Usb Problems Solved!!! \o/

CaBBagE

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Ok, so I couldn't get the usb working on the GP2X, win2k could see it but there
were problems with it detecting it properly etc. I had a seriously good fiddle
around but with no joy.

Card reader arrived in the post this morning, same issues, I was confused.

I could go on with the gazzillion things I tried to get it working but I'll cut to the
chase.

I was trying to install the GP2X and the Card Reader in the front usb ports on
my case. The same ports which run my gampads, camera, joystick etc. with
no problems. Tonight I tried the GP2X and the Card Reader in the main mobo
usb ports and KERCHING, everyting installed in seconds.

The main point of my story is that you too may be using front case extension
ports which maybe slightly sensitive as mine were, try the main mobo usb ports
EVEN if (like me) you have gear working normally through your front ones.

Hope this might help a few others out there in USBHELL(tm) \o/ :)

I had a GSM-to-USB cable connected to a USB-hub... Caused the comp to boot about a minute or so... When I connected the cable directly, booted normally...

Noticed that too...I have had similar problems withultrasensitive front USB ports (low quality i guess) When i plug it in the back... no problems indeed. Also when i plug in my external HD, booting is alot slower.
I hope this _is_ the real problem, but, I've heard so many solutions / possible causes I don't know it anymore.
Hopefully when my unit arrives, everything works great ;)

I found that the GP2X's USB started working for me when I used it through a powered USB hub. I think that means that some USB ports just don't supply enough power for the GP2x.

I found that the GP2X's USB started working for me when I used it through a powered USB hub. I think that means that some USB ports just don't supply enough power for the GP2x.
Same here... usb doesn't work when I connect the gp2x to one of my pc's usb ports (front or back). But when I use the usb hub on my desk it works!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I had the USB problem when WinXP SP2 didn't pick up my GP2X. I thought it would just pick it up as soon as the cable was plugged in, but found that I had to select "USB" from the GP2X menu. Worked fine after that.

No-one else is making that mistake, right? :D

The GP2X gets its power from the batteries :rolleyes:, even when using USB.
Well duh. My point is that on one of my computers (it works straight off on the others), the USB starts working once I use a powered hub. So it seems that the amount of power supplied by the USB port makes a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMFGOMFGOMFGOMFGOMFG

Thank you SOO much. you have solved my problem. How could I have not realized? the damn hub has been sitting on my desk for like 2 years now growing dust. just wow.

excellent find!

AFAIK the reason that it only work on certain ports is that some of them are or not are USB2.0.

Back