Anyone Else Lost Interest?

pcklee123 said:
Any plans for Pandora2?
http://www.mobile-computing-news.co.uk/tag/omap4-netbook
If they start planning now, perhaps Pandora2 can be the 1st Omap4 device on the market.

There shouldn't be plans for the Pandora 2 yet, they shouldn't even be thinking about it until they've completed and shipped multiple batches of the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't be bothered to read this entire thread, but has anyone made fun of the typo in the topic yet?

If not : No, my interest in Pandora is still pretty tight! Haha? Get it? Hilarious. It's a spelling joke!

My interest has loosened :)

I've set up a C64 with a 1541 disc drive, so my retro fun has been taken care of for now.

borgqueenx said:
they make a second batch unfortunatly. It would be better to skip the second batch, making all our 4000 units very rare and special, and start making the pandora 2. (will be a year or so)

Less devices means less people using them so less software for them, so considering I'm paying £275 for the device I'd prefer having one that has as many people interested in it as possible, not something "super limited edition" and deliberately made that way.

And considering it took this long to make the first one, I think a second would be more than a year off, as I said finish what you've started before even considering something new, there's already enough "will it even be finished?" without encouraging them to forget about the first one and work on a second one instead. Also with all the work they are doing on the Pandora it would be a waste to only do one batch condidering all the design and everything has been done so creating additional batches is very little effort in comparison to the initial creation of the device.

They're definitely going to make another batch or two before they go through the tremendous effort of re-designing it.

They have to break even, you know. They're not a magical source of unique design effort.

Enverex said:
Less devices means less people using them so less software for them, so considering I'm paying £275 for the device I'd prefer having one that has as many people interested in it as possible

This is why most devices are built to a very tight schedule and compromises are made (ie. not aiming for perfection).

XBox360 is a good example of a device that was launched at the right time but in an unreliable form. If Microsoft had launched way after the PS3 and Wii then they would have failed.

This isn't a handheld that is a mass market device anyway, so it's up to the customer if they can be bothered to wait.

gilesjuk said:
XBox360 is a good example of a device that was launched at the right time but in an unreliable form. If Microsoft had launched way after the PS3 and Wii then they would have failed.

This isn't a handheld that is a mass market device anyway, so it's up to the customer if they can be bothered to wait.
It's somewhat unfortunate that Craig can't really afford to release something as flawed as some of the other consoles and then just pay to replace them out of pocket. But then again, I'd rather not pay whatever price premium that would require.

hedwards said:
gilesjuk said:

It's somewhat unfortunate that Craig can't really afford to release something as flawed as some of the other consoles and then just pay to replace them out of pocket. But then again, I'd rather not pay whatever price premium that would require.

Although it's always good to release something which is perfect* (I mean in that it has no form of inherent hardware problems) and then worry about adding things to it software wise in future because you can update Software whenever you like, quite easily. Replacing physical hardware would be a nightmare for anyone involved; the customer for having defective hardware and having to wait for replacements, the supplier having to then try and correct these issues on all new and existing boards, and get new ones out at cost.

If the company can't afford to release a defective product then you know they are going to be investing a lot of time where it really matters and that the product will be physically sound* (assuming the company cares that it ever has any future customers or a reputation).

I think the Pandora project was started so that we could have the most powerful handheld gaming device. It was unfortunate that delays to Pandora has allowed other devices with OMAP3 come to the market before it. Even if the team starts developing Pandora2 now, It may take another 2 years. That's still plenty of time for people to play with the Pandora. given the aount of effort they put in to make the 1st batch perfect, I doubt that they need to put much effort in the second or future batches.

VRAndy said:
If not : No, my interest in Pandora is still pretty tight! Haha? Get it? Hilarious. It's a spelling joke!
Hey! Did a moderator edit the subject to ruin my joke? :angry: This was pure brilliance.

I wouldn't say that I've lost interest, however my interest has cooled somewhat. I just realized that it's been about a year since I started following this project closely, but for me a lot has changed in the past few months. Internet has been blocked at work, cutting me off from my primary forum browsing time, the economy forced me to take my refund, at least for the time being, and I've been gaming a lot less lately, due to a lack of time more than anything.

I'll probably still get one when they're available, but my days of checking the forums every day are pretty much over. I still do look at the unofficial blog every week or two, however.

My interest in the Pandora has not waned. It still does what I expected it would do when I ordered it and will still do it when I get it.

All these people that are concerned that it's no longer unique, because there are now similar OMAP powered (certainly not with as many features) products need to really consider why they ordered it in the first place.

Certainly there are those that ordered it because they wanted something "cool", "new" or "unique", but a lot of us are just as excited about the functionality of the thing most and not as some linux geek status icon.

I'll patiently wait until it comes.

michaeljustman said:
My interest in the Pandora has not waned. It still does what I expected it would do when I ordered it and will still do it when I get it.

All these people that are concerned that it's no longer unique, because there are now similar OMAP powered (certainly not with as many features) products need to really consider why they ordered it in the first place.

Certainly there are those that ordered it because they wanted something "cool", "new" or "unique", but a lot of us are just as excited about the functionality of the thing most and not as some linux geek status icon.

Here here, I could not agree with you more.

Trooper

trooper said:
michaeljustman said:

+1

Its similar thoughts that get me over any frustration I may feel from to time to time. As some have commented what does being 'obsolete' or 'outdated' matter if you're going to play OLD games on it. I. for one, have always been interested in the Pandora for ALL it can do. For something so portable to switch from toy to a useful tool so easily is fantastic.

Well for me it's, the more time passes the more I want that darn thing.
I want to play around with it now, I want to to replace my Archos 605 (which I am happy with, but it still is full of bugs and closed -.- ), I want to show off with it, I want, I want...

I can understand how people lose interest, because it takes a long time. But hey this thing is developed by a hand full of persons and not by 10.000 people working for a company with a fruit as logo.
Good things just take their time and imo there is no other device on the market yet which offers the same possibilities or is as open as the Pandora will be.

I wonder if there is some confusion as to losing interest in Pandora or losing faith in Craig to finish Pandora. Pandora was designed to grow over several years. It was never built for the sole purpose to be outdated and traded in for the next year's generation model like many brand names. Even though it may not carry the "most powerful handheld" title anymore it will still offer gaming and media that the big name consoles won't. That still hasn't changed. Whether Craig can deliver the goods is another matter.

criag will finish pandora whether it kills him or not... or the mob do....
i'm glad pandora has plans the fact theyre being transparent enough to mention this before they release the first pandora is nice but underwhelming as were still waiting to get our teeth into the first. one step at a time boys ;) imo its still the worlds best/most powerful "gaming sentric(sp?) controlled" handeld to date. and i don't think there will be any time soon. iphone has no buttons for a start... making it instantly suck for streetfighter!

Back