Alexkidd2x V0.2 Released

Puck2099

Certified Guru
Website
www.gp32wip.com
Hi,

Here you have a new version of my SMS/GG emulator :)

The new features are:
  • Code completely rewritten from SDL to Rlyeh Minilib obtaining a 15% of speed increase (Alex Kidd in Miracle World runs almost 100% at 166 Mhz).
  • Sound improvements, now runs at 44100 Hz and sounds "clearly".
  • Added volume control.
  • Added optional FPS board.
  • Increased speed in ROM selector.
  • Added personalized game configuration (it is saved automatically when launched).
  • Saved cursor position on ROMs selector so you don't have to start from the beggining when selecting a new ROM.
  • Added combination to delete ROMs from the selector.
  • Fixed some minor bugs.
You can download it from here: AlexKidd2X v0.2

Sorry for my bad English :unsure:

Regards

Thanks Puck2099.
I had a nice play of many classics with this new version.
Nice to have all the new features (volume control is a must as I tried the emu late at night :ph34r: )
The rom selector is quite nice now and this emu is sooo fast.
I'll post the issues I got with some games.

Excellent work. Love it. Very good work.

One question - you can map the A and B button currently, is there any way to map the other buttons too? Playing Bank Panic for example, you need to press "up" as one of the controls, it would be nice to assign this function to one of the GP2x buttons. Is each game configurable independently?

bacteria posted on May 9 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
One question - you can map the A and B button currently, is there any way to map the other buttons too? Playing Bank Panic for example, you need to press "up" as one of the controls, it would be nice to assign this function to one of the GP2x buttons.

Uhm, at the moment you can only map A, B and Pause buttons, but you are right, I've also played Bank Panic and it is uncomfortable to fire using UP direction.

In next version you will be able to remap also directions. Thanks for the suggestion :)

bacteria posted on May 9 2006 at 02:26 PM said:
Is each game configurable independently?

Yes, they are configurable independently so you can save a button layout and the better speed/frameskip configuration for each game :)

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Puck -

I just wasted a few hours last night playing Sonic. So much fun. The new additions to the selector menu are wonderful.

I would like to make one suggestion however. Could the roms be stored in /roms instead of within the alexkidd2x directory?

Really wonderful work. By the way, I really like the button mapping for save/load save state, quite easy to use.

Thanks

meancode posted on May 9 2006 at 03:16 PM said:
I would like to make one suggestion however. Could the roms be stored in /roms instead of within the alexkidd2x directory?

Uhm, I like more within alexkidd2x directory, but I will include a configuration file so you could especify your favourite roms path :)

Really wonderful work. By the way, I really like the button mapping for save/load save state, quite easy to use.

Thanks again! The sound is way better now! Also it's so nice to have the emulator running on a low mhz speed. Very nice work.

geise69 posted on May 9 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
Thanks again! The sound is way better now! Also it's so nice to have the emulator running on a low mhz speed. Very nice work.

I have just achieved a new version faster :)

I have to implement palette control (i'm using a random palette so colors are random) but it runs Alex Kidd at 107% speed at 133 Mhz :)

Regards

it's possible to have an option to rotate Up side down the screen and using A, B, X and Y to the pad and Vol+ and Vol - to button 1 and 2?

I'd love it if I could configure settings in that config file you speak of, Puck. It's nice to have settings for each game, but it takes too long to set them all. If I could make a configuration that works across all the games, and skips the config screen, that would be great.

Puck2099 posted on May 9 2006 at 02:33 PM said:

Uhm, I like more within alexkidd2x directory, but I will include a configuration file so you could especify your favourite roms path :)

I too like to keep all my roms in a /roms/ directory in a /sms/ for example.

Out of interest, is this thing using DrZ80, or a core of your own devising? And if the latter, is there any chance of an attempt to implement the former and see what happens?

I'm most impressed with 133MHz for better than full speed (I'm assuming FS0) - that's the first emu, possibly bar DrMD, on the 2x that's really made strides over the majority of GP32 equivalents. Yes, I know DrSMS runs at ridiculously low speeds and gets full speed games, but the other emulators run at 133, typically, iirc, and still require frameskip.

Back