Android 4.4/5.0 OOB?

Discussion in 'Pyra OS (Debian GNU/Linux)' started by Asaggynoodle, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Faust

Faust Very Active Member

2. pablocrossa

pablocrossa Still Fresh

Hi, sorry for taking so long to respond, I'm very busy with uni deadlines and work

Sounds perfect, thanks Grench, hopefully that lets us run the emulator before all units ship. When I hear prototypes start shipping and I'm over this uni workload I'll figure something out with you :)

Hi, again sorry for the delay, everything's mostly the same except that I've started dwelving into what's needed to make the Google OpenGL ES 1/2 renderer use the native Pyra OpenGL ES 1/2 libraries, with any shims that might be needed. I also THINK that the updated ranchu fork (as opposed to the ancient Goldfish fork) has gained OpenGL passthrough support, which makes life easier without ugly patches and hacks.
    But right now the project's on hold until I have a bit more free time.

Hope to get back to you guys with some more progress soon :)

3. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

By my estimate they're likely more than a month out from Prototypes shipping, so you don't need to get into a big hurry on it.

What country/region are you on? I'm pretty close to the geographic center of the continental United States.

I'm wondering if we would be able to get you direct access to one of the prototypes for a week or two - if not mine then maybe one of the other 7 (so far silent) purchasers.

There is still a lot of wait time though. Good to see you haven't given up on the idea.

4. Luke-Jr

Luke-Jr Member

More than a month just for prototypes? :(

What's your estimate for the production units?

5. Asaggynoodle

Asaggynoodle Member

I'd be willing to say somewhere between 4-6 Months.

6. Silent-Hunter

Silent-Hunter Hardcore Member

Hey, could we have the link to the QEMU and Android image you're using? I wanna run it on my PC.

7. pablocrossa

pablocrossa Still Fresh

Right now I'm running the standard emulator (with a semi-broken 3D) and the standard vanilla Android 6.0 image built for it, are you comfortable downloading and compiling everything on Ubuntu or would you like me to upload? The generated images will be designed for an Ubuntu system but might work elsewhere :)

8. Silent-Hunter

I use Gentoo, not Ubuntu, but I would assume the same packages are available. I am comfy compiling things, as long as it's standard compilation procedure. I just want to be able to use Marshmallow on my PC, and none of the things I have tried so far work.

9. pablocrossa

pablocrossa Still Fresh

If you just want to use Marshmallow consider installing the SDK, downloading an image through it and I'm sure there are steps to add the Google Services to one virtual device you create through it.

If you still want to build from source:
    The Android build system is tested only on Ubuntu AFAIK, Gentoo might need some caressing... If you can't build successfully I'd consider a termporary chroot for that.

Before starting select a branch. I picked one of the android-6.0.1_r branches, cannot remember which one but I'm pretty sure all will have support for the emulator, you'll probably be best picking the newest from https://source.android.com/source/build-numbers.html
    Then set up the build environment. I've personally set it up in a 14.04 chroot I made with debootstrap following the instructions from https://source.android.com/source/initializing.html

At the bottom of the page you'll find a link to the next step, the same as with the next one. Just follow the instructions and you'll build the emulator and image for the target system (emulator).

Hope that helps

10. Xcl4m4t10n

Xcl4m4t10n Advanced Member

Can somebody make a little summary about this topic? I have a friend interested and he asked me about android on pyra.

Faust likes this.
  11. Plume

Plume Member

At the moment, no it's not possible. However, it is in theory and some people started playing around with the idea.
    Correct me, if I'm wrong.

12. Orbstheorem

Orbstheorem Still Fresh

I have an ODROID-XU4 in which I could test :D

13. Silent-Hunter

@pablocrossa Just a bump, seeing if this VM Android is still possible.

14. Silent-Hunter

@pablocrossa Hey, even if the VM doesn't support 3D, android apps that don't need it will still work right? Like Google Maps, or Words with Friends, or maybe Netflix?

15. Alperoot

Alperoot Welcome! Welcome to Airstrip 17.

Well, he was last seen on May 4, so...

16. ible

ible professional vim user

may the fourth be with him.

Alperoot likes this.
  17. Silent-Hunter

I know, I was hoping I could use what he's done so far, even if 3D doesn't work.

Alperoot likes this.
  18. jontheramer2

jontheramer2 Member

As there are at least two projects for running Android apps under Linux (if arch supported which it is); will any of those work?

19. Grench

Grench Forum Addict!

Got any links to them? Do they work on any ARM host devices currently? Is source available?

If there is already something out there, @TrashyMG or someone else with a dev board might want to do some testing on it.

20. jontheramer2

jontheramer2 Member