Aluminium Case being made!

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it eventually had to happen sometime after the case data has been released:

Someone offered to create an Aluminium case for the Pandora - and I'll support him to sell it.

The aluminium case will be hard-coated and nearly invincible to scratches.

There'll be two colors available: Pearl Mouse Grey (with a slightly green touch, see attached picture) and Jet Black.

RAL7048 vs Hard-Coat.jpg

Other colors are not possible (that's the technical limitation of he hard coating)

The case will cost 99 EUR (incl. VAT), which is production cost price (no profit being made by anyone here).

In case you're too scared to swap the case yourself, we'll offer a service to do that for you for 30 EUR.

Of course, you can add any other items and accessories in our shop as well for your order.

The cases will be ready after about 4 weeks, but production wiill only be started when we get at least 100 orders (to cover the one-time tooling costs).

I'll start a preorder for that soon, and of course if the case won't be produced, you don't need to pay anything (or will get your money back if you already paid for it).

There's one catch though:

As aluminium shields like hell, we cannot guarantee Wifi will be working as good as before.

We're trying to put some plastic inlet there to make sure Wifi works, but we can't test it before we got an actual case.

So this might need some modding afterwards.

Of course, Wifi USB Sticks are not affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colour me interested, as my case has a couple of cracks

Also, Is there a list somewhere of Pandora-compatible USB sticks? My WiFi sometimes works great, but then all of a sudden stops (it remains connected, but absolutely zero data flows)

Cool, I never thought that this will happen. Of course I had hoped for. :) Even the names of the colours sound cool. :D

The case will cost 99 EUR (incl. VAT), which is production cost price (no profit being made by anyone here).

In case you're too scared to do that yourself, we'll offer a service to do that for you for 30 EUR.
99 Euro for the entire case, sounds fair for such a small batch.
There's one catch though:

As aluminium shields like hell, we cannot guarantee Wifi will be working as good as before.

We're trying to put some plastic inlet there to make sure Wifi works, but we can't test it before we got an actual case.

So this might need some modding afterwards.

Of course, Wifi USB Sticks are not affected.
Does the WiFi signal somehow can be guided through the actual LCD screen or is this part also covered in metal (backside of the screen maybe)?And are there other modifications needed to make the case work in Alu? Stuff like fitting, wall thickness, isolation of internal parts etc...?

There'll be two colors available: Pearl Mouse Grey (with a slightly green touch, see attached picture) and Jet Black.
Will you get a picture of the black one, too?

I wonder if it is possible to make some more Keyboard parts?

I need to have at least one free try for the second pair of shoulder buttons.

Me, too, if I can be sure that Wifi will work.

That's tempting, really tempting. :)

No W-LAN would be quite a downside, though. Hopefully it will work.

I'm down to try it. Hopefully production/payment can wait until after September 6. That is when I will have discretionary funds available again. If it looks like I need to order sooner to help hit the 100 mark, I will discuss it with the fiance!

Sounds interesting, hope there will also be an Aluminium option for Pyra, probably won't bother myself for Panodra but will give it some serious thought if available for Pyra.

PS Is there sentence about swapping the case missing from here? :

The case will cost 99 EUR (incl. VAT), which is production cost price (no profit being made by anyone here). In case you're too scared to do that yourself, we'll offer a service to do that for you for 30 EUR.

The case of my Pandora is fine (apart from the color wearing off in some spots), so I probably will not do it (also because my Wifi is pretty good and I don't want to risk it).

I was actually hoping the Pyra might get a partly aluminum-case ... like an aluminum frame (which would make it sturdy even if it falls down) and plastic inlets for the other parts. That would have made it easy to offer differently colored parts that the user can easily swap ... maybe even carbon-inlets and whatnot ... and it would have looked more fancy right from the start. But anyway, if there will be a full aluminum-option for the Pyra with working wifi I will most likely choose that.

Oh.. I read all that.. And I still thought it was for the Pyra :(

Still the Pandora might be a good candidate. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awesome! I'm waiting for LCD cables to come back on stock to get some other spare parts for my Pandora, but this would be an awesome upgrade for my Pandora. Wifi might be problematic, especially with the lid closed, but I'd be willing to try it out in case it can still maintain a connection (not too concerned about bandwidth with the lid closed most of the time).

@pmprog  don´t know about a list of wlan sticks but my ASUS WL 167G is working very well with slackware but not with SZ

This is bad ass all the way. 

I actually just upgrade to the platinum 1Ghz back in January and my upper case cracked a few months after. So I just contacted ED last week to get a replacement lid sent out(hopefully it's on the way), but I know at some point in the future I'm sure to get more cracks at different locations.

Besides having a nice look and a great finish, this should eliminate the current quality issues of the current cases. I know the Pandora case hasn't always been the best fit, so I'm hoping with this case being more rigid, won't cause fit issues for the internal parts.

Put me in for: 1

Chris

As long as I can get some money available I am interested.

Also, Is there a list somewhere of Pandora-compatible USB sticks? My WiFi sometimes works great, but then all of a sudden stops (it remains connected, but absolutely zero data flows)
http://pandorawiki.org/USB_compatibility_list#USB_WiFi_adapters

I have a TP-Link, i think the Nano, and it sticks out a bit from the usb port, but the speeds are a huge improvement over my internal wifi.

Edit:  I used to have the same problem with internal wifi stopping.  The slow speeds and stalling is why I picked it up.  I think it was around $10-15.

Back