android on pandora

I've now settled on Android and I _love_ it. If you make this the main OS, I'll be happy :) I don't think Angström is a proper prime-time OS, too much fiddling and much too linuxish.

Mali has apparently been seized by malignant forces. Break out your bibles, korans et al. and call the exorcist!

Just messing with you m8 :)

Pandroid!

Has droid, of android, and android has an a in the beginging, add that single a to pandroid, take off the id and switch around the ro, you got pandora!

I'm not against an Android port, on a community level. I'm against it being the default OS. This of course means no *official* market support but there are ways if you own a legal Android device or are just plain immoral ;) I like Android, I think it's OK as a phone OS, but you should all be aware that with no official support, things like the Pandora nubs might not work with released software without some hacking too.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not against an Android port, on a community level. I'm against it being the default OS. This of course means no *official* market support but their are ways if you own a legal Android device or are just plain immoral ;) I like Android, I think it's OK as a phone OS, but you should all be aware that with no official support, things like the Pandora nubs might not work with released software without some hacking too.
I agree. Please, do not make it the default. (Though Craig has already produced a thread with this to see what the community thinks)

I have Android on my N900 and it's pretty cool. It's not fully functional yet and it doesn't have things like a compass but, it's a nice little OS. The big draw however is not the OS but the apps (OS-wise Maemo blows Android out of the water as far as utility is concerned). As mentioned before, if there were some Ginge-like program to run Android Apps inside of Angstrom that would probably be enough. But the Pandora should keep a full Linux OS as default because it is much more powerful.

Android is simpel, it's the same things between Android and Angstrom or Linux an Windows.

Windows is for people wich only whant to USE it.

But Linux.... Linux is something u have to learn, OK if u use Ubuntu (Angstrom) not really, but u can actualy do much more things.

A Dualboot, that would be the best ;)

Linux can be all the simple you configure it to be. You already have the option of using any of the two frontends: one console-like and one umpc-like. But splitting official development resources on two completely different operating systems is utterly unrealistic. It would be so even for a big company. And migrating from a linux distro (which implies openness, power, versatility) to android (thought for phones, limited, to become dependent on google) for this kind of device is a suicide. No choice, really.

Linux can be all the simple you configure it to be. You already have the option of using any of the two frontends: one console-like and one umpc-like. But splitting official development resources on two completely different operating systems is utterly unrealistic. It would be so even for a big company. And migrating from a linux distro (which implies openness, power, versatility) to android (thought for phones, limited, to become dependent on google) for this kind of device is a suicide. No choice, really.

Android aint going anywhere anytime soon, and as far as upgradeability, the first android phone ever is able to run the latest andtoid release(even in a limited form if it)

Stick with the andtoid open source project (which is seperate from google belive it or not) And you will always have support. Its like being afraid that support will drop for angstrom

Smaller less skilled and less orginized companies are able to at least throw a android port together, why cant this community do it, I would be happy if one dev out there were to say "ill do it" no eta needed, just to know it will actually be worked on eventually. And mean it. Thats all it would take to make me sleep well tonight.

Well I think there is a build of 2.2 for the G1, but it's unofficial, trimmed, and the hardware is pretty dated as is. That said, I don't believe the Pandora meets the recommended requirements of Gingerbread(3.0), but it could probably handle it fine with a decent port and a decent overclock. I still think some sort of application layer would be more beneficial. Wasn't stuckie going to try getting android to work in an extend...?

Mali , android also requires fiddling and it is a fork of linux.
He does have a point: Angstrom is terribly touch-unfriendly.

Maemo is nice, but basically left behind by Nokia in such a state that the community is unable to fix its bugs. Meego isn´t there yet and would probably suffer from the same control-issues Maemo had.

A decent Android port, even without Market access, would be a nice experiment. Maybe go the way some people in the Pepper Pad community are heading: chroot. Bog knows this Panda has resources to burn.

Still evildragon has a video where he shows that you can use your finger in angstrom, we have a stylus included , other guis like minmemu and we have the nubs that can be used as mice. I really don't see the point in an android port.

Still evildragon has a video where he shows that you can use your finger in angstrom, we have a stylus included , other guis like minmemu and we have the nubs that can be used as mice. I really don't see the point in an android port.
I don't see either the point in an OFFICIAL android port. But hey! Nothing stops anybody for working on an unofficial port, same as with the gentoo team. That would be great!

Regardless, android is much less expandable than angstrom. With angstrom you've got things you've got on desktop linux, which is sort of the point. Why bother getting a pandora when there are already android devices out there? No, android makes no sense on the pandora.

The thing is there's no point in prohibit people making ports of other OSes. The best thing this device has is the openess and if someone wants to port a refrigerator software to work on the pandora he is free to do that despite he is the only one interested in that.

I see it as a sign of richness that we all of the users want it (her? :) ) for very different reasons and she will be up to the task. For gaming, as umpc, pim, carputer, portable video, microcontroller programming, voip phone, etc. So there's room for all visions and all projects. I completely agree with you on that having a full-featured linux distro (like Angstrom) is the best decision for the official OS with no doubt. But I also think Android makes sense on the Pandora as long as there's a bunch of people that want to use it. Just don't expect OPT to do the port for you.

I think it's a great idea and someone SHOULD make an Android port. But full desktop Linux should be the base OS. Give users full power!

Back