Beta Announcing GLBasic 3D Platformer "Reggie World" for Pandora

Once tiny thing - when the character moves diagonally, he moves too fast - ie, he moves the same distance horizontally *and* vertically, which looks a bit odd. When moving diagonally, you could scale the speed by * 0.7 to make it a bit more realistic?
I have already fixed this by pointer rotation of the coordinates before making the video:

An angle is generated from current X and Z movement variables then sin / cos of this angle multiplyed with a distance ( always the largest movement value of X and Z ) remake the movement variables which are then applied to the coordinates.

I currently have this commented in, because there is some uneven movement going on lately, just tried to find the source for this...

EDIT: does it use some kind of hardware acceleration ?
It uses Pandoras 3D chip and the correct driver should be installed in order to run the game properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks amazing.

This would be the right engine to create a new LBA.

Did things today again :D

Some additional shots:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edit: Thanks for all your feedback guys

I like how objects between the player and the camera fade out for better visibility, it's a nice touch that I haven't seen before (granted I didn't play many 3D games). It also seems to run smooth on what looks like an older Pandora model, great since that's what I have :) Can't wait to try out a build, nice homebrew!

I didn´t tried this on a normal Pandora yet, as I only have a GHZ model,

however I downclocked the GPU and the CPU to the standart values of a rebirth edition pandora and it was still playable,

not sure about the RAM usage though ( when your Pandora is first batch ).

Thx for replying, I will run a bet test during next week, if you want to give it a try just PM me.

Wow i am one of the Demoversion closed Beta Testers and must say that this Game is realy wonderfull ;)

Had made a Video but because of a Recording Mistake,no Sound and little too much Red Colours.

(Best View in 480P ) :D

https://www.youtube.com/embed/uxBVovyW3hw?feature=oembed
A new Video with Sound and better recorded Colours will come next Days ^_^

Thx to Nabz_32X ^_^

Thx Ingoreis for the new video!

There is much new stuff finished allready for the next version:

Projectiles, fences for the map boarders,

lots of new conditions for events, like checking if a certain store is empty,

a new flag which adds all the physics calculations to events, a flag that lets you carry events ( you can also chose an animation sequence for this situation ).

I am working on special power shapes for reggie ( the editor for this is finished, some more ingame implementation is needed though.

Here is chainsaw reggie ( you can kill zombies with this power up ):

au38-w-6364.jpg

Sorry for not posting the latest updates for so long

in this forum.

Here are some of the most important add ons / changes I have made:

-Scrapped the Monster hunter upgrade, would have taken to much time to perfect this.

-Some NPCs can now be carried

-Conveyor belts are fully working for players and entities
-Blocks can crush the player now.

-Transformators can be set to active now, shocking the player if he touches them in this state.

-Fully working options, set keyconfig, maximum draw distance, texture quality, as well as music and sound volumes.

( Using low texture quality it gains 15 - 20% speed up on the pandora :) )

-Reggie now can drown ( also added an air bar to the interface )
-Fully out of the box working PND now which dosen´t need to copy all core files to the appdata folder at first start anymore.
-Finished first dungeon
-Added more explanations to the game

-Improved the editor a lot especially the event editor
-Added parenting child options for events, making it possible that one large boss consists of many part events, each with individually scriptable behaviour.
-Added an option for objects so they are treated like cylinders the player can stand on.
-Finished a first Boss.

-Added a new effect when Reggie kills an enemy.

-Added Lava

-Added Bombs

-Collision engine is now always point acurate no matter how far the frame rate drops.

Here are the videos I forgot to post here:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fhhMyGKFT08?feature=oembed

I am sorry I don´t have finished chapter 1 & 2 yet, now I have some more time again, because

I have finished my tests for this semester.

Hey your game is shapping up to something really great!

I love the retro style you're going for, it reminds me of the old pc games that would come in magazines.

The onlly thing I would change is to make the menus and ui drawn in pixel art to make it more coherent with the whole vibe of the game.

All in all you've done a tremendous work to push the GLBasic engine to it's knees! Good luck on your tests and dont push yourself too hard, I wish you the best luck on the devolepment of your game and Im looking forward to how it is going to be in its final state :)

... the last boss should be craig!

Awesome! You have proved that retro graphics can even look good in 3D.
And of course, this looks like a lot of fun. It Reminds me to Super Mario 64, but with easier level geometry.  I can't wait to play it.

Thx again for the kind words!

New graphics for the menue and font would take some time, but I will add it at the bottom of my to do list.

You are right N3Cr0 the last Boss will be Craig, you will even have to fight Evil Dragon at some point before.

Found some new bugs but I think I can fix them

before giving out new betas.

I am desperately searching for Pandora beta testers again.

If anyone is interested in doing so and of course has free time at hand,

just send me a PM and I will send you the Link.

I have made many changes to the game since the last beta.

Including:

-Inventory and shop systems are now ring menues.

-Added suits, you can wear them over your clothes but they all have certain negative effects.

I have 3 suits so far:

-Diving suit, makes you swim faster and increases max. air. Slows you down enormous when you are not in water.

-Ninja Suit, enables wall walking and wall jumping, but reduces your HP to 1.

-Electro Suit, makes you invulnerable against electric discharges,

enables you to release your stored energy ( gained through electric charges ) and shock enemys with it.

-Changed media loading system, now only the media used on the current map will be stored in memory. Should reduce Memory usage on the Pandora.

-Added Blocks that can be destroyed using bombs.

-Added the option to use the left Nub for walking.

-Built some new maps.

Here are some Pics of Reggie in his suits:

Diving Suit

ssscooba160m8yu5z3.jpg
Electro Suit

ninjatbmepr8x7k.jpg
Ninja Suit

ninjaxg7dlv4rof.jpg

Just asking if anybody got that pic of craig during one of the early christmas pandora videos.

( Where he has this weird smile)

need some inspiration for drawing the character face.

Back