Android emulator

Interesting to find out if it can be used with the Pandora.

wouldn't you at least need some form or wrapper for all the playbook apis?

probably get further porting dalvik and the android apis from scratch, compiling dalvik to the hello world point is a piece of cake, so that approach would just need someone to implement every function in the android api and wrap to things the pandora supports

So, all we need is a BlackBerry Emulator and then we'll get Android for free? ;)

I'm desperately trying to fight the urge to say the following: "I've got an Android emulator, it's called the Java VM... ho ho, he he!"

I thought there was already talk of some manner of compatibility layer for the Pandora, allowing it to run Android apps... I could be imaging things, though.

When all's said and done, there's no substitute to getting Android up and running natively on the Pandora, I look forward to such a time as I've yet to get myself an Android device for software tinkering/testing. Of course, I've got to get my Pandora first!

I thought there was already talk of some manner of compatibility layer for the Pandora, allowing it to run Android apps... I could be imaging things, though.
There's been lots of talk about it. It has all been "Someone should do this" "Yeah yeah, that'd be great" "Ok, so who will do it and how are they going to accomplish it?" "*cricket* *cricket*"

"Ok, so who will do it and how are they going to accomplish it?" "*cricket* *cricket*"

Yes... things seem to end up going that way! Nothing ever really happens until someone gets bored one day and decides to embark upon a programming adventure. I should know, I'm exactly the same. I've only ever got as far as half-hearted ports to the Dingoo. I think extracting portions of Android might be a little beyond me and, in the light of several projects to get Android running sweetly on the bare-metal, redundant.

A structured way of gathering all these ideas, separating the wheat from the chaff and getting a bounty put together for them might be nice. Call it the Kickstarter of Pandora development.... oh dear, I hear those crickets again.

I find it incredibly funny that Java was designed to purposefully throw out performance to gain portability... and Android went and made a special version which not only performs terribly in a Java-esque fashion but also does not work on any other platform. William the Third himself could not have designed a more arse-backwards API.

Back