boarder of the hard protector :D

The Hardware itself is GREAT. I was really surprised about the quality this product is manufactured with. I also can't share all the complaints about the D-Stick, ok it's slippery, but that's the only fault I see(besides some bad firmware checks on the microswitches that make it less accurate than it is in reality).

The Screen has NO dead or stuck pixel after all, it's perfectly backlit without any too bright or too dark spots(*thinks of the DS where the screen isn't fully lit in the same strenght). The native Resolution looks very crisp, however I can only tell by the firmware menu since my SD Card will arrive sometime next week...

I give that Handheld

For Hardware: 11/10 -perfect and even better!

For Firmware: 4/10 -bad battery management, scanlines on the screen, bad SD Drivers without full compatibility to all types of SD Cards, no 2GB SD supported, USB mode to win/linux is buggy(due to the SD drivers I guess), bad stick direction recognization, Movie Player doesn't play all formats it should and can crash(SD drivers again),...

Ok that's it. If GPH can manage to fix the firmware problems, I would give the system a 10/10 in there too.

Apart from the fact that I cant upgrade the firmware at the moment I have no problem with my gp2x. I should be going out to get myself a 1gb sandisk sd tomorrow (which should hopefully let my update), because I cant use my 64mb card out of my camera forever. I already filled it up with snes roms

I got myself a 1GB SanDisk this morning (the blue ones, not the 'high speed' black ones), and it works great. I used the transparent no-name USB 2.0 card reader I got for my gp32 from lik-sang. One thing - when I first plugged it into my XP SP2 box, I went to the disk manager and it said that the card was formatted using FAT, not FAT32. I then formatted the card (full format) to FAT32, got the latest update zip file from gp2x.com, followed the instructions and a couple of minutes later I had a 1.01 gp2x. No problems at all. The only glitch I encountered was USB, for some reason the gp2x is not recognized on the front USB ports on my PC, but it works flawlessly on the back ones. Go figure.

To test battery life, I took the anime series FLCL, encoded all 6 episodes using DivX 6 (using the "portable" profile) to 320x240, and was able to watch the entire thing, basically over 2 and a half hours worth of anime. The batteries I used were Rayovac 15 minute rechargeables, 2000mAh. One small gripe, when the batteries ran low (at around the 2:40:00 mark), the only indication I had was the LCD going haywire; I was expecting the battery LED to light up (before the upgrade it was on all the time, now it's off all the time, go figure...)

On the quality of the device, it's just great. The screen is fantastic (although it is interlaced, I have no idea why one would want to interlace an LCD) and the sound through the earphones is great (the built-in speakers are kinda tinny, but then I didn't expect much of those). The joystick is a bit stiff at first, but it does get looser with some use, and the trick of twisting it to get a longer shaft does help at the beginning while it's still stiff (ooeerr ;))

I live in Hong Kong, and as well all know Lik-Sang have pulled it from the shelves, they claim they are waiting for an "improved batch" but it seems to me that all the problems are really firmware related, so a "second batch" would just be the exact same thing with newer hardware, am I right?

Flawless.

No problem.

Nice battery time (with no-name 2300 mha, more than 3 hours).

No dead fixel.

Ok stick.

Movie player is Ok (I use it a lot)

So many things to do with it, I need more time.

@captain bubby: yes I believe you're right :)

I suppose my only proble with it is that the fix for the movie player's XviD issues is the patch which I fear using. that and wondering if the stick issue will be a factor later on... dosent seem to be for me yet though.

Other than that, it player DivX format videos just fine for me. I have no deadpixles. The screen is beautiful. The games play easily and progress seems to be running nicely in terms of emulation.

Back