Anyone Else Received Their Caanoo?

Okay, so first impressions.

First off the system feels very nice in my hands, the face buttons are quite responsive, the should buttons may take some getting used to since they click inwards, rather than right down like on a DS lite or GBA.
The analogue stick seems to work pretty well, but I haven't had a good opportunity to really tested it out yet. What worries me is that there's a lack of resistance in pushing it, but with so little software available on the archive so far, and FunGP apparently not working, I've yet to see if it's really good or bad. My first impression of the analogue stick though is that it'll probably be better than the F100's blasted joystick.

The screen on the system is pretty good, it's a standard LCD screen, but not as spectacular as what I'd expect from a DS Lite maybe. The viewing angle is not terribly great, and the colours in the photo app seem a little off, but when viewing a video it seems to be just fine. (It could just be the photo viewer doesn't manage colours well)
I'll get a much better idea of the colours once I get an emulator or familiar game running, but the screen is pretty vibrant, and the resolution on the 3.5inch screen looks very sharp.
One of the concerns about the screen is the bezel, it does appear to cover a few pixels when viewed directly, but this is pretty minor.

The touchscreen as far as I can tell, from using the homebrew game EEEEK! EEEEEK! HOOOOOOK!!!, is pretty good and responsive, but I have to complain that the Caanoo stylus feels absolutely terrible. The nib feels like it will damage the screen if I continue using it, and feels rough on the screen. If you try using a DS stylus instead you'll find it to be miles better.

The speakers on the reverse of the system is a bit of a letdown sadly, since they face away from you, you aren't really hearing the sound at the best quality. Using headphones works just great though. The volume meter works just fine, it does have that reported delay but it's no issue at all really, if anything it's a little charming.

The USB host works quite well, I inserted my 8gb Xporter XT USB stick, and right away I could browse the files on there. I was able to play videos, read text and view pictures stored on there flawlessly.
As a laugh I tried other things by USB, I connected my iPod touch, and it began charging it whilst draining the Caanoo mercilessly, I also connected my 5th gen iPod, complete with disk access, and a USB charge cable for my DS Lite, which worked.
I don't have a compatible wifi stick at the moment.

I suppose one complaint is that the system is a bit hard to use when you're charging by USB cable. The thick propriety cable port GPH use, makes it a little difficult to secure insert the male end into the female port, just because of the cover.
At least it does at first, you soon figure out you can twist, then pull the cover off about 5mm, giving the port easy access.

All in all so far am I very pleased with the system, but I'll have to reserve judgement until I can play some good old emulation on there.

My white pre-order arrived from Play-Asia yesterday early morning via FedEx. I thought I had an SD card for it but can't find a spare one so I ordered one I'll get tomorrow, so I didn't do much yet. Tried and failed to installed that PC Manager program on Windows XP like so many others. Pleasantly surprised at how nice and solid it feels in my hands. Also I definitely like the larger form factor over the Wiz, which always feels small-ish in my big hands. Too me it's their best looking and feeling handheld yet. Looking forward to messing about with it this week as I get time.

I got mine today via UPS. (UPS service in my county is much better than FedEx.) Impression is good so far, took the SD card right out of my Wiz and popped it into my Caanoo. Nothing seems to work off of it (not unexpected), so, hopefully I see some emulators put up pretty soon! Main reason I bought this was to attempt to get Diablo on a hand held ;)

Hwrd said:
Does anyone know if the Caanoo will function without the battery installed?
(i.e., with a PSU of some form)

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking at mine and not entirely certain as to how one would go about removing said battery to even attempt it! (I suppose you could completely take the thing apart, but, you'll have to understand that I'm not exactly inclined to do so... :X)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I use the mame4all off the archive, I can't seem to overclock, getting a black screen every time I set the clock over 533. what's wrong here?

Obus10 said:
Hey, I use the mame4all off the archive, I can't seem to overclock, getting a black screen every time I set the clock over 533. what's wrong here?

I think GPH must've have used the source-code and shoddily recompiled Mame4all themselves, so it's not a proper release.
But for now, it's at least *something*.
I tried league bowling on there earlier, it played good. :D
I also tried Puzzle Bobble and that played well, I noticed the dead zone is pretty sensitive, like 5%? It needs to have a larger deadzone, hopefully a configurable one.

An interesting note though, GPH added G-sensor support to Mame, I've yet to try it though.

Just ordered mine today and is suppose to be coming in early tomorrow morning. I will be waiting near the door for sure :)

BlackPowderDoc said:
Hwrd said:
Does anyone know if the Caanoo will function without the battery installed?
(i.e., with a PSU of some form)

Thanks in advance!

I'm looking at mine and not entirely certain as to how one would go about removing said battery to even attempt it! (I suppose you could completely take the thing apart, but, you'll have to understand that I'm not exactly inclined to do so... :X)

Thanks. I was thinking of along the lines in the future when the battery dies and none are available. My GP32 and GP2X take standard batteries and will last a long while.

Very tempted by the Caanoo though!

Hey all

Just received my caanoo from play-asia today and all i can say is WOOHOO its great :)

Loaded the speccy and mame emulators and they run great no problems at all, also tried the light sword demo which works fine!

Ill play around with it tomorrow put some music and movies and what not on it but got work at 4 am so no time tonight.

Question though... does the caanoo support new/snes/genesis or any of those systems out the box?

cheers.. paul3100

b1ueskycomp1ex said:
RupeeClock said:
Wiz software isn't immediately compatible, but it's apparently easily recompilable.

And if GINGE gets running on the caanoo, most wiz software should immediately be available for the CAanoo.
Any one recieved one from gameseeker uk yet? They dont even have them in yet i preordered the white one a month ago

Anyone who ordered from my shop:
All normal units and gaming packages will have been shipped out by today.
Shipping via Hermes always takes a day longer, since I have to announce them one day in advance that I've got packages for them to pick up... therefore, all Hermes orders will be picked up today, DHL and UPS have been picked up yesterday.

The WiFi package is, as someone mentioned above, not ready yet and will be shipped (according to GPH) next Monday. Probably takes 3 - 4 days to arrive at my shop.
Then those will ship, too.

Thanks for the update ED - just to clarify, I ordered the Caanoo+Wifi package .. will my Caanoo arrive soon, and the Wifi adapter later in the week, or are they bundled together and thus my order shipping on Monday?

Just want to make sure I'm around to get the package when it arrives at home .. :)

torpor said:
Thanks for the update ED - just to clarify, I ordered the Caanoo+Wifi package .. will my Caanoo arrive soon, and the Wifi adapter later in the week, or are they bundled together and thus my order shipping on Monday?

Just want to make sure I'm around to get the package when it arrives at home .. :)

They are bundled together, I also get the units together with the WiFi dongles :)

Last edited:
i've just received my Caanoo, hurray \o/
i can't do too much with it atm, the archive is quite empty. is there anything else working on Caanoo (like Ginge, or any SNES/GBA emu)?
and can it work with other WiFi sticks, or only with its own?

EvilDragon said:
Shipping via Hermes always takes a day longer, since I have to announce them one day in advance that I've got packages for them to pick up... therefore, all Hermes orders will be picked up today, DHL and UPS have been picked up yesterday.

The WiFi package is, as someone mentioned above, not ready yet and will be shipped (according to GPH) next Monday. Probably takes 3 - 4 days to arrive at my shop.
Yeah, that is what I thought. GPH need a bit more time to put it together.
Sadly that means the ones who bought the (let's say slightly overpriced) WiFi-pack, will get their Caanoo last.
Not that I think we need to hurry, I - at least - am not a dev, and don't think I am going to port anything soon. I just want my new toy :p
GPH just doesn't like deadlines, but I think that is kind of charming :)

Looking forward to receiving my Caanoo soon.

derdritte said:
EvilDragon said:

Yeah, that is what I thought. GPH need a bit more time to put it together.
Sadly that means the ones who bought the (let's say slightly overpriced) WiFi-pack, will get their Caanoo last.
Not that I think we need to hurry, I - at least - am not a dev, and don't think I am going to port anything soon. I just want my new toy :p
GPH just doesn't like deadlines, but I think that is kind of charming :)

Looking forward to receiving my Caanoo soon.

The WiFi Pack is already available, already received it with the adapter

Back