Horror films for someone that 'can't be scared' ..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
Not for myself, as I still end up looking away at the more gratuitous/spooky scenes (pathetic.. I know)

My Niece is staying over the Christmas period & she's a horror fan.. I'm not really up to speed on my horror films, knowing only the obvious classics such as.. Exorcist, Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Hellraiser, The Thing etc..

Can you guys suggest a few that may help improve my kudos?

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the first Candyman film. Not so much for the scares - it's pretty tame by today's standards - but it's a pretty effective psych thriller too with a cool Philip Glass score.

two sisters. korean movie.

very scary.
Yes, this is the only one for me, that comes to mind.

Usually I am not at all into horror, but this one is rather good and I have a knack for korean movies anyway.

If you're brave enough:

posterb.jpg

And to be completely honest, i recomend this. Voice acting is crappy, but the atmosphere and mistery of this movie is BEYOND PERFECT

beyond1sheetact2.jpg

A review from IMDB

he New Yorker Liza Merril (Katherine MacColl) inherits an old hotel in Louisiana, and invests her savings to reopen the place. While repairing the building, many people dies, and local Dr. John McCabe (David Warbeck) feels close to Liza and tries to help her to solve the mystery of the hotel. Meanwhile, Emily (Sarah Keller), a blind woman, advises Liza to leave the place as soon as possible.

"Seven Doors of Death" is a sensational horror movie from the master of the genre Lucio Fulci. The special effects and makeup used for the horrible deaths are amazing, as well as the movements of the camera. The scary story has an unexpected surprising twist in the very end and certainly this movie may be considered one of the best movies of horror I have ever seen. My vote is eight.

Icontrolpad 2 . KS tips the movie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnCg-VBntis

The original 'The Shining', not the crappy remake.

My all-time favorite horror movie.

Why? It doesn't rely on cheap thrills... it's psychological, and it has depth.

There is a remake?

Or is the one with Jack Nicholson already the remake?

If you hate gore, but want to watch a REALLY creepy movie, then "The Haunting Of Hill House" (also called The Haunting") could be for you. It's an old (1963) black & white movie that is incredibly atmospheric, but it's not what you see that's scary. There is no blood or gore, just ever increasing tension. I'm a real horror buff and will watch pretty much anything going horror-wise and this one is, despite its age, still great. It was later "remade" with Liam Neeson and Catherine Zeta Jones, but they TOTALLY ruined it. Watch the original if you can, with the volume up fairly loud.

Another really creepy one (and one for lots of jumps) is "Prince Of Darkness" - ramps up the tension throughout, not too gory, but lots of shock.

"Poltergeist" is another one that's not too gory, but it's also not really too scary either. Just a great tale - just avoid the sequels. They were all rubbish.

Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is also a classic that has been remade loads of times. Pretty much all of the remakes are acceptable/good.

The Blob (remake) is good too.

People often cite the japanese movie "Ringu" (The Ring also remade as The Ring) as being one of the creepiest movies ever made - i thought it (and the remake) was crap. As was The Grudge, again based on a Japanese horror movie.

Put the light off and view the Movie

They - They comming

It plays with your Child Fear that the Monsters can be in every Shadow :D

I must ever put the Light on when i see that Movie,but Zombie and Alienmovies/Splattermovies

are all not bad for me because i know its very unrealistic.

They are in the Shadows,they catch you when you are not thinking on them :wacko:

That Movie is Psychic,have not much special Effects but they are all on the right Place :rolleyes:

I remember watching The Orphanage and initially thinking "meh". But then the next night I had this strange compulsion to constantly sneak to the kids' bedroom just to make sure they're still there and everything's OK... Whether it really counts as a "scary movie" for me is thus questionable, but at least it gave me some horrorish feelings after the movie...?

It seems to me that movies that are able to scare during their run are rare once you've grown up. Of course if you're in a theater you jump a couple of inches when the screen goes all red and there's a 500W orchestra strike in the soundrack synced to that frame. But isn't that more about reflexes than scares?

Then there's the kind where "you just know something bad is going to happen" all the time. That is more horrorish to me. But this effect is also put to use in other than horror movies. Heck, the worst one of this "oh, please just walk away and don't do anything stupid now, please"-genre was, for me, Mr. Bean's holiday. You knew he was going to screw up and you felt terrible for him in advance... But no, I'm not advocating that as a horror movie either :rolleyes: .

Then, like in The Orphanage the after effects can really be kind of "scary". It doesn't have to be a horror movie, though, a good drama can have similar effects. So I don't know if you count that...

The "spooks" kind of horror has no lasting effect on me and because I don't want to wake up the family I often watch them with so little sound that the orchestral "spook" effect is lost on me anyways.

As for gore filled films... well, I don't need to turn my head from the screen, but I do not actually enjoy the slicing and dicing either, I just find it repulsive, not scary... Actually romantic movies often make me want to puke too, so maybe the genres are not that far apart? :p

So... like... what was it that made horror horror again? :unsure:

Real horror is all about fear of the unknown. In most movies once you see the perpetrator/creature the horror effect wears off. I also think the more mundane the concept (ie the more natural and known to us) the scarier something really is. There's bit in Final Destination 2 (IIRC) that shows a man trying to recover something by putting his hand into the garbage disposal in the sink - now this is real horror. It's about the anticipation, about what is likely to happen. You just know that the garbage disposal is going to turn on. And you're watching. Waiting. Knowing what the result will be. And then... And then... Nothing happens! That is real horror. Making you think the worst will happen.

There is a remake?

Or is the one with Jack Nicholson already the remake?
The one with Jack is the original. :)

No idea who's in the remake.

Real horror is all about fear of the unknown. In most movies once you see the perpetrator/creature the horror effect wears off.
A case in point being "Night Of The Demon" (1957) - it was meant to be a psychological terror, playing with your doubts as to whether the supernatural existed or if the unexplained could just be coincidence - but the studios wanted it made more er, black & white, so any doubt was removed by inserting a dirty great big demon causing all the mayhem.

It's still a great film though. Required viewing.

I do like a Zombie flick, the appeal isnt so much the gore, it's the world turning in on itself and falling to pieces - so George Romero's original "Dawn of the Dead" and the 2004 remake of the same name make my list.

FACTOID: Romero's stylings for his Zombie films were inspired by the 1964 adaptation of the book "I am Legend" - the film was called "The Last Man On Earth" and it isn't too scary but it's atmosphere is light years ahead of it's peers of the day. The scenes of desolation in the city still have impact. And it's FREE on archive.org!

https://archive.org/details/TheLastManOnEarth_72

Not often you get Vincent Price keeping the campness to a minimum either!

It will be hard to scare someone that already saw tons of horror and scary movies. They all use the same techniques and if you have seen a lot of them you will be pretty immune for the effects. You could also scare her by asking someone to enter your house when she is there and pretend to be a maniac. That should do the trick and you can both laugh about it when she calms down.

Movies with lots of gore mainly disgust me so I usually avoid them. I thought Battle Royale was entertaining. I liked the concept. Not really scary though and certainly not a good story or good acting, but entertaining nevertheless. 

A classic movie that I know had some scary moments and also a movie you learned to know the characters and had some good actors was Cape Fear with Robert de Niro. I don't know if it classifies as horror though.  

Back