Anyone Else Lost Interest?

Wookiee said:
Its similar thoughts that get me over any frustration I may feel from to time to time. As some have commented what does being 'obsolete' or 'outdated' matter if you're going to play OLD games on it. I. for one, have always been interested in the Pandora for ALL it can do. For something so portable to switch from toy to a useful tool so easily is fantastic.

The only logic I can see behind this is that something else comes out that can run those emulators, but is also powerful enough to run Emulators that the Pandora isn't strong enough to run. Basically added compatibility through more powerful hardware.

Aside from that though, I'm curious about how the overclocking malarky will pan out. What sort of "minimum" overclocks are we looking at here?

Last edited by a moderator:
trooper said:
@ Enverex,

Oi, I got misquoted. :rolleyes:

Trooper

You're a mod, why don't you just edit his post and fix the mis-quote?

@ Vorporeal

Oh, I didn`t realise that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I`m not really that bothered about the mis-quote, Just thought i`d point it out so others
would take more care whilst editing their posts.

Nothing gained by me editing their posts, If i don`t point out their mistakes.

Trooper

i haven't lost interest as my intentions for the pandora do not have a set deadline of any sort - i'm planning to use that device for years on.

to soften the itch, though, i got myself a clearance efika, and now i'm as happy a camper as one can be.

trooper said:
@ Vorporeal

Oh, I didn`t realise that. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I`m not really that bothered about the mis-quote, Just thought i`d point it out so others
would take more care whilst editing their posts.

Nothing gained by me editing their posts, If i don`t point out their mistakes.

Trooper

True. I know that you knew that the option was available, you just might not have thought to do it. I feel like the mis-quote was an accident though - it looks like a end-quote tag was missing.

Vorporeal said:
I feel like the mis-quote was an accident though - it looks like a end-quote tag was missing.

FWIW it was due to an extraneous quote begin tag in Wookiee's post.

fiori_musicali said:
Vorporeal said:
I feel like the mis-quote was an accident though - it looks like a end-quote tag was missing.

FWIW it was due to an extraneous quote begin tag in Wookiee's post.

Sorry

Looks like I was a right nugget there :blush:

I'm still waiting. Old promises of Doom3 keep me hanging on :)

Quake 3 seems to run pretty good too. Hang in there!

Wookiee said:
There is already A LOT of games and apps for the Pandora already. An excellent start.

Is it?

I don't see a lot of Pandora software in the file archive.

b_o_b said:
Wookiee said:
There is already A LOT of games and apps for the Pandora already. An excellent start.

Is it?

Just because you can't have them, does not mean they do not exist.

We've kinda been going off this mantra for a while, you should of noticed.

b_o_b said:
Wookiee said:

Is it?

I think most Devs are waiting for the Pandora to be closer to release to start uploading their projects to the file archive. Why fill up the archive with multiple working versions when they still have Two Months™ to work on their project?

I am rather disappointed with the progress of the Pandora,originally had a pre-order but didn't reorder
and as i visit the forum once more i see a complete lack of updates and test videos even tho Craig
seems to have time on his hands spending all night editing unposted Pandora videos and falling from
the rooftops.Also the fact there are some very nice devices on the market using atom CPU and boasting 6-9
hours battery life on full load with double the memory and faster CPU/GPU's its no wonder i have
lost interest and patience with open Pandora team.

The Pandora is taking far too long to see the light of day and there's quite a few small Asian companies
that can give you such a device within a few months so it seems lol, competition is too high for this
type of device,the Viliv s5 and Umid M1 are very nice devices capable of running windows XP or windows7
with ease and are versatile enough to give you exactly what you need,both can be modded to include game
controls if you so require and then there's the fact these devices and many more in the near future are
using the x86 architecture Atom at 1.6ghz and up with 6/9 hours depending on your clock speed setting.

I really do wish the Openpandora team all the best of luck,but i do think the Pandora is now too late
and dare to say before it has even been finished (old and Un'stylish looking) sure it has Game controls
but thats it,sure its got an Open community but for how long ?

This is my thoughts and feelings on the matter,not looking for an argument or anything.

Paddy

a few problems with your argument:

paddy said:
I am rather disappointed with the progress of the Pandora,originally had a pre-order but didn't reorder
and as i visit the forum once more i see a complete lack of updates and test videos even tho Craig
seems to have time on his hands spending all night editing unposted Pandora videos and falling from
the rooftops.
i believe that craig can't do anything right now but wait for the completion of the first test run of boards and wait for the final mould to be finished. don't complain about no videos, it doesn't help, don't assume you know what craig does.

paddy said:
Also the fact there are some very nice devices on the market using atom CPU and boasting 6-9
hours battery life on full load with double the memory and faster CPU/GPU's its no wonder i have
lost interest and patience with open Pandora team.
sure there are other devices on the market with similar CPU and GPU, but none of them have adequate gaming controls, all that yadda yadda. not to mention the pandora is open-source too

paddy said:
The Pandora is taking far too long to see the light of day and there's quite a few small Asian companies
that can give you such a device within a few months so it seems lol,
a few asian companies that can give you such a device in a few months? i'm sorry, but most of those are just shameless rip offs or generic devices. the pandora is a lot more complex than you seem to think, and there are only a few people working on it, what did you expect?

paddy said:
competition is too high for this type of device,the Viliv s5 and Umid M1 are very nice devices capable of running windows XP or windows7
with ease and are versatile enough to give you exactly what you need,both can be modded to include game
controls if you so require and then there's the fact these devices and many more in the near future are
using the x86 architecture Atom at 1.6ghz and up with 6/9 hours depending on your clock speed setting.
there is absolutely no competition for this device. even if it was possible for them to get 6-9 hours of battery life (which i find unlikely), the machine would still get very hot due to the x86 architecture. and besides, one of the points of the pandora is that it boasts ARM architecture. i also doubt many hardware mods will be able to reach the quality of the gaming controls on the pandora.

paddy said:
(old and Un'stylish looking)
if the pandora being "unstylish" bothers you, that's too bad.

paddy said:
I really do wish the Openpandora team all the best of luck,but i do think the Pandora is now too late
as many people have stated before, they will be using their pandora to emulate older consoles and computers, so it can't be too old. what's it too late for anyways? there are no handheld gaming consoles as powerful as the pandora yet.

paddy said:
and dare to say before it has even been finished sure it has Game controls
but thats it,
the gaming controls are a big deal, the team is making sure the d-pad and analog nubs and such are perfect. the quality of the the controls is very important (consider the iphone, for example). that's not it though. there are many other unique features which i am too lazy to list, if you were truly interested in the device you'll know already.

paddy said:
sure its got an Open community but for how long ?
it has a open community for how long? well, they've been around for many years, i doubt they're going to leave as the pandora is a completely open unique device that is unrivaled.

of course, you're allowed to think what you want and reorder or not at your will.

Where are these fabled "other devices" of which a few people speak?

lulzfish said:
They're small netbooks.

The Pandora is pocket-sized, apparently this isn't a feature for some people.

Naturists.

Asmo said:
lulzfish said:
They're small netbooks.

The Pandora is pocket-sized, apparently this isn't a feature for some people.

Naturists.

You're forgetting "nature's pocket", for which being smaller than a Netbook most definitely becomes a feature.

Back