Announce: Caster Coming To Linux (and Therefore...pandora...)

Svartalf

Website
www.earlconsult.com
While the Pandora portions have not started yet, the Linux port effort, which is required for the Pandora version, is coming along VERY nicely.

Of course, a screenshot's probably in order...

caster_screenshot-1-scaled_large.jpg

That's it running on my desktop machine. No, it's not doing it under WINE (though it does run decent in WINE...). It still lacks a few things before it can go into beta on the X86 Linux side of things, so it's going to be a short bit before that is ready- from there, we only lack a few tweaks inside the game and SDL 1.3 to make it play nice with ES implementations other than the iPhone one. Pricing for the Linux and Pandora versions will be the same as the Windows and MacOS versions and will be obtainable from Elecorn's sales site.

[edit]
I thought I ought to mention that the window there is at the screen resolution of the Pandora. It's going to look NICE... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Svartalf, thankyou muchly for your efforts in getting games like this ported. I greatly appreciate it. :)

Caster looks like great fun, and $10 is a bargain. :D

'Prometheus' said:
Svartalf, thankyou muchly for your efforts in getting games like this ported. I greatly appreciate it. :)

Agreed. I'd throw $10 your way if this game gets made for handy pandy

PHOTOSHOP LOL1111111111111

I kid, I kid. Looks nice. You're implementing the touch screen and everything, right?

'Prometheus' said:

+1 to this.
Looking forward to seeing it running in all it's glory.

'Butterman' said:

I kid, I kid. Looks nice. You're implementing the touch screen and everything, right?
That's Gimp not Photoshop, he's a Linux user ;)

Butterman said:
That'd be Gimp or CinePaint, if that were the case... I largely don't use Windows. Ever. ;)

I don't know about touch screen- it'd probably be difficult to play it on a Pandora that way. However, it WILL support the gaming controls and there's nothing keeping you from reconfiguring it to use the touch screen.

Prometheus said:
You're welcome. I hope to be bringing more than just this to the Pandora. There should be more on the way after I put the initial wraps on this one. :D

Heh... The thing seems to be pretty fun from the demo I'd played (which is why I'd contacted Elecorn for the permission/contract to port to Linux and Pandora.). I'm keen on seeing what the whole story's going to play like.

I've gone to the website and seen the video. But I still dont really understand whats going on. I see a whole bunch of things being fired. The environments looks really good, but the models look super generic.

Yeah, I was thinking I might want to switch out the player model for something.. different looking.

What's the plot, anyway? The video just shows some killer distance, reflections, and a monster or three.

It was reported on the blog as a possibility; it hadn't been confirmed yet. This thread would be that confirmation, from the guy who is porting it. This makes it maybe the second or third commercial title confirmed for Pandora, certainly the first one to make such a concrete announcement. So yes, it is indeed news. ;-)

Great to hear, Svartalf!

Zeno Arrow said:
How is this news?
See here...
http://openpandora.wordpress.com/2009/01/3...ed-for-pandora/

Heh... That news item was when I'd just signed NDA's and hadn't gotten word back from Mike on go/no go and didn't want to promise that which I couldn't yet give. Now's a bit different. ;)

And, you're welcome. :D

Gruso said:
It was reported on the blog as a possibility; it hadn't been confirmed yet. This thread would be that confirmation, from the guy who is porting it. This makes it maybe the second or third commercial title confirmed for Pandora, certainly the first one to make such a concrete announcement. So yes, it is indeed news. ;-)
There's some question as to whether the other commercial title's I've got rights access to will fit onto a Pandora without some modification- at least until I get them onto my dev board. I've got other titles that, if they DO go nicely on there, will be made available (though it's up in the air on pricing as they're LGP titles...).

The standard version says you buy the game once and get all updates (periodic new content, I would assume) for free. Do you know if that would hold true for the Pandora port you're doing as well? How are sales going to work? Will it still be the same $10? Are you sharing the income with the original dev guy, or are you basically doing the port for free?

WizardStan said:
The standard version says you buy the game once and get all updates (periodic new content, I would assume) for free. Do you know if that would hold true for the Pandora port you're doing as well? How are sales going to work? Will it still be the same $10? Are you sharing the income with the original dev guy, or are you basically doing the port for free?
It's the same deal for ALL versions of the title- including the price. However, don't expect to buy the Windows, MacOS, or Linux version and then expect the Pandora version to be free. I don't know how he wants to handle that aspect of things.

Heh... By the way, royalty structure discussions aren't something a pro normally gets into... ;)

Svartalf said:
Heh... By the way, royalty structure discussions aren't something a pro normally gets into... ;)
What I was secretly trying to ask and hoping you'd give away without my being blunt about it was if it will also be released for $10 or, because it's a third party developer, if the cost will be bumped up slightly. If you can't tell or don't know at this point, that's fine too, I'm mostly just prodding for information out of curiosity, not any real need to know.

Back