Another Render (yeah... I Know...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Esn said:
Chip said:
I sure can. Unfortunately, nobody was interested in logic. :(

But... but... "W" takes too long to pronounce. :(

To be honest, it's not my ideal button layout, but it's not a very important issue for me either, since it's all controlled in software anyway. When playing SNES, I'll just pretend that the layout is SNES-like.

I like logic!

And it wouldn't be called "Double-You" It would be "West" You'd say "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, South, East, Start".

Last edited by a moderator:
Button labels don't matter to me, personally. Hell, I never even look at them.

They could be labeled Curly, Moe, Larry and Shemp and I wouldn't care.

CoMiKe said:
I vote for an unlabeled keyboard!
rc-das-keyboard-ii-2.jpg

Out of curiosity, since I've never attempted it myself, nor have I ever heard it spoken out loud - how do you pronounce the Sony buttons?

I'm leaving my version out on purpose so as not to poison the well.

PlopperZ said:
Triangle, Circle, Ex, Square
Thanks.

My alternative thoughts were Oh and Box for Circle and Square. X was pretty much a given, but I was hopign there was a quicker way to say "triangle" ... "Pyramid" didn't help.

chad78 said:
PlopperZ said:
Triangle, Circle, Ex, Square
Thanks.

My alternative thoughts were Oh and Box for Circle and Square. X was pretty much a given, but I was hopign there was a quicker way to say "triangle" ... "Pyramid" didn't help.

How about delta? It'd be big delta tho.

I suppose if there's still some debate on the button labels, I don't mind NSEW, I sorta like it. It begs me to slap a cardinal points sticker in between the buttons :)

But I suppose a compromise could be hollow triangle point up, down, left and right. That way they'd be interchangeable with the d-pad for lefties.

chad78 said:

-SNIP-

And it wouldn't be called "Double-You" It would be "West" You'd say "Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, South, East, Start".
Isn't it dubya, from your neck of the woods? :lol:

Edit: oops, sorry for "double posting" :p

I was wondering If the CAd files could be shared, so that anyone could enjoy some 3D fun, without the hassle of having to make everything from scratch.

I'd fire up my C4D/Maxwell Render combo, and go for a few try's with it. Trying a few looks and little mods. Colors, patterns for speaker holes, color/materials, case changes, keyboard material/shape changes.

CAD and 3DS, FBX or OBJ would be good formats. I'd personally share anything I'd make, so anyone could build on top of it.

We don't want to give out the cad files due to the fact the chinese clones give us the fear, however I think warmfluffy has some cad files you could use which are not the official ones.

Esn said:
Well you can do like rappers and say Dub instead. Like "Dub-C" instead of W.C.

I for one love the NSEW idea. Maybe then I'll remember my west from my east.

craigix said:
We don't want to give out the cad files due to the fact the chinese clones give us the fear, however I think warmfluffy has some cad files you could use which are not the official ones.
Well any 3D format that would be similar and wouldn't put a threat on you would be fine for me. Just so I have a solid base do do some creative editing. The alternative would be do do it from scratch from screenshots, and since I'm a bit lazy, and don't have much free time, I'm not sure I want to go that way :p .

Plus I'm also already doing an UI study as a concept project for pandora, and I much rather spend my free time on it.

;) thankx for the swift reply, I'm quite eager to see the final hardware version, aswell as a lovely "buy now" button :D.

quartercast said:
Esn said:
I'm not too worried about the d-pad or "sharp edges", since I find Nintendo handhelds comfortable to hold and this can't be any worse than that.
I don't know if I have softie hands, but playing games that require heavy use of shoulder buttons (like pinball) causes the edges of the NDSL to dig in to my palms, and they get quite sore.

If the :pandora1: is larger than the DS, I would be concerned about the ergonomics of grappling predominantly unrounded edges over an extended period of time. I'm not pretending to be an expert, but looking at most handheld devices they seem to be quite rounded in the grip areas.

The corners can be a bit more rounded but there are limits in the keyboard/inside of lid area. If the radii are too big the halves won't close very well leaving a big gap. If you look at all clamshell type devices like DS, laptops, PDAs etc you will notice that area doesn't have big curves for that reason. The clamshell format limits that area some. The other devices that you see are mostly open all of the time (no clamshell)so that doesn't have to be a consideration. I think the front areas can be curved more and will be. Just keep the limitations in mind for future renders.

chad78 said:
Hey, the famous Konami cheat :D

They even did use that in an episode of Drawn Together :D

Last edited:
I care less about what the keys will be labeled (only noobs shove their nose onto a device looking for buttons)

Although I must say many people can't seem to figure it out.

I would even go so far as to have entirely unlabeled buttons :), try playing a game on my device, I dare you.

Has anyone even mentioned the fact that ABXY are already existent in the QWERTY keyboard? Surely this will only confuse, astound, befuddle and amaze the un-wifi'd masses?

Perhaps a color and simple geometric shapes would work. Black + and plain, White + and Plain. Either way I am sick of this whining about it.

I really like the renders, although the first one being in shadow was beneficial to seeing the actual shape of some of those delicate compound curves.

I like the D-pad, it doesn't look too bad. The "hard part" (membrane and 4 buttons, center pivot, one piece d-pad . . . never thought it was that difficult until, well you don't need to hear it again . . .) is done already, and the actual shape of the d-pad doesn't really matter.

nubie said:
I care less about what the keys will be labeled (only noobs shove their nose onto a device looking for buttons)

Although I must say many people can't seem to figure it out.
Watch it! I look at the buttons while using the Classic/GameCube controller on the Wii. (The reason why it is my first experience with such consoles is a long story...) I'd be one of them folks trying to remember which button is for shield before the silly li'l bat slams into my character. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back