Alternatives to the pyra?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jornada_%28PDA%29#Jornada_720

HP_Jornada_720.JPG

BTW, took the time to read a bit more about the Smach Z on their KS page, and look what I found! (Around the middle of the page, below the Pro specs and above the rewards section)

• SteamOS is based on Linux and allows users to develop their own features.
  • Open Platform: We want to keep SMACH Z an open console, if you prefer to install other OS (Windows, Android,...) you are free to do whatever you want with it (however we will give support on Steam OS). We will give to the community all the info a codes needed to support other OS or develop additional features.

Let's see where this is when the device is out, but at least the intended direction in this regard is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's obviously what they did. I don't think that any handheld made in the next 10 years can run Witcher 3 if there's no custom made version for it.

Anyway, the modular button pads are a very cool idea and if there's a way to somehow jailbreak it and use it without any Steam software, it would be quite interesting.

ba4a80bb2b0e0bed400bd8c49c31f52c_original.png

At some point on the video they told it is able to run every game already on the market... but also they specify it will be able to run "at least" a definite number of steam-games from the beginning... so maybe they are really telling that it will be able to run every game already playable on "Steam OS"... so that also means that "The Witcher 3" will not run at all

so maybe they are really telling that it will be able to run every game already playable on "Steam OS"... so that also means that "The Witcher 3" will not run at all

Last I knew Witcher 3 was still slated to have a Linux / SteamOS port in the near futcher, like they did with Witcher 2.

Last I knew Witcher 3 was still slated to have a Linux / SteamOS port in the near futcher, like they did with Witcher 2.

I only had a little search about the argument, but I just see people complaining and calling them liars, also I seen bad reviews of the linux version of W2, seems like it is somewhat emulated... so I don't know how the 3 will become playable

I only had a little search about the argument, but I just see people complaining and calling them liars, also I seen bad reviews of the linux version of W2, seems like it is somewhat emulated... so I don't know how the 3 will become playable

True, W2 is not a native port, it uses eon, similar to wine. It worked better with wine when they released it, but it seems it works better now.

Native games should work better, but they will need to optimize them for the device.

Ah didn't know this was used an emulation layer, I bought it, got bored with it quickly. Alien: Isolation held my attention more when that was released.

It also doesn't have bluetooth, apparently, so you can't even use it with a bt keyboard.  I'm sure other tablet+game control android devices do have bluetooth though.

Another issue for me personally is that these devices run android, thereby running an older kernel and probably not receiving regular updates.  If I only used it for emulating games, that wouldn't be much of a problem (although I'd want to reflash it fairly regularly to stop it being turned into a zombie on my network), but my Pandora has various bits of personal data on it.  I guess I'm just repeating that my Pandora has much more utility than even a smart phone for me though.

details, details... ;)

Add a keyboard and that thingy is still an compared cheap device. The usual android-update-issue is a bigger issue of course. What's so hard to make Android an regular updated OS on all of it's devices? Even Microsoft is able to do this now with it's Win10 Mobile, so it can't be that hard.

details, details... ;)

Add a keyboard and that thingy is still an compared cheap device. The usual android-update-issue is a bigger issue of course. What's so hard to make Android an regular updated OS on all of it's devices? Even Microsoft is able to do this now with it's Win10 Mobile, so it can't be that hard.

Using Microsoft as the example of the least competent software company made my day (and is quite true).

Is that any good? 

Not got one myself, I suspect it'll be at best OK in terms of overall quality but for that price it'll still be great value for money. Not been able to find who makes these or anyone else who sells them though.

I've had both of those gaming tablets, the JXD and the Archos ... neither of which are as good as the Pandora for emulating on, and the Pyra will be better than Pandora.

Also these things are large, you can't carry them around in a pocket ... unless you're a kangaroo

The JXD was nicer than the Archos imo, with nicer controls

I've owned quite a few of the Chinese made gaming tablets;  The s7300c and s7800b from jxd, the L1 from Ibenx, and the the Q9psv and 2 XDs from GPD.  With the exception of the XDs, I've had to open every one of them to fix some design or quality shortcoming. The XDs are actually pretty good quality units.  They've all been fun to play and tinker with.

None of them hold a candle to the pandora though.  I owned 2 pandoras and ended up selling them to cover some medical bills thinking I would be able to purchase a new one after things got settled.  That was my worst mistake.  I found it near impossible to purchase a new pandora since they are no longer being made and folks snap them up any time one becomes available.  I won't be making the same mistake with the Pyra.  I've got my pre-preorder in and once I have my Pyra, I won't be giving it up for any reason.

I've owned quite a few of the Chinese made gaming tablets;  The s7300c and s7800b from jxd, the L1 from Ibenx, and the the Q9psv and 2 XDs from GPD.  With the exception of the XDs, I've had to open every one of them to fix some design or quality shortcoming. The XDs are actually pretty good quality units.  They've all been fun to play and tinker with.

None of them hold a candle to the pandora though.  I owned 2 pandoras and ended up selling them to cover some medical bills thinking I would be able to purchase a new one after things got settled.  That was my worst mistake.  I found it near impossible to purchase a new pandora since they are no longer being made and folks snap them up any time one becomes available.  I won't be making the same mistake with the Pyra.  I've got my pre-preorder in and once I have my Pyra, I won't be giving it up for any reason.
Could you please specify the advantage of using a Pandora over a GPD XD? I've seen videos of the XD and it handles PS2 emulation pretty freaking well. That's a -huge- selling point.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Could you please specify the advantage of using a Pandora over a GPD XD? I've seen videos of the XD and it handles PS2 emulation pretty freaking well. That's a -huge- selling point.

Imagine doing any sort of programming on GPD XD, perhaps you need to do some command line utilities and such. How about games that make heavy use of the keyboard. What if I was on a bus and need to hammer out a quick paper in Libreoffice. The selling point of the Pandora and Pyra is that it's flexible into realms outside of gaming.

blimpsgo180 said:
2 hours ago, blimpsgo180 said:

Imagine doing any sort of programming on GPD XD, command line utilities and such. How about games that make heavy use of the keyboard. What if I was on a bus and need to hammer out a quick paper in Libreoffice. The selling point of the Pandora and Pyra is that it's flexible into realms outside of gaming.

I've always viewed having a keyboard with Pandora (and now Pyra) as a means of playing Amiga, Commodore 64, etc. style games on a portable. For hammering out a paper, I'd rather use a iPad / tablet. Heck, I'm typing away just fine on my Android phone --right now--...

I appreciate Pandora for having developers who don't charge for emulators that are originally open source (like you see on Android all the time). That's mainly why I support it. But a bullet point like PS2 emulation is huge.

Back