Anyone Have Some Help For A Newbie Like Me? Games Won't Load!

aesir911

aesir triumphs
Hi everyone! Thank you for spending the time to look at, and trying to solve my problem. I just got the gp2x wiz in the mail today. I had downloaded games from the systems: NES, SNES, MD, NeoGeo, PC-Engine, GameBoy Advance, CPS-1, CPS-2, And MAME. I can't get any of them to work! I've never had this problem with my dingoo, supercard, or dstti card. How do I get these to work?

I downloaded the games legally (since I own the games). I then unzipped the files and put them into their respective folders. Afterwords, I put them straight onto a Sandisk 8gb microsdhc card, then put that into a Sandisk micro SD Adapter. I tried clicking on the first icon (SD Wiz Games) but no files showed up. I checked other files and could not find them in anything besides launcher. I click on the folder it is in and a ".." appears. No games! Just game titles' folders!

How do I get these to work? Is there special emulators I must download? Is there special websites I must download roms from? What's going on!!! Any help, links, user guides, etc. would be much helpful. Thank you in advance for your help.

OK, first of all, please remove your warez links from your post, or wait for a mod to place " [We do not condone this activity. Consider this as a warning.] " in there.

Second, yes there are specific emulators that you must use on your Wiz. You can find them here. Each one should have a readme file with all instructions.

gp2.eXe said:
OK, first of all, please remove your warez links from your post, or wait for a mod to place " [We do not condone this activity. Consider this as a warning.] " in there.

Second, yes there are specific emulators that you must use on your Wiz. You can find them here. Each one should have a readme file with all instructions.

Okay, sounds good. Um, I'm not seeing any readme files...

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean that the emulators in the archive that you surely downloaded don't come with a readme.txt file? Well, that's kind of a problem... still, try searching for a thread related to the specific emulator you cannot get to work.

And no, to my knowledge the Wiz does not come with much useful software built-in.

hm... I guess this wasn't the system for me. Do you know (step by step) how to get the MAME emulator to work on the wiz (their instructions are flawed).

aesir911 said:
hm... I guess this wasn't the system for me. Do you know (step by step) how to get the MAME emulator to work on the wiz (their instructions are flawed).

DON'T QUIT ON THE WIZ!! I know it's frustrating, when emulators won't work, and they're like the whole reason you bought it. But I, my self, have gotten through all my problems and gotten every emulator to work. So far, I still have problems with MAME and PC ENGINE, but I'm working on figuring those out too.

First big problem I had on my emulators was that my SD-CARD had the tiny switch set to LOCK on the outside of the card. Make sure your SD-CARD is not locked.

Then, all of a sudden, everything was working.

Also, make sure to read the instruction manual throughly. There's a section that teaches you how to format your card. The system doesn't even format your card for you (I know it's lame). You have to create specifically named folders on the card with which to put things in.

I know it seems a lot to ask, but READ YOUR INSTRUCTIONS FOR THINGS. :) All the way through.

If you still have troubles, I can just upload the contents of my card to a zip file that you can just unzip and paste into your memory card's root directory.

Get your emulators from this site: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi

Those come in the proper folders with readme's attached. In some emulators, there's a roms folder to drop the games in. If not, just drop the roms anywhere. Right in the main folder of the emulator if you want.

If you look at the following pics, you can see how my card is set up:
WIZ1.png

ROOT DIRECTORY
WIZ2.png

EMULATORS FOLDER
WIZ3.png

SEGA MASTER FOLDER EXAMPLE

Everything is in there just like so, so there shouldn't be a problem. MAME & PCENGINE I'm still trying to figure out, but there shouldn't be a problem with the others.

Saving states, in Sega Master by the way, is weird. You hold down the "SELECT" button on your Wiz while click the left shoulder button. Then "SELECT" and Right shoulder button to load. And to get to the Sega Master menu screen, your click both shoulder buttons at once.

Getting back to the SNES emulator menu is also weird. You have to hold the left shoulder button while clicking both volume buttons. I think that's the right combo. If it doesn't work, try other combos, but with the volume buttons.

Hope that helped ya!!

Every emulator has its own ways about doing things, so you really need to read those read me or any other text files that come with the download. dogeymon already gave you some good advice on the correct file structures and whatnot that pretty much transcends all the Wiz apps. Once you put the files in there places, you can run the emulator by selecting the .gpe file from the Wiz Launcher, do this first to make sure the apps work and your comfortable using the system then we can work on getting the menu set up with pretty icons and stuff.

In regards to MAME specifically, I think many people assume just because its MAME it will work with any arcade roms but it won't, check the game list file that comes with the package and make sure the game you are trying to run is supported first. There are no real tricks to get MAME working, you just need the right romset. The game list file will also let you know what the zip file of each rom needs to be named so you'll know if you have the right romset or not.

Thanks so much for the help guys. So far I've only gotten one emulator to work. picodrive. Sadly, there was no included instruction manual. By the way, what emulators did you get to work on http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi. What games did not work on these emulators? Thanks.

Anyone have step by step (easy) instructions for GnGeo, PocketSNES, AlexKidd2x, PC-Engine: Temper, and gpsp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSiVvo5dXRc

Watch it again, I added quotes to the vid to explain the things I forgot to say. I'll just explain the rest here soon.

dogeymon said:

Watch it again, I added quotes to the vid to explain the things I forgot to say. I'll just explain the rest here soon.
Great vid, though there isnt a link to the GBA bios?

beavith said:
dogeymon said:

There's no need. If you type "gba_bios.bin" into google, it's like the first result that comes up! I found one from rapidshare like immediately.

dogeymon said:
beavith said:
dogeymon said:

There's no need. If you type "gba_bios.bin" into google, it's like the first result that comes up! I found one from rapidshare like immediately.
Well then, i feel like an idiot! But thanks!

Nice video man, thanks. now i just need to find gba_bios.bin. How about some other videos, like AlexKidd2x?

aesir911 said:
Nice video man, thanks. now i just need to find gba_bios.bin. How about some other videos, like AlexKidd2x?

Ok, go to this link at the AlexKidd emulator will download. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,1,0,0,71,50

Unzip it and it should be a single folder. Just paste that folder directly onto your memory card. Ya know the root directory of your memory card? You should have a "game" folder, where you supposedly put the gba emulator. Put the AlexKidd folder in there. Then put the roms in the "roms" folder. Then take out the memory card from your computer, make sure the lock switch on your SD-CARD is not set to lock. Then put the memory card in your Wiz and go to Launcher, just like in the youtube video, click "game", then click the AlexKidd folder, go to the bottom of the list and click the "alexkidd2x.gpe" file, (not the ._alexkidd2x.gpe one)

This starts up the program, and you should see all your roms in the list in front of you. If you don't, you have to click around and find them. Look for the "roms" folder. When you see the list of game roms, use button B to select a game, then choose "configure input" if you want to configure the keys differently. Then to start the game, hit the "select" key of your Wiz. That really is all there is to it. You shouldn't be having problems. To save your state in a game, hold down the "select" button on your Wiz and hit the Left trigger button. Hold "select" and the Right trigger button to load. When you're done playing a Sega Master game, simultaneously hit the L and R triggers, and then hit the menu key.

That's all you need to know.

dogeymon said:
aesir911 said:

Ok, go to this link at the AlexKidd emulator will download. http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,1,0,0,71,50

Unzip it and it should be a single folder. Just paste that folder directly onto your memory card. Ya know the root directory of your memory card? You should have a "game" folder, where you supposedly put the gba emulator. Put the AlexKidd folder in there. Then put the roms in the "roms" folder. Then take out the memory card from your computer, make sure the lock switch on your SD-CARD is not set to lock. Then put the memory card in your Wiz and go to Launcher, just like in the youtube video, click "game", then click the AlexKidd folder, go to the bottom of the list and click the "alexkidd2x.gpe" file, (not the ._alexkidd2x.gpe one)

This starts up the program, and you should see all your roms in the list in front of you. If you don't, you have to click around and find them. Look for the "roms" folder. When you see the list of game roms, use button B to select a game, then choose "configure input" if you want to configure the keys differently. Then to start the game, hit the "select" key of your Wiz. That really is all there is to it. You shouldn't be having problems. To save your state in a game, hold down the "select" button on your Wiz and hit the Left trigger button. Hold "select" and the Right trigger button to load. When you're done playing a Sega Master game, simultaneously hit the L and R triggers, and then hit the menu key.

That's all you need to know.

Yeah, I tried all of that already. It starts to load and then stops. Is it supposed to be .sms for sega master system and .gg for gamegear? Any ideas? What other emulators did you get to work?

aesir911 said:
I figured out the problem with the Alex emulator. Dumb mistake.

Ok, good to know. Because I really don't know what the problem was. I said "make sure you're clicking on the right .gpe file. There's the real one, and a shadow one."

any new youtube videos on how to get emulators to work on the wiz, dogeymon?

Back