Any Anime/Manga aficionados here..?

And one piece is fucking commercial crap. I had to say it.
No, Beyblade and all other toy/card based derivatives are commercial crap. :p
One Piece is just a sell-out success, which should actually attest to it's quality (not always true, but can sometimes work as a benchmark).

Remember, if you catch yourself saying "it's not as good since it became popular" you may be a hipster and I will mock you mercilessly. ;)
The story is uninteresting, the drawing is awful (like like cheap Mcfarlane or something), never liked it and the fact that it's a commercial success in Japan says a lot (Japanese tend to like a lot of very crappy stuff).

And in case you didn't know the audience of one piece is Japan is the 7 years old category.

I can't stand One-Piece because they air the french dubbed version… acting is atrocious, voices are ridiculous…

There are veeeery few anime that have a nice french dubbed version, around here all animated cartoons tend to be considered as child's entertainment.

(that's why french people have the worst dubbed Hokuto No Ken series)
Hokuto no Ken in french is excellent, on the contrary ! It's all "second degre!". The dubbers had carte blanche to do what they want and that's why you get "hokuto de cuisine" and stupid expressions like that! It's become a classic just for the dubs!

Urotsukidoji - Legend of the Overfiend
The Tentacle Level is high in this one.   :D  But the violence also is. 

And one piece is fucking commercial crap. I had to say it.
Ouch, you stabbed a knife in my heart, it hurts!  :(   And basicly everything is "commercial", but not much is as fun and interesting like One Piece. There is a reason why it is so successful, even more than Dragonball ever was. ;)  I really like the story, the characters and the humor. Oda has a talent to create interesting and often strange and weird characters. ^^ 

I also like other Anime, Hellsing for example, also weird and crazy characters, I recommend Hellsing Ultimate. It's better and closer to the comics than the older Anime Series. Very violent, but fits into it. But I prefer more funny Animes, not much the violent ones. Same for everything Hentai releated by the way. Make Love, not war.  :rolleyes:
No, not everything is commercial, at least not in the way One Piece is. They put one piece everywhere on all kind of crappy goods you can think of, it's just a parasite to society, a fucking virus. Even they didn't do that for DBZ at the time.

It's just awful, I have no other word for it.

Let me add to the list of stuff to watch/read:

Please Save My Earth (excellent series of OAV and manga)

20th century boys (not my favorite but nonetheless interesting)

Master Keaton

GanMu (also known as Gunnm or Battle Angel Alita in the US) -> Manga only, the OAV was too short.

Patlabor was fun

GTO (manga)

GOlden Boy (manga and series, both are hilarious)

Rookies (the subject is so-so but the way it's written is interesting and characters are very colorful).

Love Hina

and the earlier works of Otomo (creator of Akira) : there's lots of good stuff he made before Akira, mostly short stories.

There's more but I need to go to a library to check what I missed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't stand One-Piece because they air the french dubbed version… acting is atrocious, voices are ridiculous…

There are veeeery few anime that have a nice french dubbed version, around here all animated cartoons tend to be considered as child's entertainment.

(that's why french people have the worst dubbed Hokuto No Ken series)
The german dubbed version was not bad, I liked the voices, very talented and well known voice actors. I also liked the first german Intro Song, it was the only one that was not converted from existing OP openings, even if it was not as good as "We Are". All other Songs were just the japanese ones with german text.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/9iSPOq9PCqk?feature=oembedI guess Mercandising was not that popular in old Dragonball times. Today, it seems far more developed, One Piece has alot of Videogames ( ok, DB also had some) and other things, not played anyone but I've heared the games are OK. Maybe it is also the Pirate setting where you can squeeze out more Merchandise stuff than the Dragonball setting.
P.S.: does somebody here know "Captain Future"? ^^

Best manga i have ever read is Jojo's Bizarre Adventures. I'll never forget the final battle between Dio Brando and Jotaro Kujo, simply awesome!

I've recently been watching a friends collection of Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack On Titan) and enjoying it immensely.

I only know the obvious ones.. Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Spirited Away, Howl's Castle, Ninja Scroll, Fist Of The North Star etc..

Could people suggest some other good stuff worth tracking down, don't mind if they are TV series or films.
Movies:

Perfect Blue

Paprika

Grave of the Fireflies

The Place promised in our early days

5 centimeters per second

Roujin Z

Tokyo Godfathers

Memories

Series:

Death Note

Ergo Proxy

Elfenlied

Mushishi

Monster (1995)

Tokyo Magnitude 8.0

Guardian of the Sacred Spirit

Ga-Rei Zero

Hakaba Kitarou

Shigofumi

Blood+

Neon Genesis Evangelion (old version)

I've got a huge collection but these are some of the best, although I am sure to have forgotten some important ones.

I like DBZ Abridged by TeamFourStar. It is a cut down, funny voiceover of DragonBallZ. You will be ROFL'ing for real with this one!

Initial D is fun, car racing and the soundtrack is superb (if you like eurobeat).

All stuff made by Studio Ghibli (mononoke hime, etc)

Steamboy (movie by Otomo, also mentioned above, a true master). The visuals are incredible... painted by hand and such...

Scrapped Princess (if you like fantasy, has a good storyline where you puzzle what is going on)

Rumic Theatre (if you like Ranma and InuYasha, very good short stories)

Fruits Basket (get a tissue.... no not for THAT! The story is sad... but comical too)

KOR (Kimagure Orange Road, oldie but fun)

Twin Spika (I like the slow pacing, and the layers of story)

Hanaukyo Maids (the first is very funny. Harem anime)

Infinite Ryvius (space opera with kids make their own society theme... boring if you are not into sociology)

Manga:

Hana Yori Dango.

Anything from Rumiko Takahashi (try http://www.anymanga.com/maison-ikkoku/) or Katsura (try DNA² or http://www.anymanga.com/i-s/)

or https://www.goodreads.com/genres/manga

there is much more but... lazy... (looking right to my bookcase...)

Humanity has declined (sweet apocalypse)

Player Killers, etc...

Damn, I had forgot Hanaukyo Maid… it was hilarious!

Steamboy was a really good movie.

It'd take me forever to list all manga I liked and I'm sure I'd forget some but some by authors..

Togashi Yoshihiro: Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Level E

Fukumoto Nobuyuki: Gambling Emperor Legend Zero, Kaiji (each arc has a different series name), The Legend of the Strongest Man Kurosawa, Buraiden Gai, Seizon -LifE-

Urasawa Naoki: 20th Century Boys, Billy Bat, Happy! (a lot of people like Monster too, for me it's just okay)

Kitoh Mohiro: Narutaru, Bokurano (Nanuka Mochigatte Masuka and his short stories are okay too)

Yukimura Makoto: Vinland Saga, Planetes

Mori Kouji: Holyland, Suicide Island

Fujisawa Yuki: Metro Survive, Bio-meat Nectar, Region

And some other random manga I feel like mentioning:

7 Seeds

Battle Angel Alita (its real name is Gunnm)

Berserk

Deadman Wonderland

Gantz

Hotel

Houshin Engi

I am a Hero

Kamisama no Iutoori

Kuragehime

Team Medical Dragon

Gokukoku no Brynhildr (if you're familiar with Elfen Lied this is like the mangaka's attempt at a better version of it, IMO)

Liar Game

Parasyte

Welcome to the NHK (although I actually like the anime more)

And if you're interested, here are a couple of webcomics that aren't Japanese but are pretty manga-esque and I highly recommend them:

Tower of God (Korean author)

Flipside (American author)

Actually if you poke around you'll find that there's a very active scene for Korean web-comic manwha (they call them web-toons); it's easier to find stuff that stands out from the sea of generic shounen you find in manga.

I don't really watch that much anime anymore so I won't comment on that.

ekianjo, if it makes you feel better I find One Piece nearly unreadable myself. But I also find Naruto and Bleach to be very readable so I'm not sure my opinion means anything :p (also Dragonball)

Thanks exo for your list.

Gantz was good but its getting a tad boring where the series is right now. They probably should have ended it a while ago.

Gantz in anime was crap because way too slow paced.

And please oh god please never watch the gantz movies. Unless you want to hurt your brain with super poor acting.

I also recommend welcome to nhk.

Gantz actually just ended (not counting some special or something that'll come out). I've only been reading it live for about a year, so the pacing problems didn't bother me much - sometimes things that are excruciating to read weekly or monthly isn't too bad if you blitz it. I can still see why a lot of fans were losing interest, though.

Gantz actually just ended (not counting some special or something that'll come out). 
Ah that's why it was on the cover of Jump or something a few days ago... I didnt follow Gantz for the past few months, lost interest as you said. 

Too bad, because up until mid-way in the series it was pretty good. 

Many thanks to all contributors.. after spending quite a few hours watching various snippets of people's recommendations, I'm now awaiting delivery of a substantial amount of stuff.

Regarding Manga:

Read some from Jirō Taniguchi, they are great.

PS: One Piece, Naruto, Dragonball Z/GT (the original series from the 80s was nice though), Bleach, etc... is crap.

Full Metal Alchemist is just shounen as well, but at least not so extremely bad, although I just saw the old version completely.

There is so much great anime- and manga stuff from Japan, that I do not understand, why people watch these above.

PS: One Piece, Naruto, Dragonball Z/GT (the original series from the 80s was nice though), Bleach, etc... is crap.
There is so much great anime- and manga stuff from Japan, that I do not understand, why people watch these above.
AMEN.

The only thing I would add is there is NOT that much of great anime and manga out there. You don't see what is published in Japan. 95 to 99% of what is published in Japan is just crap, seriously. Re_hash of old ideas, or no ideas at all, or stupid stuff.

In the remaining 1-5% there's good stuff, for sure, but most people outside of Japan cannot even get it. So you end up with anime - manga fans out of Japan who only know the commercial crap because they only see that.

My favourits were:

-Darker than Black;

-Samurai Champloo

-Berzerk

-Ergo Proxi

-Saionara Zetsubou Sensei

-Gantz

They are not like  those retarded pointles animes that are like very very stupid.

This ones will keep you very entertained and dont have like milions of episodes to keep you ocupied for a lifetime, I totally recomend these ones

AMEN.

The only thing I would add is there is NOT that much of great anime and manga out there. You don't see what is published in Japan. 95 to 99% of what is published in Japan is just crap, seriously. Re_hash of old ideas, or no ideas at all, or stupid stuff.

In the remaining 1-5% there's good stuff, for sure, but most people outside of Japan cannot even get it. So you end up with anime - manga fans out of Japan who only know the commercial crap because they only see that.
Yep, I've discovered lots of this awful stuff that you do not see here,

sadly most of my favourite anime did not appear in germany too and people have to rely on fansubs,

which are surprisingly often better than commercial subs.

The ones I mentioned as crap are exactly the ones, that get streamed in german television...

Well, at least Hellsing and Vision of Escaflowne were sended, Neon Genesis Evangelion 15 years ago thursdays at 00:00 o' clock.

Gantz actually just ended (not counting some special or something that'll come out). 
Ah that's why it was on the cover of Jump or something a few days ago... I didnt follow Gantz for the past few months, lost interest as you said. 

Too bad, because up until mid-way in the series it was pretty good. 
Gantz manga finally  ended and  I gotta say that it was awesome one of the best comics out there...

Hetalia axis powers and World Series . I'm bit of a history nerd so I'm Rolfing the whole time . If you're not , then it won't be funny . Quote from Russia's ww2 ( Soviet Union is different ) personification : My name is Russia and my hobby is partioning Poland !

Terrible , but still hilarious with the amount of enthusiasm said . As said earlier Avatar the Last Airbender is good . Not really anime but to the untrained eye ( such as mine ) Teen Titans would seem like it . That's about it . Oh studio Ghibli . As said .

Avatar is not bad (I really like the humour there) and of course it is anime, just not a japanese one. ;)

As many people in Japan and especcially at the Ghibli studios already know, anime is not a japanese invention

but has become a straight trend there and is appreciated more in Japan.

You do not often hear about russian and french anime anymore, although they were the influence on todays japanese anime culture.

Back