Another Openpandora

It may actually be the other way around. This's been around for a while now. Either way tho, no action would be taken either way I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
CODE
Domain Name:OPENPANDORA.ORG
Created On:09-Dec-2007 20:00:13 UTC

blog post from 26 March, 2006
CODE

If you don't know, there is an amazing service from Music Genome Project called Pandora. It plays music based on your personal taste. Just pick some songs or artists and enjoy new music similar to your selection.

[...snip...]

I called the application Open Pandora, and in a matter of days I'll post a link to it.

So they've been using the name on the web somewhat longer (although I presume the name "Pandora" was chosen here before the domain was registered)

Pandora is the radio service but OpenPandora is some adobe air add on for Pandora radio. Hoovering up both identities and causing confusion. maybe! Wouldnt want the OP team to spend anytime or money on this issue though.

It's a pretty common pairing of words. Our guys own the business name Open Pandora Ltd, so they've got nothing to worry about. If anything, the ball would be in their court to pursue it, but I'm sure they've got plenty of more pressing issues to worry about.

There will probably always be some confusion between Pandora the radio service and Pandora the console, but it'll only affect stupid people.

The better action to take is to encourage the other OP team to develop a version that will run on the OP. Pandora music service is very nice and works fine in a browser with linux/ff.

'Gruso' said:
There will probably always be some confusion between Pandora the radio service and Pandora the console, but it'll only affect stupid people.
I used to frequent a mailing list for the Amiga's Picasso graphics card - every so often you'd get a confused mail from someone wanting info for an art homework assignment :D

'Mithrildor' said:
Is the name OpenPandora copyrighted by us? If so: Let Chip go to the judge please, he is a citzien of the USA, so he gets loads of money when he wins and then OpenPandora ltd. is rich.
The OpenPandora software is written by one guy (or a bunch of little guys, who can tell).
If OP ltd sued him, they'd get nothing, waste everybody's time, and make me a very sad Panda. :( :pandora1:

I remember I told a mate about pandora (the console) a while back, and the radio service did indeed confuse him. It comes up first in google searches.

But given the tech literate target audience of the console this shouldn't be an issue. If they wanted to break the casual gamer market it would be, but that would be difficult for more reasons than a similar sounding radio service!

When I told a person about the Pandora, he wouldn't give up the fact that I was stupid and I was talking about the Pandora Battery for the PSP, which he calls "Pandora Hack"....

So I had to show him and he believed me... Although he wasn't that much impressed since this was back in December and there weren't many videos out.... But I guess it wasn't what he was looking for in a handheld

'Mithrildor' said:
Is the name OpenPandora copyrighted by us? If so: Let Chip go to the judge please, he is a citzien of the USA, so he gets loads of money when he wins and then OpenPandora ltd. is rich.
First of all, you can't "copyright" a name, you can only trademark it.

Second, trademarking is very rarely universally granted. Trademarks are only applicable to the specific market your business is engaged in. That's why there can be a Saturn (car company) and a Saturn (game console) and nobody sues anybody. This is especially true when the trademarked terms are pre-existing nouns and not made-up words.

Third, we'd lose. As I said, they're different products entirely, and he's been using the name longer.

Fourth, It would be a really dick move to go sue some guy because his open source music player project happens to have the same name as us. He's not hurting anybody. There is a word for people who go around suing anyone and everyone just to make some easy money, and that word is "asshole".

Everybody is aware of the Pandora music service and the Openpandora player. We have been since day one. This is at least the third thread on the subject. It is not an issue and we won't be changing anything.

How about kindly asking the guy to port it over to OpenPandora(machine) then it would be OpenPandora for OpenPandora. It would be like opening Pandora's box wouldn't it.

This application is awesome! Let's ask them to make an open pandora openpandora port!

'lulzfish' said:
Yo dawg, we heard you like OpenPandoras!
1233117200550.jpg

Back