Any Devs With Free Time? Opensnes9Xgp Needs Fixed.

jmetal88

Erm.... Woohoo!
Website
mikesweb.exofire.net
I'm not sure why I never noticed this back when it came out, but SRAM saves do not load in OpenSNES9xGP. They do save (I've seen the files the emulator creates), but they do not load when ROM dumps are loaded, making the save files pretty useless.

There is source code for OpenSNES9xGP on the archive here, but I don't know enough about what I'm looking for or what I need to do to be able to fix this:

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp32.cgi?0,0,0,0,46,912

Does anybody want to help? I messaged Reesy, since he did the last update, but he doesn't have enough free time to do anything with it. :(

I know you can work around this by using save states, but it just feels better to me to be playing the games as was originally intended, with SRAM saves.

For now, I'm using the old closed source SNES9xGP, hex edited for some massive overclocking to compensate for the slow speeds due to the inclusion of proper transparency support. I still have to play it with sound off to get things looking full speed, though.

Well guys, I figured it out myself. The line that loaded SRAM files was simply commented out!

I've uploaded the fixed binary to my site here:
http://mkgraham.co.cc/gp32.html"]http://mkgraham.co.cc/gp32.html[/URL]

I have a post in the news section pending.
smile.gif

EDIT: .CO.CC domains apparently don't exist anymore. My site is still up on AwardSpace, but you can't get to it through the domain. I'm working on a solution.

EDIT 2: I got a new free domain through my hosting company.  All files are now available in relevant sections at:
http://www.mkgraham.dx.am

Last edited by a moderator:
excuse me, but why you still support a console dated 2001? :(
why don't make something for the actual, caanoo for example? :)

kayuz said:

Why not? Somebody has to support the poor old GP32.

I don't have a Caanoo. I did update OpenJazz for the Wiz recently, though.

kayuz said:
Because some of us were around when the gp32 came out and still use it.

You know you could make the same argument for why do people make emulators for old hardware ;) .

Because some of us were around when the gp32 came out and still use it.

You know you could make the same argument for why do people make emulators for old hardware.
sorry, I did not want to offend, and I admire you for your devotion to the old GP32 ;)

Why not? Somebody has to support the poor old GP32.

I don't have a Caanoo. I did update OpenJazz for the Wiz recently, though.
if i can have a bit more money surely I will give you a CAANOO ;) if you want,naturraly

Haha, I don't think you'd get your money's worth out of getting me a Caanoo. I'm not a 'real' coder, all I've done so far is correct some simple mistakes in other people's code that were overlooked for some reason.

I guess the GP32x mods don't think that finally releasing OpenSNES9xGP with SRAM loading is news-worthy. <_<

Oh well, at least it didn't take too much effort, excluding finding and setting up ARM ADS.

skeezix said:
Nice ;)

I'd use kmy beloved gp32, but every time I insert an SMC, it kills it :(

jeff

That sucks, dude. :(

It's for similar situations that I want to keep a spare parts unit around for myself...

You should keep an eye out on ebay, though. GP32s don't show up too often, but both of my current units (FLUs) I found within the past couple of years for around $30 apiece.

As someone whose done PDA and mobile dev for >10 years, I've decided I have Too Many Gizmos. Havbing a big mountain of them was cool for a long time, but now I just let my kid play with them until they 'expire' ;)

So I have a good condition BLU, but as it easts anything that goes near it.. I keep it for the 'some day, if I want to see the software I wrote for it, maybe I can get it to work again..".

I do bust out the PSP frequently .. my daughter loves a bunch of games on it (Star Wars Lego!), and its an excellent video player when travelling -- if you smash it or lose it or its stolen, who cares, easily replaced! With a 16GB memstick, you can store a lot of stuff, and using modded firmware of corse..

I recently pulled out gp2x F100 (also have F200 and so on), and I still like it; goofy fluttery screen and the goofy joystick, but still an all around good machine; the F200 had some better, and that awful controller. Wiz too small. Caanoo pretty good. But I'll always like the GP2x :)

Can't bear to dig out Turbo Grafx handheld.. not enough batteries in the world for that beast, and screen tech for so long ago just can't compare; Atari Lynx.. unviewable anymore. Hell, even GBA with lighting is terrible to llook at, and thats not that long ago..

jeffnostalgia

Back