Android Console Yinlips Ydp-G18

I got my YDPG18 late last night thanks to DHL dropping it off at the wrong house. :angry:

Anyhow, because of that I didn't have much time to test it. Following a video I found on Youtube, I did manage to root it with Z4Mod, but after that is when the trouble started. In the video the guy also installed Titanium Backup to uninstall the factory apps. I tried using it myself for the first time, but it's not exactly user friendly for an Android illiterate like me. I think I managed to uninstall the factory emulators, at least they don't show up anymore, but I'm not sure if their completely gone or if remnant files still exist somewhere? I'm also not sure which of the chinese named apps are critical or not?

I installed the latest version of N64oid, but even after setting up the controls I can't get the Dpad to work. I also can't get the emulator to exit from a game once it's started. I have to do a hard reset.

This thing needs a custom ROM badly.

Veritas0589 said:
I got my YDPG18 late last night thanks to DHL dropping it off at the wrong house. :angry:

Anyhow, because of that I didn't have much time to test it. Following a video I found on Youtube, I did manage to root it with Z4Mod, but after that is when the trouble started. In the video the guy also installed Titanium Backup to uninstall the factory apps. I tried using it myself for the first time, but it's not exactly user friendly for an Android illiterate like me. I think I managed to uninstall the factory emulators, at least they don't show up anymore, but I'm not sure if their completely gone or if remnant files still exist somewhere? I'm also not sure which of the chinese named apps are critical or not?

I installed the latest version of N64oid, but even after setting up the controls I can't get the Dpad to work. I also can't get the emulator to exit from a game once it's started. I have to do a hard reset.

That`s why I haven`t bought one yet I think it needs atleast adrioid 2.3 custom rom... not sure weather to buy one anymore.. well see B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I do believe I have bricked my Yinlips (or drained the battery too low, still haven't been able to recharge the bloody thing) while messing about with the recovery console, all I get is a black screen :(

Amon_Re said:
I do believe I have bricked my Yinlips (or drained the battery too low, still haven't been able to recharge the bloody thing) while messing about with the recovery console, all I get is a black screen :(

Okay, got the thing back to work, apperantly having update files on the SD card for another Amlogic device wasn't such a good idea, I think it partially killed uboot by applying the update without so much as a warning. Reapplied the yinlips firmware and it works again however I have to hold down the power button untill the Android logo appears (longer then before). Oh well.

Veritas0589 said:

The factory emulator apk's are in the app and app-private directory of the rootfs but are include in the recovery image as well. Im not sure if they are reinstalled on system recovery but they are not needed anyways the emulators that are included are all free except for the n64 one. Sideload them. As far as the dpad the n64 used an analog stick map your dpad controls to it in the settings

SONY said:
Congrats on resurrecting!I'm glad it's back~ :)

EDIT: It's unbrickable like Pandora! :pandora2ut4:

I wouldn't say it's unbrickable, it's just not fully known yet ;)

Oooh, this could prove usefull btw:
How to unbrick bricked bricks

Going to test this on my system soon, it should work I think

Well BAFelton, you've forced me to buy this bad boy!
Looks like my Caanoo will be sadly collecting dust very soon. I can't wait to see if OnLive will work on it when they launch the app!

Hey guys, just joined up because I'm very close to pulling the trigger on this thing and this seemed as good a place as any to discuss it.

I've never owned any of the systems this board is mainly for, but I am a big Android fan and I'm looking forward to having a good handheld for retro gaming. First thing I'm doing is rooting it and removing the preinstalled emulators so I can install the latest versions. The CPU/GPU combo used on this system seems to handle emulation very well, I was especially impressed at the N64 emulation.

A few questions for the people who already own this bad boy:

1) Any problems with pressing multiple buttons at once on the emulators? Most of my HTC Android handsets have had problems with more than 2 buttons at once(for instance, running+jumping on Super Mario Bros... left + B + A is three buttons so it just didn't work).
2) How's the HDMI output? Is there a delay between the controls and the video when using it?
3) Did updating to the latest N64oid improve performance at all?
4) Have you found any games(aside from the emulators) that can use the control pad and buttons? There are some games on the Android market that allow for hardware button setup.

Finally, any chance of some more video mini-reviews? I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, but I'd love some more opinions before I make my final decision. If I take the plunge and buy one, I'll probably get my own review up as well. Thanks, guys. Oh, and pleased to meet you!

P.S. I know I'm a newbie, but if my vote counts for anything, +1 on this system having its own section :)

rotation said:
Well BAFelton, you've forced me to buy this bad boy!
Looks like my Caanoo will be sadly collecting dust very soon. I can't wait to see if OnLive will work on it when they launch the app!

Sadly OnLive app needs Android 2.3 to run.... as that was my first thought when I saw the Yinlips :(

I've got my finger on the trigger to buy this thing...BUT, as with every Chinese device, I have to say: I have my reservations and concerns, which are only further bolstered by the fact some of the most important questions (overall controller quality, battery life, wifi quality) that have been asked in this thread about the unit have been completely avoided or sidestepped by the ones who actually own these things (EDIT: Apologies to BAFelton; I apparently missed his goings over of the most important questions).

I've read over this thread and the ongoing one over at the OpenPandora forums, scoured video sites and searched online and am yet to find any sort of comprehensive review that covers the overall quality of these things.

I caution everyone to carefully think through buying a Yinlips..trust me when I say that, at first glance, I was immediately firing up my Paypal to buy one, but after carefully combing through all of the evidence, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to tread lightly and hold off.

Well, I've thrown caution to the wind and ordered one. It was just too tempting, and I had some leftover Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket :p

I didn't trust submitting payment info to websites that didn't have SSL, so I found a website that was verisigned and accepted paypal. Some place called fyygame.com, they're mainly known for selling knockoff controllers and accessories. Still no SSL for the order process, but at least I had paypal's SSL when I was redirected to it for the payment authorization. I also got express shipping for "free"(they sell the unit for 149.99), so I'll report back how long it actually took to get to me once it arrives in case anyone else wants to try buying it this way. Oh, I should also note I found an online coupon that got me 6 bucks off. So total cost 143.99 with express shipping, pretty good :)

I'll also make some videos and post my own review once I've had a chance to dig in. Here's to hoping it's as good as it seems to be!

tkeely4777 said:
I've got my finger on the trigger to buy this thing...BUT, as with every Chinese device, I have to say: I have my reservations and concerns, which are only further bolstered by the fact some of the most important questions (overall controller quality, battery life, wifi quality) that have been asked in this thread about the unit have been completely avoided or sidestepped by the ones who actually own these things (EDIT: Apologies to BAFelton; I apparently missed his goings over of the most important questions).

I've read over this thread and the ongoing one over at the OpenPandora forums, scoured video sites and searched online and am yet to find any sort of comprehensive review that covers the overall quality of these things.

I caution everyone to carefully think through buying a Yinlips..trust me when I say that, at first glance, I was immediately firing up my Paypal to buy one, but after carefully combing through all of the evidence, I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to tread lightly and hold off.

Here are some of my answers here : http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/6071-yinlips-g18/page__st__100

A new video :

Looks like Pandawill the chinese android tablet site is selling it but for more $138.99.

http://www.pandawill.com/yinlips-ydpg18-game-tablet-pc-5-inch-amlogic-a9-8gb-hdmi-1080p-camera-black-p54352.html?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=ql&utm_campaign=20224

kayuz said:
Yinlips directely send me one console today, when i get it i will post my review ;)

Kayuz how did you pay them to ship it to you? Did you get it yet? Been almost a month.

Akabei said:
yuprules said:
Looks like Pandawill the chinese android tablet site is selling it but for more $138.99, way cheaper than Ishare gift's $250!

http://www.pandawill.com/yinlips-ydpg18-game-tablet-pc-5-inch-amlogic-a9-8gb-hdmi-1080p-camera-black-p54352.html?utm_source=youtube&utm_medium=ql&utm_campaign=20224
250$? Where did you see that price?
http://www.isharegifts.com/yinlips-android-game-console-wifi-tablet-mp4-p-1573.html

LOL, for some odd reason it took me to the COMBO PACK where you get TWO OF THEM. Post edited.

http://www.isharegifts.com/yinlips-ydpg18-wifi-android-game-console-combos-p-1602.html

Back