Omap4 Benchmark

Exophase

Nothing good will ever come of Exophase.
I know some of you are interested in OMAP4 as the mainline successor to the chip inside the Pandora, and a possible contender for a future Pandora. After years of waiting we're finally seeing commercial devices demonstrated that have the chip, including the Blackberry Playbook and the LG Optimus 3D phone with stereoscopic display. Anandtech has put the latter through some of the usual Android benchmarks:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4179/ti-omap4-and-lg-optimus-3d-tested

It's looking to shape up nicely compared to the immediate high end competitor, TI's Tegra 2. This is, of course, with a benchmark suite I consider pretty poor, but at least it's against members of the same CPU ISA and with some comparison within the same OS version. It'll be good to see how battery life is, particularly with the rumors of Playbook having problems on this front.

I'll be interested in seeing further benchmarking tests, but that does look nice. Let's hope that the Pandora is enough of a success to warrant a Pandora 2.

In all honesty, even though I really *REALLY* enjoy my Pandora, I'm probably only going to be using hybrid devices in the future. I don't particularly care for emulation outside what is currently available to the Pandora and would really like to start playing more indie/commercial titles that are current.

The only important piece of the puzzle is the actual game controls for me. The Xperia Play is shaping up to be an awesome device. But if Apple made one, especially with all the success they have on the app store, I'd swoop that up. Now, if an Xbox Phone came out, I'd be in love.

So yea, that's my current thought process. I don't really want to carry around multiple devices. Since it's winter, it's not such a problem because I have an extra pocket in my jacket, but when Spring/Summer comes rolling around I don't know how I'm going to carry the Pandora.

Edit: sorry for the half reply.

As far as OMAP4 goes, it seems like the natural extension of OMAP3. But I have to admit that I am more excited for OMAP5.

Back