Animanime!

Nova

Is that a Caanoo in your pocket or are you just ha
Website
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm looking to get into some new anime DVDs. I've mainly seen films like Spirited Away, Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflys, etc and loved those! But I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of series I could start watching (or other films). I'm not really sure where to start.

Thanks in advance.

You didn't state a genre you're interested in, but here's a few:
Ghost in the shell (all, especially stand alone complex), near future cyberpunk. One of the best things ever.
Berserk, dark fantasy, bloody brilliant.
Legend of Galactic Heroes and Macross, space opera.
Gantz, near future with a silly plot and plenty of tits and gore.
One piece, humoristic pirate adventure, I prefer this out of the massive series that are out there.

What you've listed are some of the very best. Have you seen Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, My Neighbor Totoro, or Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea? Pretty much anything directed by Miyazaki. And all of them have great english dubs, Christian Bale playing Howl in Howl's Moving Castle.

If you want more adult, there is Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Evangelion, or Steamboy

Well, I'll just assume you're not interested in romance...so Rurouni Kenshin, Death Note, and Higashi no Eden (Eden of the East) are all good.

I dont know if this is too obvious but Samurai Champloo is a fantastic series that has a beginning, middle and end unlike many anime series.

Nobody mentioned Ninja Scroll either it is probably my favourite anime movie of all time and along with Akira and Ghost in the Shell started my fascination with anime.

@pandora: I suppose it is. I might note that I don't generally have patience for run of the mill anime, "just because it's anime". It's too stupid and boring often. But there ARE some very good stories told in this format, in fact many superior stories compared to even the best of hollywood. But there's an enormous amount of garbage as well. I like science fiction and the selection in western movies has often been disappointing compared to the space operas or ghost in the shell, the latter is far more cerebral than what you can find in any movie. Also the difference in values is a good thing, for example people aren't routinely killed as a solution to moral ambiguity, that's a american tv trope that I abhor. Many things are generally more life affirming and the difference in perspective makes it interesting. That's not to say that americans don't have any good values in the entertainment they make, at least occasionally.

With that out of the way, I think I'll turn to my favourite form of entertainment, Hong Kong crime and kung fu movies. :)

Thanks dudes, I'll check these out!

I don't feel like I have a good sense of what you might like, but I guess I could throw some things out there.

Eden of the East is good. I don't think it's out on DVD though, I think it was licensed pretty recently.
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Full Metal Panic et seq.
Ah! My Goddess
R.O.D (OVA and TV series)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

I don't watch a lot of anime and I haven't even seen many of the more famous ones, but if I had to rank the ones I've seen, these would be close to the top.

Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Ghost in the Shell are a must have. Paranoia agent is pretty decent too. Also you must watch Akira. You have no say in this.

I recommend Guyver: The Bioboosted Armor if you're into super hero stuff, it's the best of it's kind. I found Gantz the anime to be kinda lame. The manga's being released in the U.S. with the 8th volume that recently came out, I'd recommend reading that (it's still on going but regardless I find it to be a masterpiece). Here's hoping once the manga ends its run they do another anime and do it right this time.

Gantz the anime I found to be ok, thanks to the source material. I haven't read the manga yet, but I intend to. I find the complaints about it a bit similar to Berserk, there again the manga is an absolute masterpiece and anime is not as good. But is it bad? No. It's a good introduction to the world. Oh yeah, if Nova wants a mindbender and drama with actors, check out 20th century boys. Absolutely thrilling.

Back