Anyone Ever Think Of Sobriety?

Alex. said:
ever tried?
Whoah, dude.
Please NEVER underestimate sobriety. I don´t know what you´ve been told, but it´s nothing to joke around with. Once you get sober, your body undergoes irreversible changes that can lead to addiction, tissue damage, death of brain cells, cancer, AIDS etc.
I know that it is regarded as "cool" to get sober by some people, but i tell you: Those people are not your friends.
Ask yourself: Do you want to become like them, needing a glass of water just to get up in the morning? Seeing everything just once? No, of course not.
Being sober is dangerous for your fellow human beings. Did you know that 84% of all lethal traffic accidents are caused by sober drivers?

So stay drunken, my friend, if you don´t want your life going straight downwards.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly I do it every 48 hrs, for about 24 hrs. I wake up with a hang over and think, sod this, I need to stop drinking. By the time I get home from work the next day I think, sod this I need a drink. Pathetic really...

I have been sober since June, partly because I can't be arsed going out to a pub/club and getting a drink as I find the whole experience to be rather boring and unfulfilling. Although, when I last had a tipple, I went over board quite badly. Wasn't drunk and didnt get a hang over from it. Pretty boring night and I was out with people I don't really care for so that may be why I spent so much on trying to drink myself under the table. But, sobriety is good. Although, being drunk means you can look past little problems that you cant when sober. And its not hard to be sober. Its like quitting smoking. Everyone says its hard but its not really (this coming from someone who has never smoked). Its just will power. And its will power that I'll be using to get drunk at xmas.

Haha how can you say smoking isnt hard to quit if you've never done it, its pretty damn hard and I have a pretty good amount of willpower. At times it becomes a similar sensation to being thirsty or hungry. Eat as many saltines as you can handle and dont drink any water, also have a nice big glass of water sitting in front of you the whole time. Repeat several times a day for many days.

I was sober for about the first 15-16 years of my life, i havent looked back since. In all seriousness though, for some drinking can be a very serious problem. If you feel dependent or addicted you really should consider some professional help, or try to find some new hobbies or friends.

I think I've grown out of the getting wrecked with mates on a regular basis. I just lapse into getting wrecked mode a few times a year these days :) The good thing about sobriety is you save loads of cash!

As for quitting smoking. I did years ago but it was damn hard. It's a little known fact that Niccotine is actually more addictive than Heroin.

andius said:
I was sober for about the first 15-16 years of my life, i havent looked back since. In all seriousness though, for some drinking can be a very serious problem. If you feel dependent or addicted you really should consider some professional help, or try to find some new hobbies or friends.
This topic originated as a parody to another topic here that seems to have been deleted.

You do have a point though, about not looking back ;)

Shit, I don't know what's so difficult about just having a few drinks fri/sat night and have that be the end of it, no need to get puking/piss drunk. And if you're drinking all day every day you need to take a good look at your life.

It seems almost "fashionable" for the British to go out drinking. Can someone shed some light on this? I know that if an American says it, it usually means that they have a bit of a problem.

Just something I've picked up on. Almost like a British "pastime", if you will :p

Because in Britain we're real men and drink real beer :rolleyes:

(Yes, I think we may have a problem!)

Depends if you like your real ales or not.

I agree all main-stream British beer is poor - my cheapo home brew is better than most largers you'd get in a pub.

That's probably why we drink so much of the stuff - after a few pints you don't really care what it tastes like :lol:

deluded said:
Depends if you like your real ales or not.

I agree all main-stream British beer is poor - my cheapo home brew is better than most largers you'd get in a pub.
This is true of pretty much every beer I've ever drank. The smaller breweries almost always brew the best beers. I'm enjoying a glass of locally brewed Alley Kat right now and it is delicious. Later I might go to my brother's place where he'll hand me a can of Kokanee and I'll wonder why someone urinated in my beer can and how they were able to close it up again after they finished.

But I tend to prefer porters and stouts and the only major beer company I can think of that sells that stuff in my area is Guinness (which I enjoy.)

Ganepark32 said:
I have been sober since June, partly because I can't be arsed going out to a pub/club and getting a drink as I find the whole experience to be rather boring and unfulfilling. Although, when I last had a tipple, I went over board quite badly. Wasn't drunk and didnt get a hang over from it. Pretty boring night and I was out with people I don't really care for so that may be why I spent so much on trying to drink myself under the table. But, sobriety is good. Although, being drunk means you can look past little problems that you cant when sober. And its not hard to be sober. Its like quitting smoking. Everyone says its hard but its not really (this coming from someone who has never smoked). Its just will power. And its will power that I'll be using to get drunk at xmas.
Quitting drinking when you aren't an alcoholic is significantly easier than quitting smoking when you are addicted to cigarettes.

Drinking is pretty passe, I don't get very drunk very often anymore. Seeing drunken moron rugby players (for example) has put me off, and I find that people stoned or on pills/mdma tend to be a lot more sound on average. Going out cheese clubbing with shit music and getting wasted on booze doesn't appeal to me. I'd rather pay more money to go to a club that has real talented DJs/bands/MCs/whatever and just stay sober and remember the event.

I agree with yuo LHC on that. I hate these clubs that are appearing all over the place that are offering drink while you bob around to the latest crappy dance/electronica/r'n'b tune. What I would prefer to do is go to a club that would have awesome bands (homegrown and from far afield) and stay sober and that would be much more enjoyable. I would also like to see an increase in Jazz Bars. I have not found one Jazz Bar in scotland which sucks. Those are things I'd rather do than drinking myself silly. I normally only do it to get away from the fact I'm having to put up with the worst music to ever pass through my ear drums.

I've had some really really great times drinking with friends, its all about what you make of it guess. I've never been a club or party drinker either. I love drinking and being places outside, lately i've been drunk skating pretty often. Its great just cruising down the street with a couple buddies in a pretty mushy state of mind heh.

To put things in perspective though, I have had a horrible hangover all day, and ruined my chances with a girl i've liked last night. Smoking (mj) and drinking do not work out for me...ahhh the spins. Things were going great, we chatting in the corner of the concert, sharing some rum and peicing ciggarettes. THings are going great, she's giving me the eye. In a short while our bottle of Sailor Jerry was empty and we were having a great time still. Someone taps me on the shoulder, and passes a blunt into my hand...hmm i think to myself. I'll just take a few small rips. 20 minutes later im hanging onto the handrail outside for dear life trying to make the world stop spinning. End up puking and waking up in some kitchen.

Drinking has its ups and downs. :blink:

Back