Any Anime/Manga aficionados here..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've recently been watching a friends collection of Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack On Titan) and enjoying it immensely.

I only know the obvious ones.. Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Spirited Away, Howl's Castle, Ninja Scroll, Fist Of The North Star etc..

Could people suggest some other good stuff worth tracking down, don't mind if they are TV series or films.

Last edited by a moderator:
I only know the usual suspects. I saw an episode of full metal alchemist though and was pleasantly surprised. It seems well thought out and it is well reviewed.

Oh and golgo thirteen and the sequel and vampire hunter D, i think its bloodlines the second movie thats cool.

Gunslinger Girls, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Gurenn Lagann, Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, …

Ergo Proxy…

Crest of the Stars…

- Trying to remember more of the anime I was used to watch -

EDIT:

Darker than Black

Death Note

Eureka Seven

Mushishi

Quite old but nice : Lodoss Wars, Escaflowne

EDIT:

Completely crazy : Excel Saga

Code Geass

One Piece.  B)

Sadly, I've reached Episode 600 over OnePiece Tube, it's up to date. That means no longer watching 3+ Episodes a day like when I've started to watch from Episode ~200.  :D

One Piece ran in germany pretty successful, but only the first 400 Episodes were translated, and they were messed up with alot of cuts because stupid TV thought it is a kids series. So I gave up the show years ago on TV and rewatched most of it uncut on the web years later and then continued till the recent japanese episodes (after 200 Episodes I still can't stand Luffys original voice   :wacko:   ). Only the japanese Manga is more advanced in the story.

I used to watch them more in the early 90's, not really seen much new stuff.

I do have a couple of old favs, some of the first ones I watched so really caught my attention. Still, I think these are good as films in there own right and nicely animated.

Check them out

Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend

overfiend.jpg

Wicked City

wcrz6.jpg

Love Hina, Onegai Teacher, Hellsing... um Bleach was good but it has a lot of filler at times and also the ending was a bit crap...

Hmmm a lot of good suggestions here too so I won't repeat those... um... Neon Genesis Evangelion is awesome albeit a bit of a headfuck.

Melancholy of Haruhi Suzamuya(spelling?)

Shakugan no Shana

And there's probably others but those are what roll off the tongue...

Take as seriously as you want:

-Martian Successor Nadesico (watch the dub)

More serious:

-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

-Area 88

-Guyver: The Biobooster Armor

Less serious:

-You're Under Arrest, AnimEigo Season 1 (watch the dub, technically out of print) (Later seasons aren't bad but drift)

-Those who Hunt Elves (Watch the dub)

Might want to look at:

-Orphen, Season 1 (Season 2 drifts)

-Gundam 0080

-Nuku Nuku Dash & OVA

-Macross/Robotech (Season 1)

-TekkaMan Blade

-New Cutey Honey

-Dirty Pair

-Birdy the Mighty (Decode or Original OVA)

-Slayers

I have been following attack on titan too, its starting to annoy me though. I hate it when anime characters stop dead in the middle of an action sequence to have a big think about what is going on and then have a long drawn out flashback scene and before you know it the episode is over....

I followed bleach for a long time until it became a power levelling contest and got over that and the filler arcs...

Besides the other ones mentioned in this thread Samurai Champloo is amazing and is by the same guy that did cowboy bebop.

Recently Berserk was redone into three movies but the fansubs on the third one are pants so far.

Although it isnt actually Japanese anime, Avatar the last airbender is incredible if you watch it from start to finish. (the animated series, not the awful movie.)

I liked the CGI stuff like Vexille and Appleseed also like Cowboy Bebop and Xenosaga.

Damn, I was half expecting Exo and notaz to show their favourites here, but no luck. (May be I should start a topic asking people about their prefered brand of beer?)

I would recommand puella magi madoka magica.

Really deep, and well writen. Not suitable for kids under the age of 15, of cause.

Lots of anime I've enjoyed have been mentioned by others.

I think the list is already quite large, you have some watching to do, now xD

Bokurano
Monster
Berserk
Uchuu kyoudai
Kimi ni todoke

EDIT: Add Death Note to that.

And one piece is fucking commercial crap. I had to say it.

Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend
The Tentacle Level is high in this one.   :D  But the violence also is. 

Ouch, you stabbed a knife in my heart, it hurts!  :(   And basicly everything is "commercial", but not much is as fun and interesting like One Piece. There is a reason why it is so successful, even more than Dragonball ever was. ;)  I really like the story, the characters and the humor. Oda has a talent to create interesting and often strange and weird characters. ^^ 

I also like other Anime, Hellsing for example, also weird and crazy characters, I recommend Hellsing Ultimate. It's better and closer to the comics than the older Anime Series. Very violent, but fits into it. But I prefer more funny Animes, not much the violent ones. Same for everything Hentai releated by the way. Make Love, not war.  :rolleyes:

No, Beyblade and all other toy/card based derivatives are commercial crap. :p One Piece is just a sell-out success, which should actually attest to it's quality (not always true, but can sometimes work as a benchmark).

Remember, if you catch yourself saying "it's not as good since it became popular" you may be a hipster and I will mock you mercilessly. ;)

I can't stand One-Piece because they air the french dubbed version… acting is atrocious, voices are ridiculous…

There are veeeery few anime that have a nice french dubbed version, around here all animated cartoons tend to be considered as child's entertainment.

(that's why french people have the worst dubbed Hokuto No Ken series)

I enjoyed Planetes a lot, SciFi with a lot of thought put into it.
Cowboy Bebop must be my favourite series. Love it.
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is my second favourite.
Maid Guy is funny Ecchi stuff.
Excel Saga is hilarious indeed, good parody.
Another obvious series/OVA is Neon Genesis Evangelion, if you like Mecha.
Also Brake Blade/Broken Blade

Aachi and Ssipak is quite a funny movie.

Back