Any Anime/Manga aficionados here..?

France has a big comic culture as well and if a manga is translated and published in europe, it is usually first or only in france.

I even got a french manga/comic of Franz Kafkas "Die Verwandlung" (german) in my bookshelf.

There are many similarities between middle europe and japan, it is astonishing, also regarding martial arts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really ? Never would've guessed , someday I'll travel the world and learn .

/>
You want french anime series? Try that one from 1985 :

:p
No officer , I don't recall taking acid then talking to my sister for half an hour ...

The ones I mentioned as crap are exactly the ones, that get streamed in german television...

Well, at least Hellsing and Vision of Escaflowne were sended, Neon Genesis Evangelion 15 years ago thursdays at 00:00 o' clock.
I watched EVA back then, it was never shown again. I remember the reason was, VOX wasn't even allowed to show EVA on TV, so it was an illegal broadcast, funny story. :D However, I still prefer Dragonball and One Piece, no matter what people say. I just hate all these serious Animes that all have storys heavy as led, depressing and guaranteed without happy end. The "usual" "everyone will die at the end" stuff that brings big drama but doesn't change anything through the whole story.  :rolleyes:

I have real depressions, I just don't need more than I already have. I like the more funny, "light"  Animes, at least there are also more than enough.

Let's not forget the tons of collaboration animes between French and Japanese... for one, Remi Sans Famille :
Yes, we also had such stuff in germany, many popular Cartoons were actualy Animes (german/austrian/japanese Co. Productions) and most of the audience never knew about that. :D  "Wickie" (which was by the way one major influence for Eiichirō Oda's One Piece ) , "Heidi", "Biene Maja", were pretty popular in the late 70's/early 80's.But nothing was able to beat Captain Future. :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UQ8H2csE9bU?feature=oembed

Oh, so much memories in this thread.

Captain Future ^^

Captain Planet!

Save your planet kids, fight oil companies and co.

Funny enough, that it actually is american:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Planet_and_the_Planeteers

https://www.youtube.com/embed/foPeMB-kZ7s?feature=oembed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZmpjzMWR7Q

BTW:
colossus-captain-planet.gif

Regarding Manga:

Read some from Jirō Taniguchi, they are great.

PS: One Piece, Naruto, Dragonball Z/GT (the original series from the 80s was nice though), Bleach, etc... is crap.

Full Metal Alchemist is just shounen as well, but at least not so extremely bad, although I just saw the old version completely.

There is so much great anime- and manga stuff from Japan, that I do not understand, why people watch these above.
If we're talking about anime adaptations here they often suffer from their own problems.. Especially for a really long running series that's meant to go on indefinitely, there's a serious issue with pacing it vs the manga. Rarely do they start the anime only after the manga finished or nearly finished and anime is naturally has more content per week than manga (worse if the manga is monthly). So it the anime gets loaded down with filler, often awful, or really slow pacing. I liked the Dragonball manga when I read it in highschool, all of it including the end - I don't think anything was much better about the "original" part, although it was different - but the anime got progressively worse and worse until it was totally awful. The less said about Dragonball GT the better. Same thing with Naruto, I dropped that anime hard but the manga is still fine by my standards.

The two FMA animes were good because the first one did its own thing rather than try to keep up with the manga (inevitable since it was only slated for ~52 eps) and the second one was scheduled to coincide with the manga's completion and was able to have good pacing because of it. The new HxH anime is generally okay too - I have some complaints and overall I tend to like the old one more, but at least it doesn't have serious pacing problems because there's been enough manga content.

I have no idea what SNK will do - there's just enough manga material for the slated 26 episodes. After that we could see an anime-only ending or a cliffhanger where a sequel series could take years before enough material's ready.

Most of the stuff I read would be considered seinen rather than shounen (there's a couple things that would be considered jousei as well) but I don't really let the labels bother me that much if the manga is good.. Hunter X Hunter is one of my favorites and that's considered shounen (and is in WSJ and everything) but I don't consider it "just a shounen" at all. These are manga that have kept the story going for over 10 years, some people have been reading it for that long and if you do it right something like this can have a lot to offer and not just for little kids who are younger than the manga itself is.

But you know, to each their own - there's tons of popular/very highly acclaimed anime and manga I personally find to be bullshit. By my tastes Eva isn't worth my time, Legend of Galactic Heroes is barely above average, Mushishi is a total snorefest, and Serial Experiments Lain is ridiculous. And for that matter I feel this way about western movies people like to call "best ever" like The Godfather (and I watch a lot of movies and like a lot of popular stuff so I'm not just anti-popular). A lot of people will criticize you for liking what you do or disliking what they do but they're not even worth thinking about.

Back