Anyone Else Had A Bad Play-asia Experience?

Fox_

Still Fresh
I ordered my gp2x on the the 3rd for the gp2x console, power supply and a hard case. All 3 items were listed as shipping inside 24hrs. I checked the progress on the order and was informed that the hard case was out of stock.

Fine, I said that I would be happy for it to be shipped at a later date. Instead of doing that, they took the console and powersupply, put them in someone elses order and put my order on hold. Its listed on the site that it should be sent before the 10th, but as they said, they really dont know when the cases will come in!!

I went with them because they were the best deal, If I bought locally I would have paid the same amount minus the case and power supply.
Now, I cannot take the item to 2 venues I have been invited to, I have lost business because of play-asia.

Be warned, cheap isnt always the best. Frankly, I am fuming and really disappointed in play-asia. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Wow, thats bad. :(

I had an ok experience with them though. The shipping was fast (it damn well better be for $20).

Did they actually tell you in an e-mail that they specifically took the GP2X and power supply that were reserved for your order and placed it in another order?

I doubt you'll get people to start ordering from places other than Play-Asia all of a sudden. PA has an outstanding history of being a reputable and great place to order products such as the GP2X. With the huge amount of orders they process, it's only natural that some will fall in between the cracks and things like this will happen. I'm sorry to hear your experience didn't go as well as expected.

Thats why I was so disappointed. They have quite a customer base.

I would have paid any extra shipping (within reason) for the case to be shipped later on. If you have a look, they have changed the shipping times to 1-5 days for the console and the case and the power supply from 1-2 weeks. If a reasonable time passes and they do not send the console, I will cancel the order and no more of my orders will go via play-asia.

For a company their size, this experience has been abysmal.

Fox_ said:
Fine, I said that I would be happy for it to be shipped at a later date. Instead of doing that, they took the console and power supply, put them in someone else's order and put my order on hold. Its listed on the site that it should be sent before the 10th, but as they said, they really don't know when the cases will come in!!
Actually, I think that is somewhat reasonable. You said that you wanted them to ship it at a later date when they had the case. I'm guessing they just wanted to ship the whole order at once. It didn't seem that they were out of stock with the GP2Xs and power supplies. So what if they sold yours to somebody else? :) As long as you get your stuff within a reasonable amount of time from when they restock, then they did their job.

Regardless, if you feel that Play-Asia is terrible, then I guess you just shouldn't go there anymore. It's also unfortunate that you lost business...

Last edited by a moderator:
rememberthe8bit said:
Fox_ posted on Jul 5 2007 at 01:07 AM said:
Fine, I said that I would be happy for it to be shipped at a later date. Instead of doing that, they took the console and power supply, put them in someone else's order and put my order on hold. Its listed on the site that it should be sent before the 10th, but as they said, they really don't know when the cases will come in!!

What I asked them was if I could have the case shipped at a later date, and receive the other goods immediately, as its very likely now that I have lost a portion of a very important market. I have been presented with an option to show the gp2x off at a certain venue, and I wont get this chance again..

Be warned, cheap isnt always the best.

So true, it's when things go wrong a really good supplier shines... For instance when my GP2X broke and I sent it back to gp2x.co.uk, they kept me informed every step of the way. Excellent post sales service! But Overclocker's couldn't give a shit... You get what you pay for! :D

I've not had a problem with Play-Asia. I ordered some SNES carts, paid and they came - simple as that.

Blah said:
I had an ok experience with them though. The shipping was fast (it damn well better be for $20).
:eek: 20 US? From Hong Kong to Oregon? In the UK you'd pay twice that for someone to throw a 2X from Newcastle to Redcar!

Fox_ said:
Thats why I was so disappointed. They have quite a customer base.

I would have paid any extra shipping (within reason) for the case to be shipped later on. If you have a look, they have changed the shipping times to 1-5 days for the console and the case and the power supply from 1-2 weeks. If a reasonable time passes and they do not send the console, I will cancel the order and no more of my orders will go via play-asia.

For a company their size, this experience has been abysmal.
Azure said:
Did they actually tell you in an e-mail that they specifically took the GP2X and power supply that were reserved for your order and placed it in another order?
You didn't answer this.

Play-Asia used to give you the option of either grouping your order together to ship all items at once, or shipping items separately as they become available. Eventually they dropped the latter service, so you'd have to play the orders separately for them to ship each item when it becomes available. I do not see anything horribly wrong (at least not to the extent that you seem to be making this event to be) with Play-Asia not shipping the parts of your order that were in stock (they did not specifically tell you that they could ship the available items now, did they? Just because you're okay with it and because you asked them doesn't mean that they have or should do it). It'd be a nice service, yes (I particularly like this service, so sometimes its absence turns me off from buying from Play-Asia when half of the items I want have a 5-15 day wait time, while the others ship in 24 hours; but I don't expect them to offer this service to me just because I tell them to in an e-mail), but from your post it seems that all you did was TELL them to ship the available items now with the assumption that they would do anything you tell them to do to keep you happy.

Mistakes happen, and you can't always expect the availability indicator to always be 100% accurate and up to date (it looks barely a day passed before the availability status went from 24 hours to out of stock, which is reasonable update time to me).

Anyway, I hope this experience doesn't turn you off from the GP2X or this wonderful community :)

Azure said:
Yep. I suspected it after the information on the website changed, then they told me they do not "reserve items". I think that perhaps the people that I emailed were using a pseudonym and just didnt understand. I also used proper polite english in my emails, I didnt "tell" them anything. As the saying goes, you attract more flies with honey than sh!t.

My guess, they simply could not be bothered, hopefully this isnt a shift away from better business practices because they can afford to lose some customers.

:angry2: :angry: :angry2: :angry: :angry2: :angry: :angry2: :angry: :angry2: :angry:

THOSE A$$HOLES WANT ANOTHER 2 WEEKS. USELESS.

No wonder they are cheap, they have to keep their clients somehow. I just asked them is they have the gp2x's in stock, if not, cancel my order.

These morons are costing me money now.. Poor business practices coupled with inept staff.. great combination.

I think this is the reaction of somebody who isn't willing to wait for stuff he ordered to come in stock... be patient or go elsewhere, it's as simple as that!

Back