N64oid on Pandora with Android

hailrazer

Staff member
So has anyone tried to run N64oid on their Android Os Pandora?

Just wondering if/how well it runs.

*dang thought I posted this in the Android Forum..... Mod's do your magic moving thing please :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Having just got my 1 Ghz, I was quite dissapointed that Mupen wasnt as good as N64oid on my phone.....

So was trying to install Android Gingerbread last nite, but it wouldnt install. I will try again, have 3.2 kernel

Tried different cards just wouldnt run at all

I did do this last month actually! It didnt run amazing, but it did run. About half the speed the linux emulator runs at. Maybe because I hadn't overclocked to 1.1ghz? (Don't know how to overclock on android)

Did you have any problems installing?
The emulator or android? No issues with the emulator but me and a friend spent about 2 days getting the android os working. Dont even remember how he did it lmao

@ DeeJay :

What did you do to try and install Android, did you follow this guide, if you did then where did it go wrong?

Thats the guide I followed, when I tried to run Gingerbread it wouldnt run, I left it ages

A few things could be the cause, one your were not running the latest Super Zaxxon at the time.. you can't use regular Zaxxon. You need to be booted in the 3.2 Kernel.

or

A corrupted PND download, because getting it to run should just be as easy as clicking the PND.

Having just got my 1 Ghz, I was quite dissapointed that Mupen wasnt as good as N64oid on my phone.....

So was trying to install Android Gingerbread last nite, but it wouldnt install. I will try again, have 3.2 kernel

Tried different cards just wouldnt run at all
unlikely that n64oid will bring you any more joy on the Pandora then Mupen does. I suspect that your phones specs simply outmatch the Pandoras

Indeed, what we really need is a Graphics plugin guru to either write us a graphics plugin from scratch or tweak the hell out of the existing plugin or use a different plugin as the base for the Pandora GFX plugin...

My Android phone spec wise is supposed to be better than the pandora, but still can't play games as well as Mupen.. maybe not be as big of an upgrade as newer phones.

Its a Sony Experia Arc S, N64oid runs nearly flawless.....

but with touch controls its a nightmare, wii controller works well though. Still struggling with Android updated to the newest Super Zaxxon, but Pnd 6 or even 5 wont load ive downloaded them several times...

any advice???

have you tried deleting the the android directory in the appdata folder? There could be some left over junk messing you up.

I have tried N64oid on my pandora. Overall it displays sharper graphics than mupen. As for games some run better than mupen and some others run worse.Here I share my overall experience with some other android emulators I have tried (very briefly) on my 1Ghz console:

N64: android emu (n64oid) has better graphics but some games run worse than pandora's emu.

SNES: Both android (snesoid) and pandora's emu run I would say equally well, pandora's emu has the advantage of more game compatibility including support for patched (translated) games.

GBA: android emu runs ok but lacks the superb optimization (such as 3x scale) of pandora's emu.

PSX: Android emu (FPSE v. 0.11.53) runs really bad. not worth trying it. There is another android psx emu (Epsxe) than runs much better than Fpse but is no match for the perfectly emulated pandora's emu Pcsx-Rearmed.

MAME: It was a pain in the ass installing both mame4all and mame4droid-reloaded. overall performance is just ok. Better choice is pandora's mame4all and Panmame.

CPS1/2/3: I tried a cps2 android emu called CPSEemu and it ran very good.However with Pandora's FBA there is no need to look somewhere else. Pandora's FBA has great performance, game compatibility, and it's very easy to use (it's my favorite emu/myaddrproxy.php/http/boards.openpandora.org/public/style_emoticons/default/wub.png ).

SEGA:Haven't tried android's gensoid or Md.emu.(Not interested)

ATARI: Haven't tried.(Not interested).

SNK/NEO-GEO: Haven't tried Android's Neo.emu nor Pandora's emu Gngeo yet.

Actually with a config file change, Mupen can run at the same resolution as n64oid and run it faster than n64oid.. In recent releases the config file was changed to run at native n64 resolution instead of double resolution (320x240 vs 640x480) .. Mario 64 runs pretty damn good at 640x480, others not so much.

Got my 1Ghz It is Awesome!! But struggling to get some games going well on Mupen, namely Wave Race one of my fav games it wont start at first and goes to a frozen menu??? Lylat/starfox have white borders down the side and wont display full screen, any help anyone? Im using the newest Mupen with the new setting built in. Mario Kart runs well though, dissapointing compared to N64oid on my phone which runs awsome. I finally have android installed, using a different SD card sorted my issues, but N64oid is sluggish on that. Im sure my 1Ghz should do better....

Got my 1Ghz It is Awesome!! But struggling to get some games going well on Mupen, namely Wave Race one of my fav games it wont start at first and goes to a frozen menu??? Lylat/starfox have white borders down the side and wont display full screen, any help anyone? Im using the newest Mupen with the new setting built in. Mario Kart runs well though, dissapointing compared to N64oid on my phone which runs awsome. I finally have android installed, using a different SD card sorted my issues, but N64oid is sluggish on that. Im sure my 1Ghz should do better....
You need to launch the standard Mupen GUI and change to use the other GFX plugin for wave race. Unfortunately the plugin change is global.

Actually with a config file change, Mupen can run at the same resolution as n64oid and run it faster than n64oid.. In recent releases the config file was changed to run at native n64 resolution instead of double resolution (320x240 vs 640x480) .. Mario 64 runs pretty damn good at 640x480, others not so much.
Indeed the resolution was reduced simply to squeeze a bit more smoothness out of the emulator in general, in terms of performance. It just means a few more games reach a playable state - You can change resolution on a pergame basis, however should you wish to experiment.

Cannot get it to load with the other plugin, when I change to 4 it seems to revert back to 5 when I close am I missing some way to save the setting...

Back