Alternatives to the pyra?

blimpsgo180 said:
1 minute ago, blimpsgo180 said:

, I'd rather use a iPad / tablet.
Really? that is the worst possible thing I could think of. Anything touch screen is horrific.
I thought the same thing but you just get used to it. Android phones (at least the Nexus series) vibrate a little bit when you touch the on-screen keyboard, which makes it feel like touching a real keyboard.

I hate to argue with a MST3k fan...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I appreciate Pandora for having developers who don't charge for emulators that they just repackage from someone else's source code (like you see on Android all the time).

A good amount of the emulators for the Pandora are not repackaged, Drastic the DS emulator was first released on the Pandora by Exophase, then with help of Lordus who made the android interface sold the Android version on the google store. Picodrive, pcsx ReArmed, Reicast have all been optimized on the Pandora by their respected developers. 

Edit: Never mind you were being complementary, just read it real quick... Carry on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even then, it seems like hardware is evolving faster than developers can optimize source code. Look at the nVidia Shield (released two years ago). All around better specs then the Pyra... especially GPU wise.

Okay... but it's still not what many here in the community wants. We want a true Linux desktop environment, we want a flexible device, we don't want an enormous water-cooled monster that only gets an hour and a half of battery life like the shield. The OMAP5 was the best we could get at them time, the Pyra has a modular design so we can eventually upgrade. 

It's not a device for everyone, I just see no appeal in all these generic android machines. 

edit, I also despise my phone for lacking a physical keyboard, wish they would make an an android device like the old Samsung Alias phones.

blimpsgo180 said:
1 minute ago, blimpsgo180 said:

Even then, it seems like hardware is evolving faster than developers can optimize source code. Look at the nVidia Shield (released two years ago). All around better specs then the Pyra... especially GPU wise.

Okay... but it's still not what many here in the community wants. We want a true Linux desktop environment, we want a flexible device, we don't want an enormous water-cooled monster that only gets an hour and a half of battery life like the shield. The OMAP5 was the best we could get at them time, the Pyra has a modular design so we can eventually upgrade.
There's a market for Pyra. I will buy it. I like the form factor, battery life, ability to underclock it, the fact that it can hold every NES, SNES, GBA, Genesis, and DS game ever made and more.

But there's a lot going on in the portable device market today. PS2 emulation on a handheld like the GPD XD is huge, even if the device is ugly as sin. Maybe Pyra will get there. If not, its successor certainly will. But we can't just live in a bubble and ignore the alternatives.

Fair enough and I'll be honest, gaming is not the biggest draw for me on the Pandora and Pyra.

Trashy pretty much covered everything I would reply.  I need one device I can carry with me that will allow me to compile code, remotely log into a client's server for troubleshooting and entertain me on long flights.  The XD is a nice system and I bought two so that my son and I could play together, but the pandora and soon the pyra are the only systems that meet all of my needs.

The form factor of the GPD is just bad. There's too much wasted space and I'd rather have the screen between the controls in any case, including the Dragonbox devices, where a bottom sliding keyboard would be my preference too since it would enable more stability for touchscreen related stuff and would cut down the size while gaming in half, but anyway.

PS2 on a GPD?

Is there even an ARM emulator for a PS2 out there?

I just wanted to ask the same question, since I haven't found any video to PS2 on GPD.

The form factor of the GPD is just bad. There's too much wasted space and I'd rather have the screen between the controls in any case, including the Dragonbox devices, where a bottom sliding keyboard would be my preference too since it would enable more stability for touchscreen related stuff and would cut down the size while gaming in half, but anyway.

I just wanted to ask the same question, since I haven't found any video to PS2 on GPD.

PCSX2 is killing my new PC and not every game is running full speed... it's not an over the top system, but I really don't think that a portable device has already so much power...

Apparently someone has written a PS2 emulator for Android (and Windows, OSX, and iOS)

I can't find any information about how it runs on GPD XD (considering they named it simply "Play" finding any information at all was pretty challenging), but here's a recent video of it running on the Shield Tablet.  Seems to run well at first but if you skip to halfway you can see it chugging along at about 1/4 speed, 14 or 15 fps, and I don't see Street Fighter being an incredibly CPU demanding game.  If this is how it runs on a Tegra K1 I can't see it running any better on an RK3288.  Not sure where the "handles PS2 emulation pretty freaking well" comment spawned from.

PCSX2 is killing my new PC and not every game is running full speed... it's not an over the top system, but I really don't think that a portable device has already so much power...

Really? My 6 year old office PC handles PCSX2 in HD perfectly on WinXP when I don't throw "Shadow of the Colossus" at it, but this game is a special case anyway.

Maybe your overhead is too huge?

BTW: Is there an easy package of the current version of PCSX2 for 64bit Ubuntu/Mint out there by now?

Apparently someone has written a PS2 emulator for Android (and Windows, OSX, and iOS)

I can't find any information about how it runs on GPD XD (considering they named it simply "Play" finding any information at all was pretty challenging)

Worst choice of a name they could think of?

Really? My 6 year old office PC handles PCSX2 in HD perfectly on WinXP when I don't throw "Shadow of the Colossus" at it, but this game is a special case anyway.

Maybe your overhead is too huge?

Well, I mainly play at SotC ;)  Actually it was the only reason I had to use such emulator... the other games I tried runs indeed pretty well, but I always see the CPU fully busy with it

Well, I mainly play at SotC ;)  Actually it was the only reason I had to use such emulator... the other games I tried runs indeed pretty well, but I always see the CPU fully busy with it

Well, there's emulating PS2 and there's emulating SotC. ;)

Closest Pyra alternative is Pandira.

Next is the IBM PC-110.

ce300a.jpg

For all who search the Playstation 2 OpenSource Emulator.

The Name of it is "Play!"

And you can find many more Informations on their Site: http://purei.org

Ptitseb know this too and maybe we can get it on the Pyra too.

And i hope for a Just for Fun Pandora Version

Shurly with a few FPS but maybe 2D Games work slowly without Sound :)

Closest Pyra alternative is Pandira.

Next is the IBM PC-110.

ce300a.jpg

Nope, next is the Sharp Zaurus. Much closer to a Pyra/Pandora. Small ARM computer running Linux. It's just older than a Pandora and without gamepad controls.

Back